Claude Julien Fired! Gainey To Take Over.

Hab4life

For weeks and weeks it's become more and more obvious that Julien was unable to handle the team appropriately. The kids were completely misused and some of the underperforming vets (Ribs) were way overused. There's no doubt Julien was not able to translate his minor league successes to the major leagues. It's unfortunate, because he did have some strong ideas, however his game plan did not work.

That said, I wonder how long ago this decision was made, and I wonder if this was done now because of an inability to get a trade done to Gainey's satisfaction - Aucoin or Souray's injury, for instance. If you can't change the chemistry of the team from without (other players), then change it from within until you can achieve those trades which you desire. Still, I think this decision was inevitable, though Gainey was patient enough to allow Julien as much time as possible to turn things around.

Losing Rick Green is an obvious choice as well. The addition of Carbo is both interesting and somewhat predictable, though I have some questions regarding Dougie Jarvis. There's going to be some interesting fallout when Gainey comes to finding the coach he desires, as Carbo has been tagged as a potential head coach for a while, but you get the feeling that Jarvis has been hand-picked by Gainey from within the organization to go far in a coaching capacity.

The big question now, of course, is that of personnel. Does Gainey continue the shuffle and make some trades, or does he pull back from that route temporarily to get a more personal handle on the state of the players.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all i can say is that this is a HUGE surprise. :o

i had expected a change of some sort but only in the sense of a player move. more dagenais-like stuff or maybe, at worst, a player or two exchanged for something or other.

the picture of heaven today is either the gainey-carbonneau-jarvis triumvirate or team canada's sutter.

as an expession of 'justice at last', i'd love to see, as 'johnnyhasbeen' said, ted nolan back in the saddle. he did super work with the sabres a number of years ago. he may have not been a 'team player' with the management at the time but maybe he has changed his perspective and is able to work with his gm and team owner. he seems to be doing ok with the moncton wildcats. he even took the racial slurs with calm as he dealt with it.

i don't think that it'll be one of the present hamilton coach staff, don lever or ron wilson but, ten again, it could be someone totally out of the blue though not likely.

Ah........... change.............. intriguing, exciting, envigourating and yet also frightening, :wacko:

I agree with some of the above posters. I think gainey is taking over until after the olympic break. He will evaluate the players first hand and will get the dead wood out. I think Carbo will then become the head coach. The D coach is interesting, it would be nice to see Robinson as an assistant coach to help out with the D. One other question is how will this team play, to be honest i couldn't even figure out what kind of system they were playing. I know it was very passive, combined with alot of soft players it was hard to watch. I hope they become a little more aggressive.

Wow. Once again Bob's shocks the, eh, socks off of everyone. Even with the team in freefall, there was no hint of Julien being in trouble and Boom!

How the hell does Bob keep all of this quiet?

Anyway... I feel sorry for Julien; he deserved better from his players. I hope that this will give the underachievers the kick in the ass they need and deserve. It will be interesting to see how the team plays tonight.

robinson as asst coach for the d is a very good idea. that way he wont have all the pressure on himself. He is a good coach but takes everything too much to heart. Some nights I think he would like to put the skates on himself and show them how it is done.

This is indeed unexpected. I was thinking yesterday that Julien should probably be fired, but I couldn't think of a likely candidate to replace him. I thought briefly about Gainey, but I concluded that that would be unlikely. But I am happily surprised about Gainey & Carbo! Let's hope this provides the jump it needs!

as an expession of 'justice at last', i'd love to see, as 'johnnyhasbeen' said, ted nolan back in the saddle. he did super work with the sabres a number of years ago. he may have not been a 'team player' with the management at the time but maybe he has changed his perspective and is able to work with his gm and team owner. he seems to be doing ok with the moncton wildcats. he even took the racial slurs with calm as he dealt with it.

Nolan is a dumb overrated a-hole. I wouldn't even want him as our ECHL affiliate. I dont understand why people bring his name up after its been proved countless times that the guy's Jack-Adams was a total fluke curtesy of Dominik Hasek.

Find other names, puh-leeeeze.

robinson as asst coach for the d is a very good idea. that way he wont have all the pressure on himself. He is a good coach but takes everything too much to heart. Some nights I think he would like to put the skates on himself and show them how it is done.

hehehehe.. you just want the glorieux brain trust?

not that i disagree

Wow. Once again Bob's shocks the, eh, socks off of everyone. Even with the team in freefall, there was no hint of Julien being in trouble and Boom!

How the hell does Bob keep all of this quiet?

