Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Hmm, not sure what to think of this one.

Good Job, Dorion!

7 minutes ago, Neech said:

Seems way below what Arizona was asking for Chychrun. Looks like a decent deal for the Sens.

Likely they waited too long

38 minutes ago, Neech said:

Why are the Canucks sending a 1st rounder and other picks out to get Hronek? Maybe it's decent value but seems like poor timing for a team missing the playoffs.

Hronek is 25 years old and can move the puck, which they desperately need. It's a huge addition for them. The pick was the one they got for Horvat, so you could see this as an extension of the Horvat trade. 

Rutherford has said he is looking for a turnaround within a couple of years, so a rebuild is not what they're after. And you can make the case that with Petersson and Hughes entering their primes, and even Demko having lots of what-should-be-elite years ahead of him, a rebuild would be a debatable choice. I'll be curious to see what the phone lines have to say about this here in Van.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hronek is 25 years old and can move the puck, which they desperately need. It's a huge addition for them. The pick was the one they got for Horvat, so you could see this as an extension of the Horvat trade. 

Rutherford has said he is looking for a turnaround within a couple of years, so a rebuild is not what they're after. And you can make the case that with Petersson and Hughes entering their primes, and even Demko having lots of what-should-be-elite years ahead of him, a rebuild would be a debatable choice. I'll be curious to see what the phone lines have to say about this here in Van.

A 1st and a 2nd seems like a lot for a player who is only under team control for another year or two. It seems like a terrible trade to me and it makes me glad I’m not a Canucks fan

20 minutes ago, PMAC said:

A 1st and a 2nd seems like a lot for a player who is only under team control for another year or two. It seems like a terrible trade to me and it makes me glad I’m not a Canucks fan

I'm of two minds about it. In seeing the positive side, I am assuming they keep him longer term.

He's RD too, another factor.

They're doing a retool. The deal has to be seen in that context. 

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm of two minds about it. In seeing the positive side, I am assuming they keep him longer term.

He's RD too, another factor.

They're doing a retool. The deal has to be seen in that context. 

The Capitals are retooling. The Canucks brass are, I will be kind and say, confused. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's worth noting that Puistola has to be signed by June 1st and is already under contract in Finland for next season.  For Edmonton to sign him, they'd have to loan him back, burning a contract slot for nothing next year.  This might just be a return where they don't wind up with anything before too long.

Of course it was.  Kane, who is playing through an injury, needed double retention and gave Chicago one team he could be traded to, presenting a take it or leave it situation so of course the Rangers weren't going to pay a premium return.  Jeannot makes less than a million, has RFA status after this, and showed a willingness to do a long-term, fairly cheap extension (they were discussing six years with an AAV in the $2M range) prior to the swap.  There were probably 10 teams that showed serious interest which drove up the price.  That context makes a big difference.

According to Friedman, it sounded like he wasn’t willing to do that type of deal.

I get that Kane only wanted to go to the Rangers, but did they ask if he had any interest in Tampa - still a better team with potentially a better chance to win than the  rangers. 

The price Tampa paid just seems insane for a guy like Jeannot.

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

According to Friedman, it sounded like he wasn’t willing to do that type of deal.

I get that Kane only wanted to go to the Rangers, but did they ask if he had any interest in Tampa - still a better team with potentially a better chance to win than the  rangers. 

The price Tampa paid just seems insane for a guy like Jeannot.

Nothing to say that Kane was the type of player TBL was looking for ... but regardless, if Kyle Davidson didn't explore EVERY option for where Kane was willing to go he won't last long in Chicago, or anywhere.

34 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm sure it was brought up; I have to think that most GM's have basic common sense to think of something like that.  But if Kane only wanted the Rangers (and he only wanted them), it just didn't allow for a proper market to develop.  I had the return pegged at a 2nd and a second-tier prospect so it came in pretty close to that.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, Neech said:

The Rangers get Patty Kane on a huge discount. This keeps happening for them! Maybe one day a good player will be Habs or bust, what a sweet day that would be!

I'm sorta wondering if Kane might sign with Montreal next year.  After all, he has nothing but good things to say about Kirby.  

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Partly because of the parity in the west, though: all eight western playoff teams are between 72 and 76 points. That probably hasn't happened before, either.

My explanation for it is that there seems to be a lot of mediocrity this year.  It sorta looks like teams could make the playoffs with points in the low 90's.  Even the wildcard teams in the East might make it with 92-93 pts.  

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm sorta wondering if Kane might sign with Montreal next year.  After all, he has nothing but good things to say about Kirby.  

He'll goes to a contender, and his timeline doesn't fit us anyways. I wonder if Tarasenko and Kane might be too much of the same for the Rags.

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

The Capitals are retooling. The Canucks brass are, I will be kind and say, confused. 

