Cole Caufield out for the season

dlbalr

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Welp.  No reason to.watch the rest of the season.

That's where I'm at too.  Going to have to start streaming some series I missed out on when they originally aired to fill in the evening TV hours I guess.

But he didn’t get to 29 goals like I predicted ! :nuts:

joking aside, I hope he returns in full form next year and I sincerely hope this does not become a recurring nagging I jury for Tweety bird

🤮

The good news: this happened in a season when nothing is at stake. Better now then, say, when we are making a run at a Cup.

That being said, I am sick and tired of Habs’ stars suffering massive injuries. Markov, Price, and Koivu - our three best players of the past three decades - all suffered career-compromising injuries. Not saying this is career-compromising (it had better not be!!) but sometimes it feels like the universe is conspiring against Habs fans’ ability to enjoy star players.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Oh well, guess we will now see how Captain Suzuki does with different wingmen. Be great to see him develop some chemistry with one of them.

Holy God, if he’s on a 50-goal pace when playing hurt, what will he do when healthy???? 

• Upvote 1

I’ve seen the question asked if the injuries will hamper HoGo’s trade plans because we need all bodies. 

I personally don’t think it does because a prospect is likely part of the returning package. Failing that we can sign a couple of washed up vets to finish the season. 

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The only good news is this should almost guarantee a top-3 pick.  

No, are numerous very bad teams and 3rd might be tough hope, but think a top ten pick locked up.

image.png

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Would they put him on LTIR to free up some cap space?

They could do that, same with Slafkovsky, Evans, Gallagher, etc.  Until they need to do that though, they won't.  Monahan's return will be the trigger point for the next move; if they can't get enough others off the cap by then, then it'll probably be Gallagher that goes.  By the time he's ready to come back, some of the selloff moves will have started and they'll have some flexibility there.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That provides a bit of comfort at least, they're doing this early enough so that it won't linger into training camp.

Yes that does provide a bit of comfort.  It sucks to lose him but get him 100% for next year and maybe the injury will make him think a bit more about the security of a long term contract.  He is a huge part of the Habs future. 

Looking for a sliver of a silver lining ... the possibility of moving some players to LTIR may give HuGo more latitude in taking back expiring contracts, retaining salary or being the "third team" in deadline deals.

• CC is officially out for the season
  • IMO Slafkovsky logically should be the season (a handful of games to finish the year isn't worth the risk unless he is 200%)
  • Guhle is out a minimum of 8 weeks (until March 3rd) which is only 6 weeks from the end of the season ... "minimum often/usually means to be re-assessed at that time, so if it extends for even a couple of weeks is it worth bringing him back

Those three are almost $2.7M in AAV ... about a week after Guhle, Gallagher was announced out at least 6 weeks, so shortly before the trade deadline they will know his status ... Evans is out until mid-March, minimum ... all that to say that come trade deadline HuGo ***COULD*** could have some not insignificant LTIR space.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’ve seen the question asked if the injuries will hamper HoGo’s trade plans because we need all bodies. 

I personally don’t think it does because a prospect is likely part of the returning package. Failing that we can sign a couple of washed up vets to finish the season. 

A complication in this is the 50 contract ceiling ... Habs are using 46 ... some deadline deals ***could*** involve taking back more than one contract ... and HuGo may have their eye on some NCAA free agents for whom signing for playing avgame(s) and burning a year on their ELC could be the difference between signing or not ... the NCAA playoffs start in early march and the Frozon Four in is April 6th and 8th ... so HuGo may be reticent to invest too much in washed up vets not acquired in trades ... Laval likely to be the victim=m as their roster will be strip-mined and only able to back-fill with career AHL/ECHL types.

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This is the first time that I’ve seen anything about questions regarding the effectiveness of the Habs medical team. 

There may well be valid question about why CC was allowed to play, unless the original injury was more of an irritation that was aggravated, resulting in the need for surgery ... maayyybbbbeeeee Monahan as well.

But otherwise I think it is just a LaPresse writer having a knee jerk reaction to the bad luck the Habs have experienced that "someone must be to blame".

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

A complication in this is the 50 contract ceiling ... Habs are using 46 ... some deadline deals ***could*** involve taking back more than one contract ... and HuGo may have their eye on some NCAA free agents for whom signing for playing avgame(s) and burning a year on their ELC could be the difference between signing or not ... the NCAA playoffs start in early march and the Frozon Four in is April 6th and 8th ... so HuGo may be reticent to invest too much in washed up vets not acquired in trades ... Laval likely to be the victim=m as their roster will be strip-mined and only able to back-fill with career AHL/ECHL types.

Yes, and a series of PTOs could be used to fill in Laval with Echl -lite players without affecting the contract limit 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

There may well be valid question about why CC was allowed to play, unless the original injury was more of an irritation that was aggravated, resulting in the need for surgery ... maayyybbbbeeeee Monahan as well.

But otherwise I think it is just a LaPresse writer having a knee jerk reaction to the bad luck the Habs have experienced that "someone must be to blame".

I have no insight or know anything about Habs medical staff and systems but Engels does make a pretty good point here: