Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

I should add ... getting a 22yo prospect who is scoring well in Liiga, and may (or may not) make it to the NHL in trade for Puljujarvi is a clear win for the Oilers. Well, clear win in that they got some possible value for him (a bit like the Gurianov trade) rather than just losing Puljujarvi after not making a QO.

That said, they only got to this point because they didn't trade Puljujarvi earlier, or much earlier, or much much earlier, when he still had some value.

21 minutes ago, Neech said:

The Rangers get Patty Kane on a huge discount. This keeps happening for them! Maybe one day a good player will be Habs or bust, what a sweet day that would be!

Most preferred destination unlikely to change, given what NYC has to offer that NHL players like.

I would like to see it when valuable Habs are willing to take a discount on contract to help pay for other key pieces.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That's a $3M QO, about the same as Gurianov. Will be interesting to see how freely Carolina hands out cash to the next Finn ...

(Of course, he was traded for Puistola, also a Finn, but still playing in Liiga at 22.)

Frankly I’d rathe if taken the flyer on Puljujarvi, but hope now that Gurianov does better.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Frankly I’d rathe if taken the flyer on Puljujarvi, but hope now that Gurianov does better.

I don't think the Habs were a good partner for a trade with Edmonton, given Edmonton needed to clear salary, and the Habs don't want to deal picks/prospects. I guess maybe as a larger trade, it could've been an option.

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

I don't think the Habs were a good partner for a trade with Edmonton, given Edmonton needed to clear salary, and the Habs don't want to deal picks/prospects. I guess maybe as a larger trade, it could've been an option.

I can see Winnipeg or Pittsburgh in on Ed. 

For trade purposes?

FAR more likely a minor injury/illness.

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I can't see why they would trade him now when they are trying to make a playoff run.

You did see the BOLDED "FAR" ... I would have played with the size but I didn't have the option ... couldn't resist the tease.

Almost seems like CHL team trade deals, with lots of picks flying around and teams selling out in push for championship. 

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/nhl-trade-rumors-news-deadline-live/Wdkwk3AXgR9E/

"In the entire salary cap era, there hasn’t been a single season where the top three teams were from one conference, let alone five or six. Since the league expanded to 21 teams there have only been two instances where the top three teams were from one conference: 1990-91 (with a tie for fourth) and 1993-94.

Never five. Never six. Unprecedented.

And this year’s trade deadline has only put a stamp on it further. The gap is likely only going to get wider between the top of the East and the top of the West."

22 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I should add ... getting a 22yo prospect who is scoring well in Liiga, and may (or may not) make it to the NHL in trade for Puljujarvi is a clear win for the Oilers. Well, clear win in that they got some possible value for him (a bit like the Gurianov trade) rather than just losing Puljujarvi after not making a QO.

It's worth noting that Puistola has to be signed by June 1st and is already under contract in Finland for next season.  For Edmonton to sign him, they'd have to loan him back, burning a contract slot for nothing next year.  This might just be a return where they don't wind up with anything before too long.

19 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So Kane was cheaper than that insane deal Tampa made🙄😬

Of course it was.  Kane, who is playing through an injury, needed double retention and gave Chicago one team he could be traded to, presenting a take it or leave it situation so of course the Rangers weren't going to pay a premium return.  Jeannot makes less than a million, has RFA status after this, and showed a willingness to do a long-term, fairly cheap extension (they were discussing six years with an AAV in the $2M range) prior to the swap.  There were probably 10 teams that showed serious interest which drove up the price.  That context makes a big difference.