2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

Weird how many lopsided scores we’re seeing these playoffs. I definitely do not recall that being the case in past years since…well, in my entire adult life, which spans more years than I care to admit.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weird how many lopsided scores we’re seeing these playoffs. I definitely do not recall that being the case in past years since…well, in my entire adult life, which spans more years than I care to admit.

weren’t the late 1980s like this? Before Lemaire’s trap?

22 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

weren’t the late 1980s like this? Before Lemaire’s trap?

Probably. I would have been watching the Habs under Perron/Burns, so that’s what I remember - and it wasn’t exactly freewheeling hockey, let me tell ya.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Probably. I would have been watching the Habs under Perron/Burns, so that’s what I remember - and it wasn’t exactly freewheeling hockey, let me tell ya.

Same.  Back then, out of market hockey games were not a common on TV.  You'd get the odd glimpse of a series featuring American teams on TSN, which was the only sports channel on Canadian cable.

14 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Same.  Back then, out of market hockey games were not a common on TV.  You'd get the odd glimpse of a series featuring American teams on TSN, which was the only sports channel on Canadian cable.

All of my playoff watching happened on CBC, although I was on the south side of the border where TSN wasn't an option for me. We got 2 CBC channels, Ottawa and Montreal. If I remember correctly, there was a brief period of time in the early/mid-80s that CTV had a few games. On our thirteen dial TV, three channels (4,8, and 10) were Canadian broadcast TV.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Yeah, I watched on the French CBC channel, becuase after Edmonton and Calgary came into the league, I was stuck with those games locally. I actually used to listen to the habs games that weren’t televised on the French radio Canada broadcasts. Even though all i could understand other then the players names were “ el le but” “Il lans” Bella rai”.  When Montreal played Edmonton and wete upset by Edmonton in that series. 11 year old me had no idea who Edmonton’s goalie was, but I heard “Bella re hhhaaaandy moooog” so often i through that meant great great save or something. It wasn’t until an actual televised game that I realized moog was their goalie🙄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, I watched on the French CBC channel, becuase after Edmonton and Calgary came into the league, I was stuck with those games locally. I actually used to listen to the habs games that weren’t televised on the French radio Canada broadcasts. Even though all i could understand other then the players names were “ el le but” “Il lans” Bella rai”.  When Montreal played Edmonton and wete upset by Edmonton in that series. 11 year old me had no idea who Edmonton’s goalie was, but I heard “Bella re hhhaaaandy moooog” so often i through that meant great great save or something. It wasn’t until an actual televised game that I realized moog was their goalie🙄

I used to listen to Dick Irving on the radio, to improve my English.

he was the best play-by-play guy in my humble opinion. Was always spot on in describing where the puck went BEFORE the tv replay came on!

The French radio guys now are pretty good too but not to the same level

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I used to listen to Dick Irving on the radio, to improve my English.

he was the best play-by-play guy in my humble opinion. Was always spot on in describing where the puck went BEFORE the tv replay came on!

The French radio guys now are pretty good too but not to the same level

My Dad won a B&W portable TV in a raffle when I was about 11 and I spent my high school years falling asleep (or so mom and dad thought) to René Lecavalier ... IMO he was even better than Dick Irving or, in my day, Danny Gallivan (forget the TO claims about Foster Hewitt) ... and he spoke such beautiful French ... GREATLY aided my bilinguisme

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ha ha, great stuff. But goddamn did I hate Andy Moog. I remember being relieved when he signed with us, just so he couldn’t ruin our lives any more.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My Dad won a B&W portable TV in a raffle when I was about 11 and I spent my high school years falling asleep (or so mom and dad thought) to René Lecavalier ... IMO he was even better than Dick Irving or, in my day, Danny Gallivan (forget the TO claims about Foster Hewitt) ... and he spoke such beautiful French ... GREATLY aided my bilinguisme

I always preferred the French announcers, partly because they were Habs focused, but also because growing up there was an ethic among the English broadcasters that you avoided saying critical things about the officiating. I found the francophone commentators refreshingly forthright. That said, I do think English language commentary has become less prim in this respect. Nowadays all I want is commentary that will shed light on the game instead of making moronic comments.

