Jordan Harris signed

GHT120

@$1.4M per season per TSN 690, and CapFriendly.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

@$1.4M per season per TSN 690, and CapFriendly.

That’s good. I find Harris an interesting player. Smart, shifty, small, non-physical - he could top out as a low-grade Dan Hamhuis, or he could be the second coming of Mete. I like puck-moving, smart defencemen, though, so I’m pulling for him.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That’s good. I find Harris an interesting player. Smart, shifty, small, non-physical - he could top out as a low-grade Dan Hamhuis, or he could be the second coming of Mete. I like puck-moving, smart defencemen, though, so I’m pulling for him.

he is a better defender than Mete. Harris also made me think of Mete too but he has better hockey IQ

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

he is a better defender than Mete. Harris also made me think of Mete too but he has better hockey IQ

I suspect you’re right, but Mete aside, is he going to become a top-4 puck-mover, or a bottom-pairing guy who is often defensively overmatched? That’s the question with Harris. I like him, but it’s important to recognize that he’s still developing and a rosy future is not assured.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

One-way contract, no performance bonuses, according to Capfriendly.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jordan-harris

The current CapFriendly listing is an estimated breakdown, not necessarily the actual.  But yes, we know it's a one-way deal and he's not eligible for performance bonuses.  At this point, the intriguing part will be if it's actually the even split or if it's back-loaded for QO purposes.

Edit: Looks like it's $1.4M straight salary each year, $1.4M QO with arbitration rights in 2025.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suspect you’re right, but Mete aside, is he going to become a top-4 puck-mover, or a bottom-pairing guy who is often defensively overmatched? That’s the question with Harris. I like him, but it’s important to recognize that he’s still developing and a rosy future is not assured.

With what I’ve seen, he looks like a quality 3rd pair D on a cup contending team

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

With what I’ve seen, he looks like a quality 3rd pair D on a cup contending team

It's still early in his development -- and cup-contending teams can be built in many different ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It's still early in his development -- and cup-contending teams can be built in many different ways.

agreed, but on the left side, we have one spot open and a lot of prospects and future draft picks that may have a higher ceiling. Harris is really good on a bottom 8 team, but where would he be playing on the top 8 teams?

image.png

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Exactly.

Its way too early to put a ceiling on the player. 

I agree, I think with his skill level he can potentially/maybe be a 2nd pairing defensemen as his mobility and smarts are strong points.  He needs to get stronger and handle the physical play a bit better which is an adjustment for many young defensemen. I really like his attitude. I am cheering for him. It's a reasonable contract. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, I think with his skill level he can potentially/maybe be a 2nd pairing defensemen as his mobility and smarts are strong points.  He needs to get stronger and handle the physical play a bit better which is an adjustment for many young defensemen. I really like his attitude. I am cheering for him. It's a reasonable contract. 

Exactly, the contract is more than fair for what he's brining right now.  In fact its probably a small bargain today.  It's very reasonable. 

At the same time he's so young and If he takes a step forward next year, then we have him for two years on a really cheap deal. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And if there are too many good-quality young LD, we can always trade one.

from that perspective, if the Habs draft or trade for a better LD than Harris, then Harris becomes a great trade chip. But for now, he is stuck behind Edmundson and Guhle. If the practice defensive pairing are any indication, he may be behind Xhekaj too

Harris can also play on the right side. 

And I doubt Edmundson is even here next year. 

As for the prospects, Guhle is the best LHD.  Harris might be second, or he might be lower than that, but there are no guarantees with prospects so its not bad to have 4 LHD.  If they all work out, one is traded, or moves to the right, or injuries mean we need more than 3.  Lots of things can happen.

• Upvote 1

I like this deal. So far still no mistakes contract wise. The one I’d like to see is the 8 yr deal for Caufield. $8m/8yr. Make it so!

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I like this deal. So far still no mistakes contract wise. The one I’d like to see is the 8 yr deal for Caufield. $8m/8yr. Make it so!

Agree ... but it takes two to tango.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That'd be great.