Cassels Put On Waivers

johnnyhasbeen

"We have our antennae up. We picked up Aaron Downey on waivers; we've brought some guys up from the minors and we'll listen to any teams that want to talk to us about trades. In the position we're in, we're open to any possibilities." -Bob Gainey, Montreal Gazette, 28/01/2006

Andrew Cassels has been placed on waivers by the washington Capitals.

He could be a good pick up for us for a few reasons.

He might actually solve our 2nd line issues; He isn't big at 5'11" 190ish but his effort is there and he is more of a playmaker.

This would also free up Ribs to be traded for almost anything without losing any real scoring from the teamwhile only increasing the payroll by $300,000 or so. [Cassels makes $1.5M this season but more then half has been paid already]

Any thoughts?

he can't make the caps but he could help us? he was a solid defensive centre in his day but that day has probably gone by. Like so many other 35+ players he is on his way out

Andrew Cassels has been placed on waivers by the washington Capitals.

He could be a good pick up for us for a few reasons.

He might actually solve our 2nd line issues; He isn't big at 5'11" 190ish but his effort is there and he is more of a playmaker.

This would also free up Ribs to be traded for almost anything without losing any real scoring from the teamwhile only increasing the payroll by $300,000 or so. [Cassels makes $1.5M this season but more then half has been paid already]

Any thoughts?

I'll go with a big fat NO...He doesn't add anything new and I'm perfectly happy with having Plex / Bonk as our 2nd and 3rd line centers. Plus Cassels isn't very fast and has shown difficulty in the new NHL.

The Blue Jackets let him walk for nothing, and didn't even try to sign him.

The Caps played him at center on the Ovechkin line for quite a bit before demoting him to the lower lines and finally waiving him. He couldn't produce with Alexander Frickin' Ovechkin.

See a trend here? He obviously is not the player he used to be.

The Blue Jackets let him walk for nothing, and didn't even try to sign him.

The Caps played him at center on the Ovechkin line for quite a bit before demoting him to the lower lines and finally waiving him. He couldn't produce with Alexander Frickin' Ovechkin.

See a trend here? He obviously is not the player he used to be.

ditto

How come whenever anyone's waived some fans think that the player actually has talent? Cassels doesn't. Couldn't even score points alongside Ovechkin. Really gonna do well alongside Zednik..

Not ALL waived players are talentless hacks. Just look at Kristian Huselius. Stuck in a 3rd line role in Florida, Kristian was waived earlier this season. Claimed by Calgary, he has averaged a point a game with his new team, and is good enough to play on the first line with Iginla.

Of course, Andrew Cassels is not Kristian Huselius.

Not ALL waived players are talentless hacks.

True. I know a Montréal goalie that got waived a couple of years ago. There were no takers so he showed his skill in Hamilton. Think he's now playing in California. Galon? Garçon?

Edited by mathieu30

True. I know a Montréal goalie that got waived a couple of years ago. There were no takers so he showed his skill in Hamilton. Think he's playing now in California. Galon? Garçon?

I think I've heard of him, not sure ;)

Fanpuck proves a great point, if you can't produce with Ovenchkin then you obviously suck.

On a side note, what the hell happend to Jeff Friezen? Didn't he get traded to Washington? I never see him plat a freakin' game for the Caps.

On a side note, what the hell happend to Jeff Friezen? Didn't he get traded to Washington? I never see him plat a freakin' game for the Caps.

He missed most of November and December with an injury, but played most of January. Averages about 14 minutes a game, but only has 1 goal and 2 assists on the season.