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nowadays all I want is commentary that will shed light on the game instead of making moronic comments.

Which still drives me to watch Habs games on RDS, and even TVA (not quite as good IMO).

One NHL game/week is what we had televised; saturday night 9pm ast. forever it seemed.

Besides that it was newspaper sports section.

Scoreless game so far, 1-0 Leafs maybe Leafs can be miraculous, win 4 straight and get us that 17th pick. 

8 minutes ago, DON said:

One NHL game/week is what we had televised; saturday night 9pm ast. forever it seemed.

Besides that it was newspaper sports section.

Scoreless game so far, 1-0 Leafs maybe Leafs can be miraculous, win 4 straight and get us that 17th pick. 

It's nice to dream, getting that 1st goal was really important for Toronto but I think it's over tonight.  Florida has been a great comeback team in the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's nice to dream, getting that 1st goal was really important for Toronto but I think it's over tonight.  Florida has been a great comeback team in the playoffs. 

Gudas just laid out some Leaf with big hit, looked clean.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Gudas just laid out some Leaf with big hit, looked clean.

He took a long run to do it, outside the playoffs it'd surely be a penalty. And well after the whistle IMHO.

Gudas not one of my favourite players, I'll admit.

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Come on Leafs, just 3 more!:popcorn:

OR ... they get badly blown out in Game 5 at home and the fans have to decide between booing them off the ice or celebrating a first-round win like it's the Cup ... at this point I'm looking at it like the series is a cloud with nothing but silver linings.

The Leafs still have 2 more games before they blow game 7.

The Oilers vs VGK had another odd high score flop.   Was an interesting 3rd anyway.

With 8 mins left Yamamoto was hit near the Vegas bench and 1 of their players was holding his stick so he poked him with it.  Yamamoto didn't get a pen but they they both got 10 min misconducts.  

Then, Kane was fairly deep in Vegas end when he did a cross check shove to a Vegas guy who went awkwardly into the boards. Shortly after Brossoit made a save and shoulders Kane twice.  He tried to go after him but other Vegas guys were around Kane so he couldn't get to him.  

I'm thinking Vegas should get 2 suspensions.  Peiterangelo slashed Drai pretty viscously - right in front of a ref.  Plus, a VGK speared an Oiler in the nads and no refs saw it but its on video.

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm thinking Vegas should get 2 suspensions.  Peiterangelo slashed Drai pretty viscously - right in front of a ref.  Plus, a VGK speared an Oiler in the nads and no refs saw it but its on video.

$500 fines ... it's playoff hockey.

49 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No blood or broken bones, move on. Nothing to see here.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Quite apart from these specific infractions, the NHL fines are ridiculously small. Players make $10K to $100K per game,if you don't want suspend them, why not fine them one game's (or even one period's) salary?

Just now, tomh009 said:

Quite apart from these specific infractions, the NHL fines are ridiculously small. Players make $10K to $100K per game,if you don't want suspend them, why not fine them one game's (or even one period's) salary?

Actually ... they make nothing per game in the playoffs (just NHL bonuses per round).

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Actually ... they make nothing per game in the playoffs (just NHL bonuses per round).

Sure, that's fair, but the fines are still negligible, it's like you or me paying a parking ticket.

Make it 1% of salary to account for playoff games, but it should be big enough to inflict some pain and discourage the behaviour.

The max fine is a CBA issue.  So the NHLPA is pushing to.keep it low.

When the NHL has wanted a salary cap, or max 8 year deals, or 50/50 hrr, or some other issue in CBA negotiations, the max fine has been an issue that they havent pushed.  Its not the hill to.die on for the league.