Game #51 - Jan 31, 2023, Habs vs Sens

hockeyrealist

Storylines:

Can Habs rebound from 5-0 smack from Sens last game and head into break on high note?

Will Dach continue strong play?

How will the Habs depleted défense hold up?

How badly does Suzuki need a break?

14 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Sweet Jesus, that lineup is sad.

Long-term forwards in the lineup: Suzuki, Dach, maybe Anderson, maybe Ylonen

D-corps a bit better: Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, maybe Kovacevic

Most others will end up either being traded/going UFA over the next few years or returning to Laval.

11 players (plus Price) on IR is pretty grim.

Entertaining game, liked the Habs refusal to quit.

Dach continue to impress at C.

Hoffman helping his trade value.

RHP even looks like young Gallagher (scored Gally type of goals, apparently models game after Gally).

It was a decent game.  RHP is on fire, Hoffman upped his trade value, Sens remain above Habs in standings.

I was bummed on the Sens 4th goal.  Ironically, over the last few games I was starting to like Matheson. However, on that goal he was in the way of the shot and he chickened out of blocking it by turning at the last second.  That pissed me off.  

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Third period was entertaining and I think this leaves Ottawa only 3 points back. 

Only three points back from Florida, yes, and two games in hand. That wild card race has eight teams in the thick of it!

I watched this game and enjoyed seeing Hoffman take quality shots even though he hit the post. Lavallagher was great, and Suzuki was good.

Boucher, on RDS, told the story on how MSL used to tell him that NHL players cannot go 100% all the time, that they should be at 85% most of the time and that only in key games they should dig deep to reach that extra level. Boucher said that he disagreed at the time when coaching TBL but that he now agreed: MSL was right.

I see that 85% thing with a lot of players on the Has and I believe it is by design. The Laval line made it obvious how they were pedal to the metal in the few games they played compared to the rest of the team. I find that Suzuki is learning this season to be an 85% player, and that is OK since he is still getting points and getting results.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I watched this game and enjoyed seeing Hoffman take quality shots even though he hit the post. Lavallagher was great, and Suzuki was good.

Boucher, on RDS, told the story on how MSL used to tell him that NHL players cannot go 100% all the time, that they should be at 85% most of the time and that only in key games they should dig deep to reach that extra level. Boucher said that he disagreed at the time when coaching TBL but that he now agreed: MSL was right.

I see that 85% thing with a lot of players on the Has and I believe it is by design. The Laval line made it obvious how they were pedal to the metal in the few games they played compared to the rest of the team. I find that Suzuki is learning this season to be an 85% player, and that is OK since he is still getting points and getting results.

That’s really interesting and I can’t remember ever hearing such a strategy. 

Considering the success of the Laval line that is hauling ass every shift, I have to question if St. Louis is right on this. 

Perhaps it has more to do with saving some gas for the playoffs?

Fun game.

2 PP goals!

Good one for the captain to start all-star break with, 2a 5 shots 68% on FO.

Harvey-Pinard eh, hmmm nice.

Only 9:58 for Ylonen, BOOoo. But i guess Hoffman was productive in his 20:49. 

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/01/hard-luck-loss-in-final-game-before-the-break/

I was only 1/2 disappointed when Sens got the last goal though.:ph34r:

Between now and the next time we play the Sens, someone needs to sit Xhekaj down and explain to him that it's okay to take an instigator penalty during a tank year.  Tkachuk shouldn't be able to get that close and run his mouth, then be saved by the linesmen without eating any punches. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Considering the success of the Laval line that is hauling ass every shift, I have to question if St. Louis is right on this. 

I have been critical of some player like Suzuki who seem to glide on some shifts and are not as combative as they where earlier in their careers. I heard the commentaries from some reporters questioning the long shifts from Caufield and Suzuki and the lack of urgency in some PPs.

It was refreshing to hear Guy Boucher's mention the 85% effort story. This, combined with Hughes view that the NHL/AHL is a flat organization where he wants to put his prospects closer to where the resources are (NHL) than to spread them, is helping me better understand the Canadiens' new philosophy.

Let's see how they continue to play until the trade deadline and what changes come in the summer.

Apparently, it was only the Habs 4th game that they had 2 PPG's.  That stat is definitely embarrassing.   

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I'm not sure if its a strategy in that sense, it's probably more related to endurance.  i.e. think wind sprints, where someone can do it, but they are unable to constantly wind sprint everywhere they go. 

The 85% concept might be due to the long season that players can't play all out for the entire year.  The Laval guys are AHLers and new to the NHL so they probably aren't thinking in terms of holding some back.  Plus, they know they wont be around for the entire season. 

Also, that 85% might not apply to 4th line energy type guys that don't get a ton of TOI.  However, those guys often play at 110% so they likely would have to not play full out on some shifts. 

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Between now and the next time we play the Sens, someone needs to sit Xhekaj down and explain to him that it's okay to take an instigator penalty during a tank year.  Tkachuk shouldn't be able to get that close and run his mouth, then be saved by the linesmen without eating any punches. 

Disagree 100%.

This immature BS needs to go away.

Tkachuk is an awesome player and getting into a fight with Xhekaj (or Shae Weber ) wont change his play one iota.

Xhekaj already had bit of  a shock in that game, when misjudged his strength, he tried to catch Tkachuk with a preemptive hit and got tossed into the boards.

• Upvote 1

I approve of the way Xhekaj handled yesteday's game. He and Savard pretty much shut down the Senators' top line, and he didn't allow Tkachuk to bait him into taking the instigator penalty.

Now, if Tkachuk actually dares to drop his gloves (first) instead of just yapping, I'm happy to see Xhekaj pummel him.

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Apparently, it was only the Habs 4th game that they had 2 PPG's.  That stat is definitely embarrassing.  

You mean there were three others where they scored two?  I wouldn't have guessed they had that 'many'...

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #51 - Jan 31, 2023, Habs vs Sens