What Is Wrong With Koivu/kovalev?

Nilan25

What is wrong with these guys? Have you ever seen two glummer faces? Even on the power play they look awful. Remember when either one of them would play the wheel man on the PP? I think they do not like playing with each other. I guess this is what happened with Kovalev in New York. Also, Dadenault looks to me that he is totally intimidated about physical contact out there. We just can't lose to the Leafs!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's simple, no pride, don't care if they win or lose, make alot of money. I think Therien had it right, if you show 20% effort, you get paid 20% of your game check.

If we went by therien's way of paying players, the habs would be way under the salary cap.

What is wrong with these guys? Have you ever seen two glummer faces? I think they do not like playing with each other.

Maybe sometime they should watch a movie together.

What is wrong with people, to accuse Koivu of being lazy and having no heart? Doesn't 10 years of giving every scrap of his being for the CH prove his worth?

I've never seen Koivu so low, except when he's played with injuries - and there was one season in the late 90s when he went on a 5-game point drought after the Habs had been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So he is either hurt, or something serious has happened to demoralize him.

It probably comes back to the under-discussed Begin-Kovalev quarrel several weeks back. Personally, I think somebody is sleeping with somebody else's wife, or some other really toxic thing has gone on. That, or ongoing injuries. Because this is NOT normal.

Broke back cowboys is still out there i beleive. They can sit for a couple hours and watch that, i suspect it's sort of like watching a habs game, except probably more contact.

There is nothing like popcorn and sodomy to really bring people together.

I wonder who gets Ribs first?

The way this team plays demoralizes everyone. If your captain can't play hard every night, then that's a problem .If he is playing hurt, he is not helping the team. I think he was great for 10 years but now he is not playing well. If your going to call out Theo, Bonk, etc. Then all the other players who aren't performing are fair game to be called out. It doesn't matter what your name is.

The way this team plays demoralizes everyone. If your captain can't play hard every night, then that's a problem .If he is playing hurt, he is not helping the team. I think he was great for 10 years but now he is not playing well. If your going to call out Theo, Bonk, etc. Then all the other players who aren't performing are fair game to be called out. It doesn't matter what your name is.

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning Koivu's effort, I am frankly puzzled by his ineffective play. Is he exhausted by trying to outmuscle defenders that 5 inches and 40 pounds heavier each night. That being said, the line no longer looks like a good fit. Considering that lack of scoring maybe it is time to call Dags back up.

Trade them both, get 2 Canadians to fill in the roles, ie Richards and Lecavier.

What do expect from a Russian and Finn hockey player?

We all know that this game is Canadian and the reason we do well in international competition is our heart.

We as Canadien fans therefore expect this out of our NHL team players. How can anyone think that these foriegn players could ever demonstrate this Canadian trait night in night out. It is unnatural for them, their talent allows them to play in our league, I am not saying they aren't talented, but the most talented team doesn't recieve the cup most seasons. You want heart hire Canadian.

Trade them both, get 2 Canadians to fill in the roles, ie Richards and Lecavier.

We all know that this game is Canadian and the reason we do well in international competition is our heart.

We as Canadien fans therefore expect this out of our NHL team players. How can anyone think that these foriegn players could ever demonstrate this Canadian trait night in night out. It is unnatural for them, their talent allows them to play in our league, I am not saying they aren't talented, but the most talented team doesn't recieve the cup most seasons. You want heart hire Canadian.

I disagree with your take on Finns. They are tough people and tough competitors, Koivu's heart and desire far otwighs his physical stamina. I will concede on Russians who do give up.

I disagree with your take on Finns. They are tough people and tough competitors, Koivu's heart and desire far otwighs his physical stamina. I will concede on Russians who do give up.

[/quote

Yes they are probably the next best to Canadians, it is true, but still not as much heart as a Canadian hockey player. Not discreditting here, it is our game, and because of that there is a drive a desire that gets results far above ability. This can't be argued against. Case in point, this years Jr team. Or last yrs or the TB Lightning, or........

No, we need to be a Canadian lead team. Sorry just a fact.

edit-spelling

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

And thats the lamest Ive ever heard. Thats the kind of stuff I expect hearing on the espn boards and a big reason I dont go there anymore. If you cant come up with a less dumb post than this then pls just shut up.

Don Cherry wannabe...

For those who are saying trade koivu and kovalev, you guys are idiots. Koivu is our Captain and stuck with the blue blanc rouge for many years throught thick and thin. Hes our captain and not only a great leader on the ice, but off the ice as well. Hes given soo much back to montreal on AND off the ice, and i will never forget the game he showed up while going through chemo treatments, and still made the effort to show his desire, and dedication to the team. Yeah over the years hes been a little unlucky with injuries and whatnot, but you cant say trade the guy because his contract is running out and hes not having the best season of his life. Look at Marty Brodeur, he struggled at the beginning of the year and trade speculation was all over him. What did he do? Got a buncha shutouts and brought the devils back into playoff contention and just signed a fat contract today. You have to be patient with vetran players that lead your team, they'll come around, you cant just ship out the heart of your team. Kovalev when hes on his game can be one of the best players in the NHL guarenteed. He can make rookies get sent down to the minors, and embarass vet. defencemen(chara). These guys both want to be here, and still work hard game in and game out. There not the guys you might want to be looking at to trade. Try Komiserek, Theo, Ribs...

And thats the lamest Ive ever heard. Thats the kind of stuff I expect hearing on the espn boards and a big reason I dont go there anymore. If you cant come up with a less dumb post than this then pls just shut up.

