Game #46 vs Panthers 7:00pm EST Thursday Jan 19 2023

DON

Should be clear goalie interference, but these are 50/50 at the best of times.

Not shocked that it wasn't called back.  I guess since the puck was in the air, there was no way Montembeault could save it, because great saves never happen in the NHL.

What the hell, I figured that goal would be overturned with the review.  The NHL really needs to have transparency on how they determine goalie interference.  

Oh well, hopefully Cole gets sprung on a breakaway when he gets out of the penalty box.  Crap, nope, Flor scores with 3 secs left on the PP. 

This game is just a dumpster fire. Too many men on the ice twice within two minutes. Four PPG allowed. 33 shots on goal. Five goals allowed by Motembeault ... and yet that's still better than the 5.55 xGA. What a disaster.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Montembault doesn’t deserve this score. 

I can’t remember another back to back too many men penalties that quickly. The entire period was kind of a farce. 

Perhaps Xhekaj breaks that dudes face in the third

Monty isnt exactly playing bad, nor are the Habs really.   This game is a dumpster fire primarily due to the reffing.  

I'm uncertain if WiFI will go after the guy that hit him from behind or that Giovani Smith idiot for punching him in the head at the end of the period.  Either way, WiFi is going to beat the hell out of at least 1 Panther if not 2. 

54 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

FLA now has two injured goalies … I still remember Habs’ last season.

So the Panthers can win and the game will still make a contribution to their improving the Habs second first rounder.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm uncertain if WiFI will go after the guy that hit him from behind or that Giovani Smith idiot for punching him in the head at the end of the period.

For the record, despite Bryan Mudryk's repeated mispronunciation, it's Givani Smith - there's no 'o'.  One would think a professional broadcaster might be inclined to look that up considering his job is to call the game involving players' names.  At this point, I'm hoping he never sees the ice in the third so I don't have to hear him butcher it repeatedly for another 20 minutes.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting ruling on the first goal - since they ruled it didn't prevent the goal from happening, they didn't call it.  That's not one you see very often.

Goalie interference calls are completely random events, like tornadoes. 

8 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Monty isnt exactly playing bad, nor are the Habs really.   This game is a dumpster fire primarily due to the reffing. 

5-on-5 shots are 15-5 and high-danger chances 10-3.  And, yeah, Panthers have another 10 high-danger chances on the power play, but it's not only the refs. (Too many men on the ice, twice, was unquestionable anyway. I don't know who's managing the shift changes (apparently not St-Louis) but that's a coaching issue.

I really don’t like fighting anymore. It’s just useless to the game. 

19 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not sure if I'd be playing Cole for the rest of this game.  

I was writing that before the new penalties  lol

Gotta agree, it’s pretty savage out there 

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs showed they're good at throwing tantrums and running around looking for fights when things aren't going their way.  I know that's not the type of fight I want to see from this team. 

agreed, but I liked to see that the Habs défense men are able to go into traffic and to play in a chippy game.

I liked seeing Anderson play physical, he looked much more alive

the two too many men and the coaching challenge broke the Habs back. Without Evans, Armia and Guhle, it was a better of time before the Habs crumbled on the PK

I am happy for thé draft 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

agreed, but I liked to see that the Habs défense men are able to go into traffic and to play in a chippy game.

Agreed on this part, but there's a difference between the ability to play in a chippy game and what the Habs were doing when the score got out of hand.  They didn't prove anything in that third period, at least anything good. 

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Agreed on this part, but there's a difference between the ability to play in a chippy game and what the Habs were doing when the score got out of hand.  They didn't prove anything in that third period, at least anything good. 

it is part of the learning process.

MSL in the post game said he is happy with the way they played the 3rd

that he liked the team was not thinking of TOR on Saturday but that they “finished the game”

I will believe him at face value 

Good summary:

http://www.habsworld.net/2023/01/habs-lose-in-fight-night-at-the-bell-centre/

Montembeault played well in the first 

after the hit to the head to Eric Staal by Matheson, the game went back in time to the late

80s

Ylonen is more soft than Drouin   😲

I wasn’t sure but Friolet on RDS confirmed after the game that it was the first time MSL has pulled a goalie in a game.

Goalies have won 6 to 10 games this season; which may explain the reluctance to pull a goalie. It was good to see Primeau play a little bit

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

5-on-5 shots are 15-5 and high-danger chances 10-3.  And, yeah, Panthers have another 10 high-danger chances on the power play, but it's not only the refs. (Too many men on the ice, twice, was unquestionable anyway. I don't know who's managing the shift changes (apparently not St-Louis) but that's a coaching issue.

Ya, that is true, but positionally they were playing fairly decent.  Most games that they let in 6 goals they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off in the d-zone.  The main reason they lost is their luck ran out. In the last 2 games they won every bounce and lose puck ended up on their sticks.  However, in this game it was like they were cursed because every loose puck missed them by 6-12 inches.  Except for the too many men too many times they didn't lose from constantly doing wrong things.

I thought the score could have been close. Dvorak almost scored twice, and numerous others had good scoring chances too.  During their 7 game losing streak that couldn't be said.  

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I really don’t like fighting anymore. It’s just useless to the game.  

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Perhaps Xhekaj breaks that dudes face in the third

?

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I thought the score could have been close. 

Were we watching the same game?

It is always the losing team that uses the refs as an excuse isnt it?

I didnt think hit on Xhekaj was that bad, likely should of been a penalty, but thats hockey. I actually thought Xhekaj was gonna try the ol reverse hit before being hit move, but just made pass instead.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2023/1/20/23560404/habs-vs-panthers-farcical-officiating-causes-game-get-out-of-hand-xhekaj-gudas-smith-matheson-staal

4 for 8 on the PK uggg.

Big game for Pitlick, 2 pts in 11:08.

Harris with 3 shots.

Anderson with 6 shots, has had a couple good games lately it seems.

Ylonen 14:52 (17:30 vs Jets), getting good chance to play, nice to see.

Barron is on fire:nuts:, 3 pts last 2 games.

Primeau stopped 6 of 7 and goal against was tip in front.

Savard 9:49/Edmundson 9:58 on the PK, good workout. But with 7-d, none even played 20minutes.

AND

Dach 6 for 8 on faceoffs (Dvorak 11 for 16).:clap: