2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

As much as I want the Leafs to go out the first round, they are due to win a round after all of these round 1 exits.  That being said, over the course of all of these exits, they've blown 2 3-1 series leads and haven't won an elimination game in nearly 2 decades.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

As much as I want the Leafs to go out the first round, they are due to win a round after all of these round 1 exits.  That being said, over the course of all of these exits, they've blown 2 3-1 series leads and haven't won an elimination game in nearly 2 decades.

Hedman should give Weber/Price a call and ask for some hints.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Nichushkin leaving the team for reasons unknown, very weird.

Military service, or maybe is a gay guy on the team?

Love his title of this bit.

https://theathletic.com/4445980/2023/04/24/nhl-playoffs-officiating-complaints/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Duhatschek: Is the NHL turning into a league of crybabies this playoffs?

In practically every game, somebody is getting cheated by the officials and somebody — player or coach — is complaining afterward about how unjustly they’re being treated.
Then there was McLellan. How did he feel about the penalty against Fiala?

“I could get up here and whine about officiating, but in all my years, I’ve learned that calls go your way or they don’t go your way and it’s really a waste of energy,” he answered. “So, if they called a tripping penalty, it’s a tripping penalty. That’s just how it goes.”

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Yeah, but this year Tampas goaltending has been well below the norm. They aren’t coming back unless they start getting that shutdown goaltending they’ve had for years.

37 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but this year Tampas goaltending has been well below the norm. They aren’t coming back unless they start getting that shutdown goaltending they’ve had for years.

Yeah, well, if Vasilevskiy was going to crap out, why couldn't he have done it in 2021, instead of now, when all of Canada (outside of Ontario) is counting on him?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Love his title of this bit.

https://theathletic.com/4445980/2023/04/24/nhl-playoffs-officiating-complaints/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Duhatschek: Is the NHL turning into a league of crybabies this playoffs?

In practically every game, somebody is getting cheated by the officials and somebody — player or coach — is complaining afterward about how unjustly they’re being treated.
Then there was McLellan. How did he feel about the penalty against Fiala?

“I could get up here and whine about officiating, but in all my years, I’ve learned that calls go your way or they don’t go your way and it’s really a waste of energy,” he answered. “So, if they called a tripping penalty, it’s a tripping penalty. That’s just how it goes.”

image.jpeg

He should take a look at the 2 phantom calls on Marcus Foligno on Sunday then.  Both of which lead to PP goals, in a game that ended 3-2 for Dallas, so those PPGs had a major impact on the game.

The second one, with less than 5 minutes left in a 2-1 game was this "tripping" call.

And is wasnt called, so lets move on.

Has officiating improved since 1940...likely not.

Fact of life, thems the breaks.

If its an obvious f-up they at least will retract stuff now, so bit better that way i guess.

Hope Carolina dispatches the Isles today. Go Kotkaniemi Go!

Minni-Dal no one really cares, do they?

A game 5 win for the Oilers would be great to see!

Jays up 7-0:canada:

25 minutes ago, DON said:

And is wasnt called, so lets move on.

Has officiating improved since 1940...likely not.

Fact of life, thems the breaks.

If its an obvious f-up they at least will retract stuff now, so bit better that way i guess.

Hope Carolina dispatches the Isles today. Go Kotkaniemi Go!

Minni-Dal no one really cares, do they?

A game 5 win for the Oilers would be great to see!

Jays up 7-0:canada:

I prefer that KK bomb out, thanks.

Agree on both Min-Dal and the Oil. McDavid is a great player and a deep run from him would be exciting.

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Congrats to Kulak for scoring his 1st playoff goal.  He started the play in the Oils end and then finished it.  

Always liked Kulak and felt he was rather unfairly treated like a depth defenceman by our coaching staff. Good for him 👍

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Always liked Kulak and felt he was rather unfairly treated like a depth defenceman by our coaching staff. Good for him 👍

Well, 3rd pairing on the Oilers not a big jump in role, is it. He is capable but has weak moments defending, same as always i think.

33 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, 3rd pairing on the Oilers not a big jump in role, is it. He is capable but has weak moments defending, same as always i think.

I’d prefer him to Savard or Wideman.

58 minutes ago, DON said:

Yeah, the difference is that they seem committed to keeping him in the lineup. I see him as a guy who can take a regular shift.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Getting Ekholm was huge for the Oilers, allowed Kulak to move to the 3rd pairing and that really solidified their defense. Anyone know why game 6 is not until Saturday?  Arena availability? 

51 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Anyone know why game 6 is not until Saturday?  Arena availability? 

Probably.  The Kings play where the Lakers and Clippers both play with both NBA franchises making the playoffs (the Clippers have since been eliminated).  Game 6 of MEM/LAL is Friday if necessary and I think had LAC/PHX gone to 6, that game would have been Thursday.  So for the Kings, it was either play back-to-back yesterday/today with travel or wait until Saturday.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Getting Ekholm was huge for the Oilers, allowed Kulak to move to the 3rd pairing and that really solidified their defense. Anyone know why game 6 is not until Saturday?  Arena availability? 

He is a solid 3rd pair D that can play up over short spans. He would not fit in the Habs LD depth chart which bodes well for the Habs

I am glad for him on getting this goal

On 4/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, TurdBurglar said:

Yep, exactly.  It could be game 7 with the Leafs up 4-1 with 5 mins left and they could still blow the series.  Apparently, Samsonov might have injured himself in a practice - he fell awkwardly on a save in a shooting drill and left early.  

I'll be watching the Avs vs Kraken game tonight because that series has been interesting.  Can the Kraken knock out the Avs?  If yes, how far can they go?  The Kraken are a new team with no history and they've never been in the playoffs before so its hard to say.  Surprisingly, they're doing really well against the Avs so far. 

Makar's 1 game suspension was a joke, it should have been for longer.  McCann is relatively unknown but he is the Krakens top scorer and got 40 goals this year.  Based on that, Makar should be out for the rest of the series.  Imagine if the Habs were in a series and somebody hit Caulfield like that and got 1 game suspension.  We'd all be super pissed off about it that's for sure.  

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'll be watching the Avs vs Kraken game tonight because that series has been interesting.  Can the Kraken knock out the Avs?  If yes, how far can they go?  The Kraken are a new team with no history and they've never been in the playoffs before so its hard to say.  Surprisingly, they're doing really well against the Avs so far. 

Makar's 1 game suspension was a joke, it should have been for longer.  McCann is relatively unknown but he is the Krakens top scorer and got 40 goals this year.  Based on that, Makar should be out for the rest of the series.  Imagine if the Habs were in a series and somebody hit Caulfield like that and got 1 game suspension.  We'd all be super pissed off about it that's for sure.  

I agree the suspension should have been longer.  Showed clear intent as the puck was out of play way before he committed to the hit.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I agree the suspension should have been longer.  Showed clear intent as the puck was out of play way before he committed to the hit.

IF no injury, same?

Still should be suspended?

He wouldnt of been, we know that, no inury (no matter how goofy late it was, or attempt to inflict harm, or reckless) that would be 2 minutes.

Go Kraken! 

Nice.  My feed keeps freezing but I know Florida just won in OT.  

41 minutes ago, DON said:

IF no injury, same?

Still should be suspended?

He wouldnt of been, we know that, no inury (no matter how goofy late it was, or attempt to inflict harm, or reckless) that would be 2 minutes.

Go Kraken! 

Ironically, the 1st clip I saw of the hit I thought it was a legal but thats because the clip only showed 1 second before it happened.  Knowing that he suspended I was looking for if it was from behind, to the head, if he left his feet, charged him. i.e. suspendable things.  

However, as soon as they showed a longer clip from a different angle I instantly realized what the issue was.  The puck was nowhere near him and it seemed like it was 4 seconds after he had it.   The lateness of that hit sorta reminded me of Hunter hitting Turgeon back in the day.