Sam Pollock Draft strategy in the 21st century

HabsWEST

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

6'0" would not be unique, DeSmith is 6'0".

Size is an advantage but I still don't believe that a good 6'1 goalie is necessarily better than a great 6'0 goalie. There is no magic capability switch that clicks "on" as soon as you reach 6'1.

When we are talking about 1 inch here, or one there, its not a big deal. 

I think the average of goalies being drafted is about 6.3.5" right now though, so it does make a difference when we are talking an average goalie and one who is 5'11 or something. 

The list of under 6'0 goalies who have been really good in the last 15 years is pretty small.   I mean currently I can only think of Halak and Juuse Saros as undersized goalies who really put up solid seasons as a starter. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think he's going to leave this year.  But I guess its possible. 

Hughes is well connected in the US hockey system. 

Born in Montreal.  Wonder if his family is still based there.

If QU makes a run in the frozen four I can see him bailing IMO.

The zest of this post. Was simply to present an alternative and be creative.

Just like Ben Chiarot Florida first pick in 2023 last year instead of a 2022 first pick of year of trade.

As more GM's are hesitant to give up this year's first.

Perhaps as an example a first say in 2028 ( a reference point, any future year ).. are they more likely to give up that year first than now, the 2023 pick.

Example Holland with Oilers on record has said he won't give up this year's first ( I live in Edmonton ). But would a future year first make any difference..

Of course the Pollock era can't be replicated but thinking like there is NO BOX can be applied in any year. By just being a little different.

( Example we see now, Dubas trading his 2025 first pick in the Maple Leafs recent trade as one example...Or Hughes in the Flames trade that could land 2025 or whatever other in the extensive choice trade with Flames )

5 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

The zest of this post. Was simply to present an alternative and be creative.

Just like Ben Chiarot Florida first pick in 2023 last year instead of a 2022 first pick of year of trade.

As more GM's are hesitant to give up this year's first.

Perhaps as an example a first say in 2028 ( a reference point, any future year ).. are they more likely to give up that year first than now, the 2023 pick.

Example Holland with Oilers on record has said he won't give up this year's first ( I live in Edmonton ). But would a future year first make any difference..

Of course the Pollock era can't be replicated but thinking like there is NO BOX can be applied in any year. By just being a little different.

( Example we see now, Dubas trading his 2025 first pick in the Maple Leafs recent trade as one example...Or Hughes in the Flames trade that could land 2025 or whatever other in the extensive choice trade with Flames )

The key in taking future picks is, obviously, projecting draft class strength (i.e., closer to 2005 than 2012)

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The key in taking future picks is, obviously, projecting draft class strength (i.e., closer to 2005 than 2012)

Thus the strength of your scouts and management team. And Obvious if a risk taker and be creative or sit on comfort and ' hope ' for safe picking.

All drafts is an element of uncertainty , but driven by optics, objective raw facts, scouting strength.

That's what we call that " intangible "

From teaching at University , I would tell my students :

1. Market differentiation

2. First to Market differentiation really no different.

want to be " cookie cutter " and stick with the basics or be " outstanding "

be different and drive to become a champion.

even at best of times with scouting it's randomness and luck. But as the cliche says . Well you know.

that's the point. Let's build a lasting legacy, as Gorton and Hughes preaches. SO DO IT!

Right 👍

A guest on the TSN690 morning show had a Pollock-ish trade suggestion ... Anderson to Pittsburgh with the core return being their 2024 first-round pick ... hoping that after 15 of 16 previous seasons over .600, this season's slip under that mark will be the first step in a descent to mediocrity ... I would hope they could get more than just the first.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

A guest on the TSN690 morning show had a Pollock-ish trade suggestion ... Anderson to Pittsburgh with the core return being their 2024 first-round pick ... hoping that after 15 of 16 previous seasons over .600, this season's slip under that mark will be the first step in a descent to mediocrity ... I would hope they could get more than just the first.

I’d suggest a trade to wash, Pitt, or tamp, but for a 2026 (wash/pit), or 2027 (Tampa) unprotected picks. The pens and caps will definitely be in rebuild - especially the pens, with the core done, and having traded away all their picks. Tampa will also be aging, and the way they are trading away draft picks, I can’t see any prospects taking their place.

hopefully, by than we are a solid team, and can get even stronger, with high end draft picks being added, that add to the talent pool, but take up little cap room. Kinda like when Jagr joined a stacked Pens team.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d suggest a trade to wash, Pitt, or tamp, but for a 2026 (wash/pit), or 2027 (Tampa) unprotected picks. The pens and caps will definitely be in rebuild - especially the pens, with the core done, and having traded away all their picks. Tampa will also be aging, and the way they are trading away draft picks, I can’t see any prospects taking their place.

There have been some comical protections on first-round picks this year as teams saw what happened to Florida's pick this year.  I can't see a team willingly trading an unprotected pick that far out, especially when they're capable of having the same projection as you are.  If you think their core will be weaker by then (and you're probably right), that's all the more reason why those teams won't trade that pick without protections.

Another deadline and trades. And whom is better off we will know at playoff time and near future.

Ottawa was creative. Getting Jakob Chychrun and if they reach the ECF ( played the odds. Small chance ) than they pay premium they don't mind. They get to a place they wouldn't expect.

They don't make it. The compensation is less and really a decent deal for them.

A more ranked team would have to dish out more. Kudos to Ottawa on this trade and sort of what I was getting at. To go beyond and think outside  and look at a good future deal for them.

MTL with the injuries was the expected outcome. 

17 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

Another deadline and trades. And whom is better off we will know at playoff time and near future.

Ottawa was creative. Getting Jakob Chychrun and if they reach the ECF ( played the odds. Small chance ) than they pay premium they don't mind. They get to a place they wouldn't expect.

They don't make it. The compensation is less and really a decent deal for them.

A more ranked team would have to dish out more. Kudos to Ottawa on this trade and sort of what I was getting at. To go beyond and think outside  and look at a good future deal for them.

MTL with the injuries was the expected outcome. 

The deadline is tomorrow. 

Injuries and market conditions are not on our side this year. It’s possible Edmundson still goes somewhere but we may fare better in the offseason. 

If I had to make a prediction it would be a depth move for a guy like Drouin and that’s it. Then maybe Edmundson and Anderson in the offseason. 

Can’t wait to see tomorrow