3rd Period Blues

jackp

How many of you were upset with what you saw from the Habs in the 3rd period against Dallas last night? This style of play (playing a prevent defence) is one of the "holdovers" from the Julien era, and one that I hope Gainey gets rid of. Not only did we abandon our offensive game (stupid strategy), but *we completely lost intensity.* We played soft the entire period. Lucky for us that Theodore brought his "A" game to that period or we surely would have lost.

These guys make lots of money. Is it too much to ask that they play a full 60 minutes, instead of just 40? (And hopefully BG realizes that it's good *defensive strategy* to spend at least half the period in the other team's zone, rather than spending most of the period in your own zone.)

- Jack

I totally agree, once the habs get a lead, even a one goal lead they back off. If i'm not mistaken they had only 15 shots for the game. That is not going to cut it. Old habits die hard, it will be a while i think until you'll see a full 60 minute game. I have faith in Gainey and Carbo to get things rolling. I also think there will be some moves to help out. Especially since it looks like Souray has now moved to the right side D man.

How many of you were upset with what you saw from the Habs in the 3rd period against Dallas last night? This style of play (playing a prevent defence) is one of the "holdovers" from the Julien era, and one that I hope Gainey gets rid of. Not only did we abandon our offensive game (stupid strategy), but *we completely lost intensity.* We played soft the entire period. Lucky for us that Theodore brought his "A" game to that period or we surely would have lost.

These guys make lots of money. Is it too much to ask that they play a full 60 minutes, instead of just 40? (And hopefully BG realizes that it's good *defensive strategy* to spend at least half the period in the other team's zone, rather than spending most of the period in your own zone.)

- Jack

Tis true ... although objectively there is another problem.....Would this Third period D minded gameplay coincide with Markov leaving the game?

If so then this is YET ANOTHER sign that we desperately need another 2nd Dman if not a 1st one! the team's confidence depends on whats happening on the blue line and if NOT then just by play making The puck aint getting from the Blue line to the forwards when Markov aint there!

Looking at the shot totals for the last 2 games, looks like it happened vs. the Sharks as well. Granted we were up 6-1, but in the new NHL is a 5 goal lead safe :P

VS Sharks Habs

1) 6 6

2) 8 14

3) 11 6

VS Stars Habs

1) 10 6

2) 10 7

3) 17 2

Any maybe playing without Markov bumped up the Stars totals; but we only got 2 shots ourselves....And with the "crackdown" on penalties; a couple Stars PP's and their back in the game....

I would advise you to not read into those stats very much. The last two games Montreal played 2 very good goalies. Gainey might have said they he wants more quality and less quantity. Although you can never score on the shot you do not take shot selection is very important. The Habs face another top end may be the best in the Western Conference Thursday Kipper. One positive that can be taken is that the Habs shots must be of high quality their team shooting percentage the past 2 games under Gainey is 24% if the habs can keep that stat up for the rest of the season I don’t believe habs fans will be complaining about the amount of shots too often. :D:D

- Jack

I have to disagree. In both games we had defensible leads. There is nothing wrong with paying extra attention to defence when you have a 3 or more goal lead.

If we adopt such a defensive posture for the whole 3rd period when we have a 1 goal lead that will be a problem. We still have to see what happens when the Gainey coached Habs face that situation.

I have to disagree. In both games we had defensible leads. There is nothing wrong with paying extra attention to defence when you have a 3 or more goal lead.

Do you really think it's okay to be outshot 17-2 and spend almost the entire period in our own zone? I can even buy not going for more goals, but how about the lack of intensity that was shown *by some* (admittedly, not by all)?

Did you not find that we were lucky not to have been tied? I mean there was a shot that hit the back of (Souray?)'s leg, a goal post, and a few that skimmed just wide. Personally, I think that style of play is flirting with fire.

Now, there's no argument on the San Jose game. We *were* outshot but our intensity remained good and SJ actually had few scoring chances, despite their shot total...

- Jack

I have no issue with playing defensively with a 3 goal lead. The problem with CJ was that he would do that in the first period with a one goal lead. :(

I think another issue is our lineup. Despite Ribs play in the last month, he does setup a lot of chances. With his limited ice time (and current linemates), that probably cuts down on the offense a fair bit (5 on 5).

When first started as a coach Gainey did mention that the players physical condition should be improved.

I thought their third against the Stars as showned that despite icing shorter shifts on a regulard basis during

the five intense periods played against San Jose and the first two against the Stars.....they fund themselves

out of breath for the third.

We all know that in order for the Ch to rescue the saison they gona have to win the battles along the boards

until the springs....and they are going to have to do it on in Olympique year,...with a un-usually un-friendly

games shedule.........the strech on which they are about to start on thursday is a good exemple of whats to follow.

Else the right working attitude which I believe is a problem now solve,....they will required above average

physical condition, power plays efficienty and goaltending in order to save the season.

1) condition is average now according to Bob. Olympique appearances of our best players might not help.

2) Power play has been great in the last two games but.......not before that point. Bob might have to sacrifice

some youths in order to get what could had been had for free during the off-season.

3) As for goaltending Jose could well be able to deliver......someone must.

Interesting second half to say the least.

Bob mentionned the 60-minutes in the press conference announcing the firing of CJ. He said players have to get through their heads that they need to play for 60 mins.

I think its all a confidence problem. Players become passive and hang on their lead hoping to win rather than stay in control of the game. I dont think its a tactical issue, I think its a mental issue. Players lack the killing instinct that you need to hammer the last nail in the opposition when they're down.

Bob and Guy will surely remediate to the situation.

I think its all a confidence problem. Players become passive and hang on their lead hoping to win rather than stay in control of the game. I dont think its a tactical issue, I think its a mental issue. Players lack the killing instinct that you need to hammer the last nail in the opposition when they're down.

Very good point. You might be right here...

- Jack