Anyway... I feel sorry for Julien; he deserved better from his players. I hope that this will give the underachievers the kick in the ass they need and deserve. It will be interesting to see how the team plays tonight.

Yeah, that's the bad part. Julien got canned because he cut the vets too much slack and they never stepped up.

They'll regret Julien pretty soon once Gainey and Carbo start lowering the crap tolerance level. But Gainey will soon realize that he still have much work left to do to have a top-end team under his hand.

ABSOLUTELY THE RIGHT THING TO DO. I APPLAUDE MR. GAINEY!!!

I hate to say I told you so....but I've been saying this for quite a while now.

You can see the players looked confused out there. They have been outcoached since the other teams have learned how to play after the first month or so.

The only thing I was worried about was where Gainey was going to find a coach. I give him a ton of credit for saying enough is enough. I will take the blame for signing Julien and take the reins myself.

GO GAINEY GO!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!

I don't think this is necessarily a decision with financial reasons b/c CJ had a 3 year deal signed very recently and George will have to eat that contract. I think George wants to win!!! or at least that's what i'll keep telling myself

julien will want to work sometime in the next three years and he will need to get out of his commitment to the habs. No way we pay out 3 yrs of that contract. Maybe CJ can force a nice buyout, but I wouldnt be too surprised if the buyout was relatively small. CJ needs to coach somewhere else now or else he might not get a job again.

Well i was never one of those people who thought that Julien should be fired, but if he was going to be fired, I can't think of many scenarios that I like more than having Gainey himself step behind the bench, and to bring back an assistant like Carbo.

Under Carbo in 2001-2002 we had the 6th best PK unit in the league. Right now we sit 20th.

You have to feel for Julien, this is clearly one of those cases where the team is much more to blame, but the coach had to take the fall.

I wonder though, is Gainey still going to make a deal or are those talks going to subside for now?

Hey guys, this is my first post although I've been reading the forums here all season. Not sure if this was ever mentioned but I was watching TV station CHOT (TVA) here in Ottawa which has been covering the firing of CJ. They mentioned this might have all started after an incident which happened on Dec 31st after the loss in Carolina. Apparently New Years is a huge thing in Russia, and on the plane home after the game, Kovy apparently did something to try and make the guys laugh and it wasn't taken very good by the coaches. I think we've all seen that Kovy hasn't been himself in the past few games since then.

Anyone else about this?

Edited by chief_balthor

Her we go ...everbody gets their way and Julien is fired. This is an extremely bad move..oh ya, it will pump the troops for 5 games and then back they go. Carbo is not a good coach or even a coach for that matter. I wonder how long it will be before we cry for his head...maybe tonite. At the beginning of the year, if you'd ask whether you'd accept being 2 games over .500 at the midpoint, most would say yes. Was it Julien's fault we traded away Garon and got bonk? Was it Julien's fault they signed that useless piece of crap, Red Light Theodore? Was it Julien's fault they signed USELESS to a 4 yr contract even though he had a bad year the year before? Was it Julien's fault they drafted Price when they could have had a superstar in the making...Marc Stall? Was it Julien's doing when the 8th seed beat the 1st seed in the last Playoffs? I say yes only to the last question! Here's to Claude Julien...I'm hoping you enjoy the rest of your 3 year contract these clowns are going to pay you and hope you bounce back and show this sorry ass organization where the real problem is. Remember folks Carbo was a great player but he has not been a good coach and will not be a good coach. Poor Carbo...you're being fed to the lions!!

Well, to say the least I am surprised at the timing of this move. I thought that Gainey would wait until the offseason to make a coaching change. Getting Carbonneau is a bonus, especially since moving him away from an assistant GM's position in Dallas is a coup. Clearing out the assistant coaches is not surprising.

I have to gloat for just a minute. Earlier this year, when everyone started calling for Juliens head, I said that Gainey would bring in Carbonneau, who was actually his choice for coach from the start, I believe. Then everyone shot me down, saying no way Carb comes back, he's assistant GM, etc etc..but hey, look whose back in town! Also, I agree with one of the earlier posts today which imply's that BG is just coaching untill he and Carb get a handle on things..next year, for sure, Carbo is head coach.

He just said it

Carbo to take over as head coach at the beginning of next year

OH man...This is definitely going in the right direction

Carbo is THE MAN

as a mud-stirrer, i hope that this won't be a bit of the same 'old gang' thing that took place back in mario tremblay's day. :unsure:

Well, during the press conference Gainey mentioned that Carbonneau & Jarvis will become associate coaches. I'm predicting that both will be auditioning for the head coaches job.