2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

38 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Correct.  That's what makes the next series such a conflict for me.  Heaven forbid the Leafs win the cup but I would much rather draft 17th than 30th. 

The only time in my life I cheer for the Bruins and they screw me over. 

Nope ... that was my logic for "cheering" for the Bruins but I'll give up 17th to get the #$$%&^*&(**&%$^#%$%^**^&%^#$%@$%^*%^&$^#%@$%$^% Leafs eliminated.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Nope ... that was my logic for "cheering" for the Bruins but I'll give up 17th to get the #$$%&^*&(**&%$^#%$%^**^&%^#$%@$%^*%^&$^#%@$%$^% Leafs eliminated.

I hear you and totally understand the sentiment.  I guess in a perfect world the Leafs beat Florida but lose in the next series but it's not a perfect world.  Damn those Bruins. 

Well, if nothing else, Bruins fans just learned the difference between their supposedly indestructible team and the 1977 Montreal Canadiens 🙄

I stopped hoping for a Boston win anyway, based on their floundering in this series. Hopefully FLA can keep rolling and demolish Toronto.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Me, I care much more about the Habs of the future than the Leafs of today.

It’s not just the Leafs of today. If they win the Cup, you are going to hear about it endlessly from the media cheerleaders for the rest of your life, presented as the Greatest Moment in Hockey History when All of Canada Cheered the Team that Everbody Loves. Over. And over. And over. And over.

I’ll take a slightly lower pick to spare myself that. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s not just the Leafs of today. If they win the Cup, you are going to hear about it endlessly from the media cheerleaders for the rest of your life, presented as the Greatest Moment in Hockey History when All of Canada Cheered the Team that Everbody Loves. Over. And over. And over. And over.

EXACTLY!

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Me, I care much more about the Habs of the future than the Leafs of today.

That is my thought as well. I will hope for a Florida loss and then pray the Leafs lose in round 3 or 4 realizing that what I pray for will have zero effect on the outcome. 

I certainly understand the sentiment of those who will cheer for Florida against the Leafs though.  Damn those Bruins!!   Go Oilers!!

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah me too

Its a difficult choice but Habs future is more important than Leafs failure. 

If cheering for the Leafs GUARANTEED the 17th pick then I would consider it ... but I could debase myself by cheering for the Self-Proclaimed Centre of the Universe Foliage and the Habs still end up with the 32nd pick ... my soul is worth more than that (deliberate hyperbole).

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m able to tune out the Leafs noise so the Habs’ success is much more important to me.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If cheering for the Leafs GUARANTEED the 17th pick then I would consider it ... but I could debase myself by cheering for the Self-Proclaimed Centre of the Universe Foliage and the Habs still end up with the 32nd pick ... my soul is worth more than that (deliberate hyperbole).

You are not cheering for the Leafs to win, you are cheering for Florida to lose. Subtle difference. Very subtle. LOL

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are not cheering for the Leafs to win, you are cheering for Florida to lose. Subtle difference. Very subtle. LOL

I adore subtlety ... but I'm not certain that something being two sides of the same coin is truly subtlety ... seems more like rationalization ... die Leafs die.

Totally understand playing one last game in Montreal with his dad sick ... but one has to wonder what might have been had had sat out April 13th.

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

With some luck, Habs could draft a franchise player at 17 that would help us for 15 years. 

We can also hope that Carolina/NJ/Rags beat them or if needed the Oilers! 

The only franchise player at #17 in the history of the draft is Bobby Clarke ... FIFTY-FIVE years ago ... and that doesn't mean its due (LOL).

I can live with the pick dropping more than I can live with the Leafs winning ... besides, if what I cheered for meant a hill of beans the Habs would be over 30 Cups, Carey Price would announce his retirement this afternoon, and I would have won several lotteries.

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I adore subtlety ... but I'm not certain that something being two sides of the same coin is truly subtlety ... seems more like rationalization ... die Leafs die.

I think you are right, it is more rationalization than subtlety. I just wish there was a way for Florida to lose and the Leafs not win the next series. 

Not being exposed to the media hype machine of the Great White North, I can only claim ignorance as to what y'all must be going through. I hope Edmonton can win it all and be the return of the Cup to Canada, if I have to choose a Canadian savior that is not Montreal. For me, the Bruins are my hated Habs rival, so I'm quite pleased to see them eliminated.

Not gonna lie, I'm just glad that here, I didn't have to be exposed to yet another Crosby/Ovechkin series. If I never see another Pens/Caps game, it'll still be too soon.

Now imagine an all-Bettman final four of Seattle, Vegas, Florida, Carolina. Talk about a ratings disaster, it'll be bad enough in the US if the Rangers get punted tonight.

If I could write the future given this present reality, I’d want the Maples to beat the Panthers so the Habs get the 17th OA pick, but then have the Maples lose 4 straight in the Conference Finals. No way I want the Maples getting a sniff at the Cup. 

That said - as much as dropping from 17th to 29th ish would suck, that pain is fleeting and I’m going to trust the Habs management team. 

The Maples in the finals or - god forbid, winning the Cup is forever, not fleeting. I’ll choose the inferior pick and trust management over the squawking of Toronto fans forever any day. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The only franchise player at #17 in the history of the draft is Bobby Clarke ... FIFTY-FIVE years ago ... and that doesn't mean its due (LOL).

I can live with the pick dropping more than I can live with the Leafs winning ... besides, if what I cheered for meant a hill of beans the Habs would be over 30 Cups, Carey Price would announce his retirement this afternoon, and I would have won several lotteries.

Many scouts have said this is the deepest draft since 2003. If you were drafting #17 in 2003 you had your choice of the following; (Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber etc. 

Montreal took Kostitsyn at 10 and Cory Urquhart at 40  argh

I would much rather draft 17 than 29.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Tatar for scoring his 1st goal of these playoffs.  What a good time to score too, he made it 2-0 with about 4 mins left in the 2nd.  I haven't watched enough of this game or series to know for sure and its only a 2 goal lead but it is looking like the NYR will be out.  

34 minutes ago, DON said:

Just cant cheer for Panthers or Leafs.

Assume McDavid is still favored over Vegas, go Oilers. 

I hear you. I have decided to watch the Panthers - Leaf series with a glass is 1/2 full attitude where I know that something good will happen no matter who wins, either;

1)  Habs get the 17th pick  or

2) The Leafs go home 

Something good will happen no matter what!  Just a case of door 1 or door 2. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Kyle Connor was drafted at #17 in 2015 and he'd be our best forward of this century.