Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm wondering whether Hughes might have been referring to further evaluating Drouin playing at centre, where he has mostly been playing recently, with the absence of Monahan and Dach.

For next year, we have Suzuki, Dach ... and Dvorak? Monahan? Evans? (I don't think Pitlick or Tierney are realistic options.) What is HuGo's C strategy for the short term? Could they be thinking that Drouin could help that situation next year? In the last 10 games he has 1g+4a (third on the team in points) -- and 56% on faceoffs (47% for the full season).

That’s a really interesting thought. 🤔 I mean, the guy is a disaster. However, if next year is conceived as another “rebuild” year, then keeping him on a cheap deal as C depth might make some sort of perverse sense. It offers a buffer in case Monahan doesn’t re-sign or goes down yet again (although Drouin is equally injury-prone). On the other hand, a low-commitment, cut-rate deal would not block up a path of progression for Beck or Mesar. 

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

good grief, no

#FreeDrouin :surrender:

LOL. There does come a time, with a disappointing player, where both team and player seem to just want to turn the page on the stench of failure. I don’t know how Drouin feels about it, but a “clean break” definitely has an appeal with that dud.

NO, Hoffman is enough of soft lazy-ass players to have to watch for 1 more season, please no more of both he and Drouin.

Wideman he hard to watch also, but i dont think effort is his problem and he isnt paid much.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'm wondering whether Hughes might have been referring to further evaluating Drouin playing at centre, where he has mostly been playing recently, with the absence of Monahan and Dach.

For next year, we have Suzuki, Dach ... and Dvorak? Monahan? Evans? (I don't think Pitlick or Tierney are realistic options.) What is HuGo's C strategy for the short term? Could they be thinking that Drouin could help that situation next year? In the last 10 games he has 1g+4a (third on the team in points) -- and 56% on faceoffs (47% for the full season).

Hughes was being polite ... it will be a shock if Drouin is re-signed ... Habs have 10 current roster forwards under contract next season (althought Ptlick is very borderline) ... RFA Caufield makes 11 ... Gurianov is also a RFA likely worth a one-year deal to see if MSL can get him going ... RHP, is another RFA who has earned a shot ... Monahan is a UFA who might be back on a "show-me" contract ... Ylonen and Pezetta are in "earn a contract" mode through the end of the season ... plus, HuGo might have plans to add someone or to give another youngster a shot ... ***IF*** HuGo manage to move out Hoffman and Armia without taking anyone in return, they might look at Drouin late in the summer (PTO or at most a one-year).

The question is really C, not wingers, of which we have plenty of. If they sign Monahan for another year, that may be an answer, but whether they can negotiate a sensible deal with him is as of yet unknown.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The question is really C, not wingers, of which we have plenty of. If they sign Monahan for another year, that may be an answer, but whether they can negotiate a sensible deal with him is as of yet unknown.

If we do resign Monohan to a one year deal, and he is healthy to start the season, we should trade him as soon as he gets on a hot streak and is productive. There should be no waiting for the trade deadline. I have zero confidence he can go through a season without being injured anymore. He is Samuel L. Jackson in Glass, and we already have Gallagher to play that role for another 4 years.

1 hour ago, DON said:

NO, Hoffman is enough of soft lazy-ass players to have to watch for 1 more season, please no more of both he and Drouin.

Wideman he hard to watch also, but i dont think effort is his problem and he isnt paid much.

Don’t forget Armia.

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

According to Francois Gagnon of RDS the reason Edmundson didn't get traded was Hughes wanted a 1st and all he was being offered was 4th and 5th round picks.

That’s a good move. No reason to move him, given he can be moved for more later. What hurts is that Drouin doesn’t seem to have been worth even that.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s a good move. No reason to move him, given he can be moved for more later. What hurts is that Drouin doesn’t seem to have been worth even that.

How does AHL callups work after the trade deadline?  Can Belzile and Tierney and Ylonen be sent down to help the rocket playoff push? If so, maybe hughes decided rather than eat salary and get a late pick, he would keep drouin and send someone down later to help the rocket? Just a thought. There's no way of knowing what offers he got for jd. Chances are they were not great, but there's still no way of knowing for sure.

22 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Okay, then you're probably on to something.

Side note: Is there like... a 'in organization' limit? Like 90?

If you're curious, Montreal's at 78 out of 90 on that list.  With a high number of picks again, however, that should creep into the low 80's by the time they get through who will and won't sign this summer.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we do resign Monohan to a one year deal, and he is healthy to start the season, we should trade him as soon as he gets on a hot streak and is productive. There should be no waiting for the trade deadline. I have zero confidence he can go through a season without being injured anymore. He is Samuel L. Jackson in Glass, and we already have Gallagher to play that role for another 4 years.

Other teams will care if he's healthy in February, not in November.  Most teams don't have the cap space to add a rental really early in the season.  That's why there aren't any trades in the first half of the season.  If Monahan re-signs, there's no trade market for him until past the midway point of the year.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

How does AHL callups work after the trade deadline?  Can Belzile and Tierney and Ylonen be sent down to help the rocket playoff push? If so, maybe hughes decided rather than eat salary and get a late pick, he would keep drouin and send someone down later to help the rocket? Just a thought.

To be eligible to play with Laval from here on out, a player had to have been on their roster at the trade deadline.  The Habs 'papered' Ylonen and Harvey-Pinard down just before the deadline for that purpose.  They wanted to with Barron but since he's hurt, they couldn't.  They didn't do so with any of Tierney (who would have had to go back on waivers and likely would've been claimed back by Florida to try to send to their farm team), Belzile, and Pitlick so they are up with Montreal the rest of the way and can't return to the Rocket. 

As to why those others didn't get sent down, teams only have four non-emergency recalls after the trade deadline and anyone sent down to keep them AHL-eligible that gets recalled counts against that.  In other words, the Habs have already burned half their recalls on Ylonen and Harvey-Pinard.  They can only get away with doing so many times and they opted to prioritize the prospects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If you're curious, Montreal's at 78 out of 90 on that list.  With a high number of picks again, however, that should creep into the low 80's by the time they get through who will and won't sign this summer.

I am more curious where I pulled that 90 number from hahaha. No idea why I knew that.