Game #46 vs Panthers 7:00pm EST Thursday Jan 19 2023

DON

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #46 vs Panthers 7:00pm EST Thursday Jan 19 2023

Every time the Habs win, comments sections are filled with cranky tankologists complaining that this will cost us Bedard.

Since we are highly unlikely to get Bedard no matter what - there are too many terrible teams jostling for last place - I think this is a game where we can comfortably unite and cheer for the team to win. The realistic prize for the draft is two top-10 picks. And that requires handing FLA a big fat L.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would LOVE for the Habs to win tonight but they have a lot of injuries and Florida is playing much better so I fully expect Florida to win. I predict a 5-2 Florida win. Hopefully I just put the hex on them.  

Reverse retro jersey night so I expect a very lopsided Florida win. 

Habs have been out scored 18-5 while wearing those jerseys

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Reverse retro jersey night so I expect a very lopsided Florida win. 

Habs have been out scored 18-5 while wearing those jerseys

I wonder if there is anything at all in the idea that the jerseys have an effect on the players’ mindset. It’s like the infamous barber pole unis - if players go out there feeling like clowns, aren’t they more likely to lose? I dunno, but I don’t completely rule out the idea that lame third jerseys have some sort of psychological effect. You’re wearing the proper Habs’ jersey, that’s something special. You’re wearing the ridiculous PJs, that’s like “loser time.”

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder if there is anything at all in the idea that the jerseys have an effect on the players’ mindset. It’s like the infamous barber pole unis - if players go out there feeling like clowns, aren’t they more likely to lose? I dunno, but I don’t completely rule out the idea that lame third jerseys have some sort of psychological effect. You’re wearing the proper Habs’ jersey, that’s something special. You’re wearing the ridiculous PJs, that’s like “loser time.”

I think it has no effect. 

Is the record bad in the jerseys? yes.  But that has more to do with the fact that the team is shit, than anything else IMO.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think it has no effect. 

Is the record bad in the jerseys? yes.  But that has more to do with the fact that the team is shit, than anything else IMO.

While it shouldn’t have any effect the mind is a crazy thing capable of crazy things. 

But Commandant’s explanation is likely the correct one - this team isn’t good. 

Also they started wearing the jerseys after their surprising start, when they fell into sucking during December/January.  They have sucked in all three jerseys during this time.  There have been games they have been blown out in the reds and whites too. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Every time the Habs win, comments sections are filled with cranky tankologists complaining that this will cost us Bedard.

Since we are highly unlikely to get Bedard no matter what - there are too many terrible teams jostling for last place - I think this is a game where we can comfortably unite and cheer for the team to win. The realistic prize for the draft is two top-10 picks. And that requires handing FLA a big fat L.

I agree, my expectation is to have two draft picks in the top 10 to 6 range

Go, Habs Go!

I hope they don't win one for the coach

(he was so funny when he laughed at the refs, and said that it was something between him and the refs why they didn't get calls their way)

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, my expectation is to have two draft picks in the top 10 to 6 range

Go, Habs Go!

I would love to have 2 picks in the top 10 but I don't expect it anymore.  I now think one in the top 6-8 and one in the 14-20 range. 

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would love to have 2 picks in the top 10 but I don't expect it anymore.  I now think one in the top 6-8 and one in the 14-20 range. 

17-20th means you expect the Panthers make the playoffs and lose in the first round ... I just don't see them making it, but I expect them to be in the chase ... so 12-16th ... draft wise I just hope the Habs end up drafting as high as possible (between a low-finish and lottery luck).

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

17-20th means you expect the Panthers make the playoffs and lose in the first round ... I just don't see them making it, but I expect them to be in the chase ... so 12-16th ... draft wise I just hope the Habs end up drafting as high as possible (between a low-finish and lottery luck).

It wouldn't shock me if they slipped into the last wild card spot. Definitely a possibility.  I expect they will make the playoffs or come close which is why I think 14-20.  Pittsburgh seems to be faltering and their stars are old. Still a long ways to go. 

Certainly we all hope the Habs draft as high as possible.  Lottery luck would be fantastic. 

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It wouldn't shock me if they slipped into the last wild card spot. Definitely a possibility.  I expect they will make the playoffs or come close which is why I think 14-20.  Pittsburgh seems to be faltering and their stars are old. Still a long ways to go.

It may be the PIT will slip. But if they want to grab that spot, they'll also have to beat out NYI, BUF, PHI and DET, all of whom are just as much in the mix as the Panthers are. FLA won't be able to rely on one or two teams faltering to slip into the playoffs, they'll need to outplay five other teams.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It may be the PIT will slip. But if they want to grab that spot, they'll also have to beat out NYI, BUF, PHI and DET, all of whom are just as much in the mix as the Panthers are. FLA won't be able to rely on one or two teams faltering to slip into the playoffs, they'll need to outplay five other teams.

yes. For that reason, I think they may "sell" or shed a handful of contracts at the deadline to better align for next year's run. I feel like their club is not well constructed to get to the playoffs or to win a few series

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's true, they will have to beat out those teams.  I think Florida is way better than Philly while  NYI, BUF and Det all seem too inconsistent. Would love to be wrong and have one of those teams get hot and play better than Florida the rest of the way but if I was a betting man I would pick Florida over those teams. 

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes. For that reason, I think they may "sell" or shed a handful of contracts at the deadline to better align for next year's run. I feel like their club is not well constructed to get to the playoffs or to win a few series

I agree that Florida is likely thinking next year when they have some contract relief with Yandle's hit substantially reduced and Hornqvist's contract coming off the books. They won't make "tanking" type trades as there is no advantage to them of  falling in the standings but they will look for opportunities to better position themselves for next year. It will be more hockey type trades if they make any. 

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree that Florida is likely thinking next year when they have some contract relief with Yandle's hit substantially reduced and Hornqvist's contract coming off the books. They won't make "tanking" type trades as there is no advantage to them of  falling in the standings but they will look for opportunities to better position themselves for next year. It will be more hockey type trades if they make any. 

Agreed