Xavier Simoneau signs entry-level deal

GHT120

Asking those that watch The Rocket more closely ... is he worth a contract slot?

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Thanks ... knew it was a 23/24 contract slot ... but those now 18 empty 23/24 slots will fill up as the Habs re-sign/extend/sign players to fill out their roster, and Laval's, for next season ...  Simoneau's season just seemed statistically underwhelming.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Asking those that watch The Rocket more closely ... is he worth a contract slot?

Yes, 100% he's worth the contract slot. 

It also starts next year so doesn't effect this year's limit. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks ... knew it was a 23/24 contract slot ... but those now 18 empty 23/24 slots will fill up as the Habs re-sign/extend/sign players to fill out their roster, and Laval's, for next season ...  Simoneau's season just seemed statistically underwhelming.

28 points in 44 games for a rookie out of junior is quite good though. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The early-season version of Simoneau is absolutely worth an NHL deal.  The recent version I'm a bit more on the fence about.  All in all, I think they're right to give him a deal as he has shown he can produce in the minors.  It's not like an overage junior signing where you're hoping he can still produce; there's a bit more certainty with signing Simoneau.

I'm happy about it.  He might be small but he's a scrappy lil guy.  I loved his attitude in the preseason last year.  What are his correct stats anyway?  Is he really 5'6"?  Numerous sites say he is 5'6" 183 lbs, but others like his Q bio says he's 5'7" 175 lbs.  I understand how he could gain a few lbs, but not sure how he could shrink an inch. 

25 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm happy about it.  He might be small but he's a scrappy lil guy.  I loved his attitude in the preseason last year.  What are his correct stats anyway?  Is he really 5'6"?  Numerous sites say he is 5'6" 183 lbs, but others like his Q bio says he's 5'7" 175 lbs.  I understand how he could gain a few lbs, but not sure how he could shrink an inch. 

Because players/teams lie about heights when they self report and then when they get measured in official context (like the NHL Draft combine) the real numbers come out. 

On 3/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, Commandant said:

Because players/teams lie about heights when they self report and then when they get measured in official context (like the NHL Draft combine) the real numbers come out. 

That is especially annoying when a player is 5'6".

Well this is interesting:

Its highly unlikely that he will put up numbers like Marchand, but he might be as annoying of a pest as Marchand.