Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Retention is cap percentage and salary.  The Habs did pay cash for that pick although it's pro-rated, not the full $1.05 million.

And that's it from the Habs for the day.

yeah, they are going with Klingberg instead

Oh well, underwhelming trade deadline but our good assets are hurt and the rest of our available players are garbage/have term/both. 

Hopefully we can clear more space for youth over the summer.

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

Oh well, underwhelming trade deadline but our good assets are hurt 

It certainly didn't help when the NHL made a statement saying they would be watching for teams trading for currently  injured players and trying to activate them for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It certainly didn't help when the NHL made a statement saying they would be watching for teams trading for currently  injured players and trying to activate them for the playoffs.

Yes, that crippled any shot of moving Monahan as it's pretty clear that he's going to be out for a while yet.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

Apparently Montreal also obtained Tony Sund ... who I read is Adam Engstrom's defence partner with Rogle BK Angelholm ... I guess either the Habs weren't going to sign Henrickson or Avrid wasn't going to sign with Montreal.

Does Sund have even an AHL future?

The habs gave up on Henrikson long ago.  Didn't even know we still had the guy's rights. 

Sund is Engstrom's defence partner.  He's 27, but maybe Montreal wants to bring him over.  He'll be UFA on July 1st so we aren't getting much with his "signing rights" in any event, but I do think we wanted to at least talk to him without tampering.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The habs gave up on Henrikson long ago.  Didn't even know we still had the guy's rights. 

Sund is Engstrom's defence partner.  He's 27, but maybe Montreal wants to bring him over.  He'll be UFA on July 1st so we aren't getting much with his "signing rights" in any event, but I do think we wanted to at least talk to him without tampering.

I mean it could really just be a contract slot thing. Pitts adding Bonino needed to ditch a contract. Montreal didn't want to add one for retaining so we send a dude to SJ.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

I mean it could really just be a contract slot thing. Pitts adding Bonino needed to ditch a contract. Montreal didn't want to add one for retaining so we send a dude to SJ.

The Habs had to receive a physical 'something' in the deal.  Sund was San Jose's least valuable asset on their 90-player reserve list (he was flipped to PIT and then sent to MTL for Bonino) just like Henrikson was Montreal's least valuable asset.  I'd be stunned if he was targeted in the trade.

5 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Neither Henrickson or Lund are under contract.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I'm convinced that Eddy would have fetched a nice return if he came back even a week earlier and looked healthy. 

You may be right. GMs love guys like that.

Did anybody see Hughes' press conference after the trade deadline?  He was being asked questions about it being a slow trade deadline for them which he admitted it was.  He was asked about other teams interest in Edmundson and he said he didn't want to say what teams out of respect.  Then, he was asked about Drouin and said the same thing - but I am certain that was because nobody inquired about him.  The next question was if they would bring Drouin back and Hughes said they have another 20 games to evaluate him and see what he's like.  It sure seemed like Hughes went out of his way to be polite and coy to not reveal that Drouin is completely done with the Habs.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Did anybody see Hughes' press conference after the trade deadline?  He was being asked questions about it being a slow trade deadline for them which he admitted it was.  He was asked about other teams interest in Edmundson and he said he didn't want to say what teams out of respect.  Then, he was asked about Drouin and said the same thing - but I am certain that was because nobody inquired about him.  The next question was if they would bring Drouin back and Hughes said they have another 20 games to evaluate him and see what he's like.  It sure seemed like Hughes went out of his way to be polite and coy to not reveal that Drouin is completely done with the Habs.  

Needing 20 games to evaluate…🤪

BTW, I didn’t seem to hear any rumours about Anderson. I guess the Habs are committed to him? Did anyone detect any smoke about him at all - ?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

BTW, I didn’t seem to hear any rumours about Anderson. I guess the Habs are committed to him? Did anyone detect any smoke about him at all - ?

There has been some smoke around him for a while but it sounds like he wasn't being shopped and teams were just inquiring.  Hughes has apparently rejected a 1st rounder plus something else (I assume a veteran player to match money).

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There has been some smoke around him for a while but it sounds like he wasn't being shopped and teams were just inquiring.  Hughes has apparently rejected a 1st rounder plus something else (I assume a veteran player to match money).

I could see him being moved at the draft if they wanted to move him. Too hard to do an in- season hockey trade with his contract.

he is a guy I like, but if someone really wants him and I’d willing to pay a good price, I’d rather move him. His injury history and style of play scare me.

if we did want to make a trade for PLD, before he’s a UFA, I think he’d be a good piece as part of a package- Winnipeg needs guys with term. But frankly, i wouldn’t want to give up a lot for a guy who will be a UFA in another year.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I could see him being moved at the draft if they wanted to move him. Too hard to do an in- season hockey trade with his contract.

he is a guy I like, but if someone really wants him and I’d willing to pay a good price, I’d rather move him. His injury history and style of play scare me.

if we did want to make a trade for PLD, before he’s a UFA, I think he’d be a good piece as part of a package- Winnipeg needs guys with term. But frankly, i wouldn’t want to give up a lot for a guy who will be a UFA in another year.

Any trade for PLD should be on the understanding that he will re-up here long term. It’s not unusual (said Tom Jones) that teams acquire an impending UFA and sign him right away - see Horvat. Clearly in such cases, the two camps have already been in dialogue regarding the terms of a deal. So if we do make a move of the sort you suggest, that’s how it should go down. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I started laughing when I heard him say that.  From the way he was answering those questions I couldn't help but think Hughes missed his calling and that he would have been a great politician.  

7 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I started laughing when I heard him say that.  From the way he was answering those questions I couldn't help but think Hughes missed his calling and that he would have been a great politician.  

He is never going to embarrass a player publicly ... doing so would be counterproductive in the long-term. 

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Okay, then you're probably on to something.

Side note: Is there like... a 'in organization' limit? Like 90?

Yes but none of the teams are close to it.

And you could always just renounce your rights to an unsigned player in any event.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Yes but none of the teams are close to it.

And you could always just renounce your rights to an unsigned player in any event.

Yeah so that one basically would never factor into anything (other than PHX keeping all the players they in theory could draft lol)

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm wondering whether Hughes might have been referring to further evaluating Drouin playing at centre, where he has mostly been playing recently, with the absence of Monahan and Dach.

For next year, we have Suzuki, Dach ... and Dvorak? Monahan? Evans? (I don't think Pitlick or Tierney are realistic options.) What is HuGo's C strategy for the short term? Could they be thinking that Drouin could help that situation next year? In the last 10 games he has 1g+4a (third on the team in points) -- and 56% on faceoffs (47% for the full season).

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm wondering whether Hughes might have been referring to further evaluating Drouin playing at centre, where he has mostly been playing recently, with the absence of Monahan and Dach.

For next year, we have Suzuki, Dach ... and Dvorak? Monahan? Evans? (I don't think Pitlick or Tierney are realistic options.) What is HuGo's C strategy for the short term? Could they be thinking that Drouin could help that situation next year? In the last 10 games he has 1g+4a (third on the team in points) -- and 56% on faceoffs (47% for the full season).

good grief, no

#FreeDrouin :surrender: