GAME#75 Habs vs Flyers 7PM Tuesday March 28 2023

DON

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Exciting finish!

Watched the last 10 minutes and I’m curious how Farrell did. 

STATISTICALLY ... 13:03 (9th amongst Habs forwards), one takeaway, bagels otherwise.

St. Louis pulls the goalie without control in the offensive zone and history repeats itself once again.  If this game actually mattered in the standings, I wouldn't be a happy camper seeing that happen over and over again.  Have him near the blueline, then pull him if you get control.  If you don't get control, at least you're not getting scored on within 10 seconds.

Tonight's postgame: http://www.habsworld.net/2023/03/flyers-spoil-farrells-debut/

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

St. Louis pulls the goalie without control in the offensive zone and history repeats itself once again.  If this game actually mattered in the standings, I wouldn't be a happy camper seeing that happen over and over again.  Have him near the blueline, then pull him if you get control.  If you don't get control, at least you're not getting scored on within 10 seconds.

Tonight's postgame: http://www.habsworld.net/2023/03/flyers-spoil-farrells-debut/

I absolutely agree with that.  Hopefully, in the future when the Habs get better that trend of his ends.  

Its unfortunate that Matheson misplayed the puck on the Flyers 3rd goal, but no biggie because the Habs are better off with a loss anyway.  

Primeau wasn't highly tested in this game but he looked decent and seems to have improved.  I want to see him play 1-2 more games this year just to see how he does.  

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think that criticism applies in this case, as it was a turnover by Matheson in his own zone that caused the goal. With a goalie in net that's still an egregious error that becomes a 1 on 1 breakaway. With normal play by the defenders we're going the other way with the extra attacker.

14 hours ago, Neech said:

I don't think that criticism applies in this case, as it was a turnover by Matheson in his own zone that caused the goal. With a goalie in net that's still an egregious error that becomes a 1 on 1 breakaway. With normal play by the defenders we're going the other way with the extra attacker.

But if Primeau is still in net, does Matheson make that desperate play?  He was the last line of defence so he decided he had to try something.  If Primeau is there, does he make a different play, such as play it back to Primeau to pass it forward to where the coverage isn't and basically reset?  It's a bad play from Matheson, no doubt, but I think his decision to do that was based on him being the last-resort option since Primeau was pulled already.  No way to know for sure obviously but that was my line of thinking for my comment.