Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

As of right now I think the highest chance trades will be;

Monahan to Colorado.  Monahan and Colorado have been cropping up since beginning of December.  Lately there have been more reports saying Colorado may be concerned with him health.

Edmundson to Edmonton.  Been reading these reports since about the end of November.  With Edmonton being out on Chychrun and rumors of Garikov not wanting to sign in Canada, it's probably the most likely destination for Edmundson, Edmonton's cap space seems to be the biggest issue.  There's also the rumor of Karlsson to Edmonton, but if Edmundson's cap is an issue, Edmonton would have to get really creative.

I don't see Drouin or Dadanov being traded.  If they do, it'll be cap-related.

I would think Anderson will be in the off-season IF he gets traded.

I think we are going to be disappointed. There are better players of all positions available this deadline. 

Not to mention injury questions around our top two pieces, Edmundson, Monahan. 

Our only hope IMO is to be a good cheap option if any interested party won’t pay the outrageous asks for the other players. 

I think Edmondson and Monohan have both been hurt too long to get a first. We could potentially get one for Edmondson- GM’s are usually stupid in overpaying for dmen. The guy who we should easily get a first + for is Anderson, butnm not sure they want to move him.

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Edmondson and Monohan have both been hurt too long to get a first. 

I think you are correct unfortunately. It could have been a good haul at the deadline if they were both healthy.  Unless it's a trade with some sort of condition where the return depends on how many games the player plays and/or how far the team goes in the playoffs (like the Andrew Copp trade last year).

David Savard is an interesting one. He has been pretty solid this year. He does have 2 more years left but 3.5M is not a terrible cap hit. 

Anderson can go if the offer is right. The rest (ie. Dadonov, Drouin) are maybe late round picks although I have to admit that they have played well lately. The return might be better than we think (wishful thinking).

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think we hold on to Anderson until the draft.

If we don't get top pick and Florida pick isn't a top 10 pick i can see us going to plan B which is PLD. 

I can see a Dovrak and Anderson for PLD type of deal. Or Florida's pick and either one of those guys. 

PLD is a wish, not a plan.

Things seem to be very quiet on the trading front - not just for the Habs, but across the league. Maybe we're still too far out from the deadline, but even the rumour mill seems comparatively low-key. I think the flat cap is really tying a lot of GMs' hands. 

Given Monahan's injuries this year.  I wouldn't be against giving him a one year contract for like 4 million and trying again next year. 

If there isn't trade interest in him at a high level, that should be an indication of his free agent value being depressed too.  I can't see anyone giving him a long term deal, at least not this year. 

5 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Damn...the Leafs improved by acquiring O'Reilly and Acciari.  If they can add a solid D-man, they just might make it out of the first round:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-st-louis-blues-minnesota-wild-three-team-trade-1.1920875

But man would it be funny if they didn't lol. I shouldn't laugh I remember when my KC Chief's couldn't win a playoff game. 

7 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Damn...the Leafs improved by acquiring O'Reilly and Acciari.  If they can add a solid D-man, they just might make it out of the first round:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-st-louis-blues-minnesota-wild-three-team-trade-1.1920875

Agressive trade, but I really don’t know that they got much better.

Maybe if ROR becomes third centre and is sheltered, but he is slow, slower than ever and think time has caught up to him.

He can’t keep up with any of their top 6, and they’ve parted ways with all of their grinding, slow the game down players (Ritchie, Simmonds, etc) which is also how Acciari plays so this seems like a bad fit with team style.

8 hours ago, sbhatt said:

One of the click-bait sites has been pushing "David Savard to Toronto" for a couple of days.

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I don't think we need him to be honest. Plus I'm not a fan of his. When ever he isn't happy he seems to quit on his team. Not someone I want. 

Dach’s emergence as of late as a center pushes the need for Dubois down low.  It only been a short stint, but it’s very positive that Hughes could of got the guy he wanted for the 2C position.

9 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Did they really get better?  Toronto’s issue has been their shaky defence core.  Arguably, their strength is at center.  So the reinforced their strength, didn’t address their weakness, and further cap strapped themselves.

The only way they got better is if they lose Matthews or Tavares before or during the playoffs, so they have a quality center to step in, but losing one of those guys is more of a negative.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

One of the click-bait sites has been pushing "David Savard to Toronto" for a couple of days.

They really don’t have any picks left, so I hope that isn’t the case. Leaf’s probably play Tampa in the first round, we should help solidify them.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They really don’t have any picks left, so I hope that isn’t the case. Leaf’s probably play Tampa in the first round, we should help solidify them.

In fairness to them, it was pre-ROR trade ... I assume you mean reinforce Tampa.

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They still have their 2024st left, Leafs might as well trade it.  Might as well go all the way. 

I think O'Reilly makes the Leafs better because he's a guy known to elevate his game in the playoffs, and is a strong leader who has a cup ring.  That was something lacking in that room IMO.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I think O'Reilly makes the Leafs better because he's a guy known to elevate his game in the playoffs, and is a strong leader who has a cup ring.  That was something lacking in that room IMO.

I agree. I also think there is something to be said for doubling down on your area of strength (C/FW in the case of TO). It’s not the preferred practice, but I suspect it’s valid, especially if your primary goal is to overcome a specific barrier, such as getting out of Round One. The Leafs have gone to Game 7 of the first round on multiple occasions, including giving TB everything they could handle last year. On the one hand, that makes them a running joke, but on the other hand, it shows that they are very, very close. ROR is a major added piece in that context. Unfortunately. 🤮

Maybe the move with Eddy is to keep him for another season and hope he can fetch the Chiarot haul next deadline.

It's a shame what's happened with Monahan, but he was damaged goods when we got him and we already got a 1st rounder to take him. I don't mind Commandant's idea of giving him one year with the hopes of sending him out next deadline, although the chances of him being healthy enough for that don't look great.