What was Marc Bergevin thinking?

REV-G

I've just finished reading an article by Stu Cowan of the Montreal Gazette and he details, in conversations with Serge Savard and many other of our old time hockey hero's, how former GM Marc Bergevin treated our former players with absolute disgrace and distain. If you haven't seen it, you will feel both angry and now pleased at what has taken place but what is now being done to rectify past wrongs. It's a great article in many ways. Take the time and read it.

As I was reading the article I thought back to the glory years many of these players were a part of and how much excitement and joy they brought us by their skill, hard work and dedication. The Stanley Cup celebrations were so much fun and hearing then mayor Jean Drappeau's declarations that "the Stanley Cup parade will be taking it's normal route", was something we all long to hear again some day.

I could go on but you get it. And then for MB to treat these hockey hero's of ours with such disrespect and exclude them and communicate to them by his actions that they were not welcome in the dressing room or to mingle with the current players, or even be at the Bell Center, just absolutely burns me. 

I am now so happy, and my level of appreciation has gone up even higher, with Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes, for the way they are turning that around and making those former players feel welcome again and setting up times for them to get together at the Bell Center with current players

I am still amazed each time I hear a story like this where someone has shown such disrespect and has such a lack of appreciation for people who have done great things in some part of life. But my heart is warmed when I see others who recognize the damage that has been done and then intentionally makes decisions and takes the necessary steps to correct that wrong. It's just the right thing to do. Well done Jeff and Kent. You have made many of us proud once again!  

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I took an instant dislike to MB when he brought back that piece of shot baboon Therrien as coach. His next big move was deciding to play hardball with Subban, while every other GM was rushing to sign their RFA’s before the CBA expired. The only other team to make the same stupid mistake was the Avalanche with ROR.

We are in cap hell, and MB left the team in a much bigger mess than when he took over. The only other GM that can say that is Houle. Only difference is that at least Houle is an extremely nice guy, while Bergevin is a dick who’s won squat in his career.

One of MB’s basic flaws as a manager was to run his show as a private mafia where what mattered above all was loyalty to him. Thus, he kept that blithering jackanapse Lefebvre in place for five years (!!) despite his proven incompetence - God knows what damage ensued to our player development- and hired that dimwit Therrien and then held on to him long past his best-by date. He also allowed personal animus to contaminate player decisions (Subban) and erred in the other direction as well, seemingly being only too happy to embrace crushing contracts for ‘his’ players in Price, Weber, and Gally.

Crapping all over the heads of Habs alumni - the greatest alumni in the game - is consistent with this power-maximizing mafioso attitude to leadership. It had to be His Show and damn the consequences. No other voices, no other variables allowed.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One of MB’s basic flaws as a manager was to run his show as a private mafia where what mattered above all was loyalty to him. This, he kept that blithering jackanapse Lefebvre in place for five years (!!) despite his proven incompetence - God knows what damage ensued to our player development- and hired that dimwit Therrien and then held on to him long past his best-by date. He also allowed personal animus to contaminate player decisions (Subban) and erred in the other direction as well, seemingly being only too happy to embrace crushing contracts for ‘his’ players in Price, Weber, and Gally.

Crapping all over the heads of Habs alumni - the greatest alumni in the game - is consistent with this power-maximizing mafioso attitude to leadership. It had to be His Show and damn the consequences. No other voices, no other variables allowed.

It’s this narcissistic nonsense that had the Habs without skills coaches or analytics department despite being used league wide for years. 

Bergevin thought that he knew better and was smarter than everyone else, despite being an idiot - the calling card of all narcissists. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One of MB’s basic flaws as a manager was to run his show as a private mafia where what mattered above all was loyalty to him. Thus, he kept that blithering jackanapse Lefebvre in place for five years (!!) despite his proven incompetence - God knows what damage ensued to our player development- and hired that dimwit Therrien and then held on to him long past his best-by date. He also allowed personal animus to contaminate player decisions (Subban) and erred in the other direction as well, seemingly being only too happy to embrace crushing contracts for ‘his’ players in Price, Weber, and Gally.

The only thing I disagree with here is the statement on the damage to player development. I think that it is very apparent what a disastrous failure Bergevin and Lefebvre’s  incompetence produced as evidenced by the rebuilt we are in now and how few players touched by Lefebvre achieved success. 

On 3/30/2023 at 3:39 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

if I had a dollar every time Cuccumber made me google a word I’d be rich. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1