GAME#68 Habs vs Pens March 14 2023

DON

The tank is ON!

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That forward group is genuinely terrible but I expect them to be very competitive tonight. 

The D pairings look pretty solid and I’m thankful that Wideman sits

It turns out that Wideman has been playing hurt, and that doesn't help his play, and has been limiting his minutes. A snippet from The Athletic:

Wideman has been playing through an injury more or less all season. It would appear a certain movement during the Canadiens skill competition Feb. 19 ultimately knocked him out, but he was already playing hurt.

“I’m just trying to do what I can to manage through it and play through the best I can,” Wideman said. “It’s a wear and tear thing for which there is nothing I can do.”

The well-liked defenceman will try to make it to the end of the season, but only rest will help at this point. Surgery isn’t even an option.

Typical. Meaningless games, trade deadlines passed and Drouin starts producing when we least need it.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It turns out that Wideman has been playing hurt, and that doesn't help his play, and has been limiting his minutes. A snippet from The Athletic:

Props to Wideman for being such a team guy and playing hurt. 

Im hoping that Jarry doesn’t return because 4 goals on 7 shots isn’t good. 

Habs have no business winning until October 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Props to Wideman for being such a team guy and playing hurt. 

Im hoping that Jarry doesn’t return because 4 goals on 7 shots isn’t good. 

Habs have no business winning until October 

Good call on Jarry. 

Habs are headed for #8

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can’t believe we pulled it off but it was an exciting game. 

It's surprising for sure, especially when they played yesterday.

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Don't these Penguins want to make the playoffs? Sigh.

Since the Pens loss to the Oilers, they've gone 7-1-1.  They were tied for #1 over that 10 game span.

Guarianov looked dangerous numerous times.  I definitely liked his goal.  In 9 games he has 4 goals, which is interesting.  If it looks like he can get over 30/yr it will be hard to know what to do regarding his next contract.  What was he doing at the end of the game?  The puck was fairly deep in the Pens end against the boards with 3 Pens against 1 Hab.  That looked super funny, especially when I realized it was him. 

37 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

How many times can we fumble the puck away in our own end?

Apparently not enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Guarianov looked dangerous numerous times.  I definitely liked his goal.  In 9 games he has 4 goals, which is interesting.  If it looks like he can get over 30/yr it will be hard to know what to do regarding his next contract.  What was he doing at the end of the game?  The puck was fairly deep in the Pens end against the boards with 3 Pens against 1 Hab.  That looked super funny, especially when I realized it was him. 

I’m hoping Guarinov will be a keeper, but let’s not get carried away extrapolating a small sample size of games for a 25 yr old, into a 30 goal scorer. Particularly when we are playing meaningless games against teams that have zero expectations for us.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That forward group is genuinely terrible but I expect them to be very competitive tonight. 

The D pairings look pretty solid and I’m thankful that Wideman sits

I am glad to be wrong. It was fun to see them win

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

he has looked better when paired with Drouin than with Suzuki; probably due in part to the imposing trio being less difficult to play against 

15 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

he has looked better when paired with Drouin than with Suzuki; probably due in part to the imposing trio being less difficult to play against 

Good point about opposition.

Drouin is also continuing to play well and be quite creative, perhaps gels with the speed/straight line approach of Gurianov?  
Not sure I see him as long term but an affordable one year deal and flip at next deadline sounds perfect. 

31 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Good point about opposition.

Drouin is also continuing to play well and be quite creative, perhaps gels with the speed/straight line approach of Gurianov?  
Not sure I see him as long term but an affordable one year deal and flip at next deadline sounds perfect. 

Drouin is not coming back to the Habs, there is no way in hell that he is re-signed by the Habs. This summarizes it well:

"The latest games from Jonathan Drouin don't erase his previous 5 years"

https://bpmsports.ca/le-debat-14/

I forgot the game was on, watched the highlights today.  Poor Montembeault, lit up for 4 and maybe an argument could be made the first goal was his fault.  The other 3 were just poor defensive play.  Allowing Malkin to have the one-timer on the PP is bad, but Anderson was on the ice and doing nothing on the 3rd goal, wasn't taking away the pass, wasn't taking Malkin, was just in the middle of the ice for no reason.

Montembeault will never be a star goalie, but if his progression continues, he could make a decent starter, or a solid backup.  His numbers just don't reflect his play this season.