Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Michael Hutchinson and a 7th in 2025 go to Columbus who had to eat 50% of the deal to send Quick out there.  I know it was a sunk cost to pick up the picks they got from LA but yikes.  At least they're sending him to a playoff team.

Quick isn't good anymore.  He's an 876 save percentage this season.  Only one season in the last 5 has he been above .905

Just now, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... would LOVE to see the Oilers get ridiculously hot, win the Division, and set up Vegas vs LA in the first round.

Yes, that would be so funny.  I can't imagine that LA anticipated Quick being traded, and back to their division.  After this trade Quick must not be as pissed off about being traded out of LA. 

Edmundson watch:

I am going tomiss him, I though he was the perfect match for Petry and posted about getting him; now the time has come to turn him into a draft pick or an asset for the rebuild. Most importantly, the Habs left defense depth needs some clearing fro the great talent they have up and coming

I love Edmundson, but that’s the nature of a rebuild - and Savard has shown himself sufficient in terms of grizzled veteran leadership to mentor the kids. There’s a still a case to be made for holding onto him so he can build back his value, though.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love Edmundson, but that’s the nature of a rebuild - and Savard has shown himself sufficient in terms of grizzled veteran leadership to mentor the kids. There’s a still a case to be made for holding onto him so he can build back his value, though.

Yup, am on the fence and stay/go is fine by me, as long as isnt a low value pick. 

"Except Edmundson doesn’t need to block shots to create a ripple effect. Players are constantly talking about his friendly personality that makes him widely beloved. Allen knows something about that, of course, he’s seen how he conducts himself for years. But even a young player like Barron says he is grateful for the way the veteran defenceman has taken care of him.

“He’s an awesome guy, he’s a lot of fun to be around, very inclusive,” Barron told us with a smile Thursday morning. “I know for me last year, when I got here, I didn’t know anyone on the team, really. And I played with him right away and he was a guy that really made me feel welcome and appreciated here.”"

https://theathletic.com/4271825/2023/03/03/joel-edmundson-canadiens-deadline/

This has to be the quietest deadline in term of rumor/chatter that I can remember. I didn't expect much, with most of the Habs potential trade fodder injured. I haven't even subjected myself to the TSN show, but I'm rather surprised they didn't shrink it a little bit, given how many trades have happened in the past week.

9 minutes ago, huzer said:

This has to be the quietest deadline in term of rumor/chatter that I can remember. I didn't expect much, with most of the Habs potential trade fodder injured. I haven't even subjected myself to the TSN show, but I'm rather surprised they didn't shrink it a little bit, given how many trades have happened in the past week.

Yeah, it has been dull for sure.  It's all about the depth additions now and those aren't the most exciting.

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Tony Sund coming to the Habs prospect pool, playing with Engstrom in Sweden

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/32/rogle-bk?tab=stats

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/115802/tony-sund

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=200766

27 yr old d-man.

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

And here it is:

Pittsburgh is sending a 5th as part of the trade to San Jose so I assume the fifth-rounder the Habs are getting is in 2024 or later.

What gives with an external GM "brokering" a trade between two clubs? Why wouldn't the two GMs cut out the middle man? Or is this a question of Hughes contacting PITS and saying "I've caught wind of something that might interest you - give me a 5th if it works out, and I'll share the intel?"

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What gives with an external GM "brokering" a trade between two clubs? Why wouldn't the two GMs cut out the middle man? Or is this a question of Hughes contacting PITS and saying "I've caught wind of something that might interest you - give me a 5th if it works out, and I'll share the intel?"

Most of the third-party brokering is to allow a player to be dealt with 75% of the contract being retained instead of just 50% which is the maximum a single team can hold back.  This actually didn't happen here.  San Jose didn't retain at all.

Basically, San Jose was open to basically giving Bonino to Pittsburgh (all they get in the end is a 7th rounder) but didn't want to retain salary.  Montreal said fine, we'll eat half the contract if you give us a fifth-round pick.  That was enough to allow the Penguins to afford him which allowed the deal to happen.

MTL gets a 5th for eating half the contract

PIT gets Bonino at 50% of the price for a 5th and a 7th

SJ gets a 5th, loses a 5th, and gets a 7th

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs are involved because they retain part of the cap hit for Bonino.  

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Most of the third-party brokering is to allow a player to be dealt with 75% of the contract being retained instead of just 50% which is the maximum a single team can hold back.  This actually didn't happen here.  San Jose didn't retain at all.

Basically, San Jose was open to basically giving Bonino to Pittsburgh (all they get in the end is a 7th rounder) but didn't want to retain salary.  Montreal said fine, we'll eat half the contract if you give us a fifth-round pick.  That was enough to allow the Penguins to afford him which allowed the deal to happen.

Great explanation! Thanks.

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

image.png

Apparently Montreal also obtained Tony Sund ... who I read is Adam Engstrom's defence partner with Rogle BK Angelholm ... I guess either the Habs weren't going to sign Henrickson or Avrid wasn't going to sign with Montreal.

Does Sund have even an AHL future?

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

Apparently Montreal also obtained Tony Sund ... who I read is Adam Engstrom's defence partner with Rogle BK Angelholm ... I guess either the Habs weren't going to sign Henrickson or Avrid wasn't going to sign with Montreal.

No, he's a UFA in July.  Just like the Habs gave up Arvid Henrikson as they had to give up 'something' for Bonino, Pittsburgh had to give up 'something' for Bonino with retention.  In both cases, these are the least-valuable 'bag of pucks' assets that could be tossed in.

Does retain mean pay or is it just for cap purposes?  ex:  Bonino makes 2.1 mil, and the Habs retain 50% for a 5th rnd pick.  Did the Habs just pay 1.05 mil for 5th rnd pick?

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

It seems doubtful.  He is 27 and -17 on his Swed team, plus he hasn't played a single game in N.A.    

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Does retain mean pay or is it just for cap purposes?  ex:  Bonino makes 2.1 mil, and the Habs retain 50% for a 5th rnd pick.  Did the Habs just pay 1.05 mil for 5th rnd pick?

Retention is cap percentage and salary.  The Habs did pay cash for that pick although it's pro-rated, not the full $1.05 million.

And that's it from the Habs for the day.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Retention is cap percentage and salary.  The Habs did pay cash for that pick although it's pro-rated, not the full $1.05 million.

And that's it from the Habs for the day.

Thx!  I figured it was pay, but was confused because it doesn't really make sense to pay $1 mil for a 5th rnd pick.  The pro-rated makes sense though.  The season is 3/4 over so the Habs will pay around $250k for that 5th rnd pick.