Jayden Struble - Two-year, entry-level contract

GHT120

So ... I guess the door is open to try to get him to sign a "tryout contract" with Laval for the rest of this season.

I am happy about this signing, and this quote:

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

So ... I guess the door is open to try to get him to sign a "tryout contract" with Laval for the rest of this season.

He did and will play in Laval to end the year. . Struble also signed an AHL contract allowing him to finish the current season with the Laval Rocket.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/two-year-entry-level-contract-for-jayden-struble/c-342242984

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

He did and will play in Laval to end the year. . Struble also signed an AHL contract allowing him to finish the current season with the Laval Rocket.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/two-year-entry-level-contract-for-jayden-struble/c-342242984

That should help the Laval injury situation a little bit.

Hope he can hold him own in the AHL.

When will his 1st fight be... the 1st game or the 2nd? He will have no problem finding many more opponents willing and eager to drop the gloves vs what the NCAA is like.

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That should help the Laval injury situation a little bit.

In theory, yes, but they're not exactly lacking for defensive depth at the moment (knocks on wood).  They already had eight healthy defenders on the roster.  Now, if they want to continue playing Nicolas Beaudin on the third line (they actually did this for multiple games last week), then there might be a spot for Struble to step into. 

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Had forgotten that he is only 6-foot ... so very strong and occasionally physical but not a physical presence ala WiFi ... but VERY interesting to read that despite being a left-hand shot he plays RD.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Had forgotten that he is only 6-foot ... so very strong and occasionally physical but not a physical presence ala WiFi ... but VERY interesting to read that despite being a left-hand shot he plays RD.

If I am not mistaken, he was the best prospect in the VO2/physical tests at the combine, at the time he was strong and fit like an Ox.

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I am not mistaken, he was the best prospect in the VO2/physical tests at the combine, at the time he was strong and fit like an Ox.

He was tops in several combine tests, which usually means little, but playing physical is his strong suit, from all reports anyways.

A few years ago with a bare prospect cupboard I'd be much more excited about this signing, but we have so many young defenders ahead of him he'll have to really distinguish himself to make the big squad. Hopefully he'll be a great example of our new developmental system.

The Habs have quite a few D prospects so it could be hard for him to make it, but Hughes can always make trades.  Ironically, speaking of trades a lot of what I have read about Struble reminds me of Romanov.  i.e. he hits, and open ice; etc.  Apparently, he is an excellent skater and really good passer so that will definitely help him.  However, I think if he makes it will be his toughness that distinguishes him from the rest of the prospects. 

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We seem to have a glut of young defenders and it makes me wonder if Matheson is going to be traded. 

I personally want to keep him because he is outstanding but if we do trade him, I expect a serious return. 

How do we make room for all these Dmen?

Mattheson is younger and IMO better than Edmundson ... so Joel is the one to move now ... as time progresses, let the youngsters battle it out and see what happens (including offers from other teams for the youngsters).

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Mattheson is younger and IMO better than Edmundson ... so Joel is the one to move now ... as time progresses, let the youngsters battle it out and see what happens (including offers from other teams for the youngsters).

exactly, that is why I was so adamant at hoping they would trade Eddy at the deadline. I hope he is traded this summer.

I like Edmundson, I was cheering for the Habs to trade for him to play with Petry. But the Habs will be better served if he is traded sooner than later

• Like 1