I dunno why I’m (sort of) defending these clowns, but here’s how the Canuckleheads’ two big moves of 2023 break down in toto:

Horvat + 2023 2nd

for

Beauvillier, Hronek, Raty + 2023 4th

All told, this seems reasonable to me 🤷‍♂️

The deeper strategic or structural problem is that they had to move Horvat, who wanted to stay, because they locked up JT Miller to an 8 year deal. They effectively picked Miller over Horvat. Nothing in this deal makes good on that profound team-building blunder. But taken for what it is, the moves summarized above look decent to me.

A 4-5 year rebuild may well cost you Pettersson and possibly Hughes. I honestly don’t know about the wisdom of rebuilding when two absolute stud, elite players are on your team and just entering their primes. 

Oh no, thats no good.  If Chychrun's Mom had balls she'd be Luke Richardson's brother.  True story. 

Luke is his uncle, and he's from Ottawa.  I was hoping Chychrun would leave after his contract expires.  Seeing how his Mom is from Ottawa maybe he will stick around longer than that.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I dunno why I’m (sort of) defending these clowns, but here’s how the Canuckleheads’ two big moves of 2023 break down in toto:

Horvat + 2023 2nd

for

Beauvillier, Hronek, Raty + 2023 4th

All told, this seems reasonable to me 🤷‍♂️

The deeper strategic or structural problem is that they had to move Horvat, who wanted to stay, because they locked up JT Miller to an 8 year deal. They effectively picked Miller over Horvat. Nothing in this deal makes good on that profound team-building blunder. But taken for what it is, the moves summarized above look decent to me.

A 4-5 year rebuild may well cost you Pettersson and possibly Hughes. I honestly don’t know about the wisdom of rebuilding when two absolute stud, elite players are on your team and just entering their primes. 

You might be right except that you are counting Horvat and the first that they got back for him as one transaction and one mistake.  Trading Horvat was unavoidable given their mistake in signing Miller. IMHO, they significantly compounded that mistake by giving up a first and second for Hronek. 

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm sorta wondering if Kane might sign with Montreal next year. 

Whaa? Really?

IN November, you do know he will be old enough for a old-timer softball team dont you?

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

You might be right except that you are counting Horvat and the first that they got back for him as one transaction and one mistake.  Trading Horvat was unavoidable given their mistake in signing Miller. IMHO, they significantly compounded that mistake by giving up a first and second for Hronek. 

Chychrun nets a 1st a two 2nds…Hronek (not as good but RD) nets a 1st and a 2nd. Maybe you just have to pay to get quality puck moving blueliners.

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Chychrun nets a 1st a two 2nds…Hronek (not as good but RD) nets a 1st and a 2nd. Maybe you just have to pay to get quality puck moving blueliners.

Ottawa is closer to contention, has cap space and Chycrun, as you said, is a better player, younger and on a better contract. While Vancouver is capped out and desperately trying to unload a declining Boeser and is stuck with a mediocre core minus its former best player in Horvat. My issue is not the price Vancouver paid for Hronek, but that it was a terrible acquisition given their context. We will just have to agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Whaa? Really?

IN November, you do know he will be old enough for a old-timer softball team dont you?

I do not want Kane.... if he was cheap sure, but at the price he'll still command, no way.  The guy plays zero defence (at this point in his career, he used to backcheck when he was younger)... and this means the offence he adds is basically wiped out by the goals against when he is on the ice.   Its not totally wiped out but most of it is.... so I'm fine on a cheap deal but if we are talking more than 4 million (and i think we are talking a lot more than that), then he's not worth it. 

(1) What a joke ... (2) Lawson Crouse certainly seems like he has an interesting profile for age/size/contract ... is his skating good enough for the style HuGo want to play>

33 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Michael Hutchinson and a 7th in 2025 go to Columbus who had to eat 50% of the deal to send Quick out there.  I know it was a sunk cost to pick up the picks they got from LA but yikes.  At least they're sending him to a playoff team.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

...  At least they're sending him to a playoff team.

Agreed ... would LOVE to see the Oilers get ridiculously hot, win the Division, and set up Vegas vs LA in the first round.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I do not want Kane.... if he was cheap sure, but at the price he'll still command, no way.  The guy plays zero defence (at this point in his career, he used to backcheck when he was younger)... and this means the offence he adds is basically wiped out by the goals against when he is on the ice.   Its not totally wiped out but most of it is.... so I'm fine on a cheap deal but if we are talking more than 4 million (and i think we are talking a lot more than that), then he's not worth it. 

I'm not sure what price he will command, but he's due for a big pay cut.   More importantly, what contenders will have cap space for him?  Plus, he is injured and needs a hip operation.  He will likely miss numerous months next year.  His lack of backchecking could be because of his bad hip i.e. pain. 

If the Habs land Bedard that could help bring aging star UFA's on cheap contracts, like Kane. 

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

(1) What a joke ... (2) Lawson Crouse certainly seems like he has an interesting profile for age/size/contract ... is his skating good enough for the style HuGo want to play>

Next season, they will have over $21 million in cap hits, helping them reach the floor, with Voracek, Little, and Weber.  Contracts where the actual money is paid by insurance. 

The franchise is a joke.