Two-year deal for Michael Pezzetta

dlbalr

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs have re-signed Michael Pezzetta to a two-year contract with a cap hit of $812,500.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/habs-re-sign-michael-pezzetta-3/

Good news for a great teammate

Go Habs Go

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

Good news for a great teammate

Go Habs Go

Agree ... I expect (hope) that he will earn most of that money in Laval as a veteran leader ... but nice to see a "good guy" get paid.

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree ... I expect (hope) that he will earn most of that money in Laval as a veteran leader ... but nice to see a "good guy" get paid.

While I def see your point and think Laval needs some toughness to protect the young talent the rocket will have this season I also like Pezz with the big club because:

a) he really isn’t that threatening to other tough guys and don’t know if he really intimidates enough to keep opponents from taking liberties.  He’s a gamer and willing to go with anyone, but don’t know if he intimidates the way a larger, more typical fighter would.  Obv not so black and white tho and I am sure he garners a certain level of awareness.

b) Mtl needs that same protection of their young guys and I don’t want Suzuki,Andy, Slaf, CC, Guhle, Harris to have to fight, and Eddy & Savard don’t seem to fill that role either. That leaves Wifi (assuming he isn’t in Laval which is very possible) which isn’t great for him or team.  The team needs a fw who can stand up for teammates/hold opponents accountable as well as punish the opposing d.

Not a goon but a willing combattent who won’t be overly missed when injured/suspended from an offense perspective.

c) He is perfect for the press box when not required, but will still bring it every game he is in and also not complain or be a distraction when not playing.  His salary is not a burden obv.

He could dress half the games and still lead team in hits, get his ten points and be valuable vs certain teams/in back-to-back situations.

Regardless, happy to see him stick around at that rate and whether in Mtl or Laval he will fill an important role both places, perhaps he bounces back and forth but I predict he spends all year in Mtl.  
Hard not like the guy as he leaves it all on the ice, seems genuinely proud to be a Hab and living his dream with a smile on his face just about every time I see him.

Go Habs Go! 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good deal for a marginal player who will likely be superseded once we have a good team.

Let’s hope we improve before his contact is up!!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

While I def see your point and think Laval needs some toughness to protect the young talent the rocket will have this season I also like Pezz with the big club ...

Just hoping he is pushed out of a job on merit

18 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Good point.

With four skilled lines he is kind of obsolete/press box material .

From a team perspective this is virtually a no-risk contract. Reliable piece that has earned the one-way, and you don’t mind paying it if he ends up in the AHL. I probably would have offered $50k more to cut his hair, but my hockey-playing son insists his yearly mullet is divine.  

22 hours ago, GHT120 said:

He played 63 games last year and wasnt injured.  He was a healthy scratch 19 times.

This on a team that finished bottom 5 in the NHL and had more injuries than almost anyone else in the league.

On merit, hes already a 13th or 14th forward on one of the leagues worst teams.

Once the Habs are good, I see his absolute max role as a press box guy who might play if the team wants more toughness in a game.  But thats his ceiling.

Of course this contract can be buried in the AHL with no cap hit so its no risk.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

He played 63 games last year and wasnt injured.  He was a healthy scratch 19 times.

This on a team that finished bottom 5 in the NHL and had more injuries than almost anyone else in the league.

On merit, hes already a 13th or 14th forward on one of the leagues worst teams.

Once the Habs are good, I see his absolute max role as a press box guy who might play if the team wants more toughness in a game.  But thats his ceiling.

Of course this contract can be buried in the AHL with no cap hit so its no risk.

Well said as usual.

It’s harmless, and only to be expected, but the fan love for this guy irritates me a bit. Yes, he works hard and has “jam” but his very existence in the NHL is basically a symptom of how terrible the Habs are - not much more than that.

Well said as usual.

It’s harmless, and only to be expected, but the fan love for this guy irritates me a bit. Yes, he works hard and has “jam” but his very existence in the NHL is basically a symptom of how terrible the Habs are - not much more than that.

He’s an easily recognizable replaceable spare part, who I would have preferred to see more of than Slafkovsky last year.

• Upvote 1

Well said as usual.

same can be said for 1/3 of the team . He is an honest 4th liner that has earned his spot and brings jam to a lineup that is otherwise tame

I do not understand the hate 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

same can be said for 1/3 of the team . He is an honest 4th liner that has earned his spot and brings jam to a lineup that is otherwise tame

I do not understand the hate 

Not hate at all. Just my general mild irritation with the fan tendency - not at all unique to Habs fans - to fall in love with marginal scrubs. Fortunately, our management seems clear-eyed about him (as the contract shows). This would not have been the case with some previous iterations of Habs' management. Houle probably would have inked him to a long-term deal as a core piece after Blueberry raved about his merits.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not hate at all. Just my general mild irritation with the fan tendency - not at all unique to Habs fans - to fall in love with marginal scrubs. Fortunately, our management seems clear-eyed about him (as the contract shows). This would not have been the case with some previous iterations of Habs' management. Houle probably would have inked him to a long-term deal as a core piece after Blueberry raved about his merits.

HuGort have not given us much to cheer about this off season

Let us cheer on any semblance of good  news that trickles down from the ivory tower 

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let us cheer on any semblance of good  news that trickles down from the ivory tower 

When does anything of significance happen pre-draft for any team? This is management/coach hire season, not roster move season.

As far as Pezzetta, nice reward for a player. Good for him, nothing exciting from a team standpoint.

Staff is hired and fired pre-draft

AHL staff is also re-evaluated and fired/hired

UFAs are told they will not be te-signed

Prospects news come out about NCAA and European prospects come over to N-A to train for the summer and “be ready for camp”; especially before the F1 race in Montreal 

And some RFAs and UFAs are resigned

Stuff happens in June. 

Not to hijack the thread further. Pezzetta deserves de contract extension he got, he earned at it is a cap hit in-line with his talent level.

…. but Goalfield signed! 

There is life in the Habs news ticker :) 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 12:56 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Do you post anything that isn't a shot at the coach/GM?

What do you expect before the cup final is even over?

Why is it an ivory tower?

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't see Perry wanting to come back.  The guy has been chasing another cup.  We are not in the same position we were in the last time he signed with us. 

Agreed.