Don Cherry wannabe...

You aren't Canadian. Maybe after the Olympics you will understand. But probably not. All Canadians know what I am talking about .

You aren't Canadian. Maybe after the Olympics you will understand. But probably not. All Canadians know what I am talking about .

I'm Canadian, and don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of Canadians on the team without heart (Ribeiro anyone?). Heart isn't something that has a national boundary attached to it. You definitely sound like a Don Cherry type - and one of him is already too much.

Komi is a good guy dont get me wrong, but hes gotta work on his skating ability. Hes soo slow and gets beat bad from time to time. Alot of players just step right around him, and his plus/minus continues to falter. On pace for -19 by the end of the season, i find this former #1 pick, 7th overall just needs to step it up, or hes gonna be apart of a deal we might regret....

I'm Canadian, and don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of Canadians on the team without heart (Ribeiro anyone?). Heart isn't something that has a national boundary attached to it. You definitely sound like a Don Cherry type - and one of him is already too much.

Jees you guys half read statements. I said simply that when it comes to hockey we have more heart. It is our game and we are all raised with that belief, in our hearts. To deny that belief, you are either an immigrant, later life so you didn't grow up here as a Canadian, not that that makes you less Canadian, but the belief wouldn't have been instilled, or you are a pansy bleeding heart that wants to be politically correct no matter what the facts say.

Jees you guys half read statements. I said simply that when it comes to hockey we have more heart. It is our game and we are all raised with that belief, in our hearts. To deny that belief, you are either an immigrant, later life so you didn't grow up here as a Canadian, not that that makes you less Canadian, but the belief wouldn't have been instilled, or you are a pansy bleeding heart that wants to be politically correct no matter what the facts say.

Dude Your digging yourself even deeper!!! Please refrain from anymore comments on citizinship, race or canadian values because either your a 15 year old that has alot to learn still or your one prime example of adult ignorance alla Harper! Somehow I know what your getting at but your arguments are the worse choice possible!

Edited by CoRvInA

Explain how this years Canadian Jrs won?

Enough said?

C'mon

And how come you hippocrites will get on me for mentioning nation and yet it is okay to make sexual orientation comments on here?

I am not the 15 yr old, or hippoctical, I am Canadian, opinionated, at times very contriversial. That is true but you guys will jump on any part of what someone was to get off topic. Where is the heart and desire in our first line? Would we not be a better team with Lecavlier and Richards on the first line? Kovalev is great "when " he gives his all, which should be night in night out, every shift. Koivu can also be great and is one of my all time favorite Habs. The problem is they aren't being very productive and 3 years ago we said the same about our 1st line, oh if only we could get a Kovelev. We did, it aint working, maybe it is the 1st line center?

It is something, leadership?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I'm Canadian and don't know what your saying....you should probably just keep your mouth shut.

Sundin, Forsberg, Ovechkin are just a few of the guys who have more heart than atleast 2 Canadiens, Canadian players I can think of ie., Ribeiro and Dandenault.

Why don't you take the heartless European talk elsewhere

Koivu has never been able to put a full year out there where he has led a team to the playoffs. Since he became captain the habs have sputtered along. Koivu is great in a 7 game series but dont expect a full season out of him. I think his height and weight play a big factor in this. I have never considered him a first line center.

As for Kovalev, he was playing great before the surgery. Despite all his claims that he recovers quickly maybe his knee wont be healthy till next year. Kovy has proven with Pittsburgh he can put a whole season together. However, that was about the only season he really had outstanding stats.

Edited by Strummerman

Explain how this years Canadian Jrs won?

Enough said?

C'mon

And how come you hippocrites will get on me for mentioning nation and yet it is okay to make sexual orientation comments on here?

I am not the 15 yr old, or hippoctical, I am Canadian, opinionated, at times very contriversial. That is true but you guys will jump on any part of what someone was to get off topic. Where is the heart and desire in our first line? Would we not be a better team with Lecavlier and Richards on the first line? Kovalev is great "when " he gives his all, which should be night in night out, every shift. Koivu can also be great and is one of my all time favorite Habs. The problem is they aren't being very productive and 3 years ago we said the same about our 1st line, oh if only we could get a Kovelev. We did, it aint working, maybe it is the 1st line center?

It is something, leadership?

Good back to hockey... Now if I were More Quebec friendly (which is where I grew up in) I would say better yet LeCavalier and St Louis would play play better ( than your richards) cause They are Quebequois and Not just Canadian and they would play to their outmost as a Habs member more than any other Anglo would ever!.. But that wont hold true either! Dagenais had heart, Ribeiro supposedly has heart and they didnt or dont give their best! What about Ovechkin? your gonna tell me he aint playing with heart...he's playing on one of the most crappy teams in the league...you could argue he'll play like that until he gets a contract that assures him at least 5 mil a year then he'll play when he feels like it.

I truely believe like I've said countless times before It aint that Black or white... No its freekin GREY! and YEs its a dull Colour and yes its in between but get over it ITS just how life is... and how intricate multi-variable and multi-criteria systems work! there are many more things that we ignore that are at play We mortals can only juggle with speculation like what Im writing about now!

Yes Maybe Gainey was sleeping with everyones wife while they were watching a movie!

YEs maybe the Begin Kovalev incident sparked a recentment in Kovalev attitude regarding the rest of the team! maybe Koivu is sick again! And yes Maybe Gainey would love just to have a full Canadian Roster! but he cant it wont happen there are more things in play if it were that easy or true... dont you think he would have done so?