Preds Aquire Sillinger

JMMR

Canadian Press

1/29/2006 11:31:55 PM

NASHVILLE (CP) - The Nashville Predators acquired journeyman centre Mike Sillinger from the St. Louis Blues for forward Timofei Shishkanov on Sunday.

Sillinger, 34, led the Blues in goals, including a team-high 11 power play markers, and ranked second on the club with 41 points in 48 games.

The Regina, Sask. native also led St. Louis and ranks among NHL leaders with a face-off winning percentage of 55.3 per cent.

"Mike Sillinger is a battle-tested veteran who will help us both offensively and defensively," said Executive Vice President and General Manager David Poile in a statement.

"He is an all-purpose forward who can play in any situation and can play centre or on the wing. He also gives us a top right-handed face-off man to complement Yanic Perreault."

Nashville will be the 11th NHL team for Sillinger, who has 439 points in 877 career games over 15 NHL seasons.

Will the Preds be this seasons Bolts and provide a first Stanley Cup for this Wiley veteran?

This guy had a right-handed shot, which Montreal is in desperate need of up front. But I believe he is not Montreal's type of player.

On another note I believe this makes the Preds a much more dangerous team in the playoffs purely for the reason that Sillinger plays with his heart on his sleeve and will do anything to win.

According to Spector, Mike Sillinger has been traded to the Preds for a second round bust. Where on earth was Gainey? Sillinger is a great player and he scoring! and the Preds got him for a second round bust? (so far)

Man, if Gainey didn't land Sillinger then I hope he has a surpise for us. A good one.

I would not get that excited. he has 22 goals which is the most he has ever had he is good on the faceoff but he is -17. We could have kept perrault cause they are the same. Apparently bob has a different plan.

Sillinger is a defensive oriented guy who wins faceoffs. Which is why it's so surprising that he has 22 goals. Having a career year really.

Perreault has always been offense oriented.

Oh, and he's -17 because he's playing on the worst team in the league. Obviously his plus minus would be bad with the Blues..

Preds now have 2 of the top face-off men in the league. Blues should have pushed for a 2nd or 3rd rounder instead of for Shishkanov. With these past two deals, I don't have uch faith that Pleau will ever take the Blues out of their dark days.

Sillinger is a defensive oriented guy who wins faceoffs. Which is why it's so surprising that he has 22 goals. Having a career year really.

Perreault has always been offense oriented.

Oh, and he's -17 because he's playing on the worst team in the league. Obviously his plus minus would be bad with the Blues..

have you checked your facts? try these

sillinger 877 games 188 goals 251 assts 439 points -181

perrault 722 games 214 goals 230 assts 444 points -20

and perrault is 500,000 per versus 1 million for sillinger I go back to what I said keeping perrault would have made more sense defensively and offensively

just thought you might like to know

You think Perreault is better defensively? Come on. You're right Sillinger's plus minus is atrocious, but that is not the definitive stat relating relating to defensive play.

Offensively Perreault is better no question.

You think Perreault is better defensively? Come on. You're right Sillinger's plus minus is atrocious, but that is not the definitive stat relating relating to defensive play.

Offensively Perreault is better no question.

which part of these stats did you not understand? he's better defense wise +- (and over that many games yeah it means something) and offense wise and he's 500 grand cheaper. my point is if that is what bob wanted he w ould have just kept perrault. how can you possibly argue that?

Do you recall how Yanic Perreault played at all? That is exactly what I can't understand. To suggest he was a good defensive player is ridiculous..

And Gainey made the decision to get rid of Yanic -- was the right move. No one could've predicted Ribs' struggles.

Edited by smon

and you want to bring in Sillinger?-181 and HE'S defensive give me a break!

he is having a good year as I said but i would still take perrault over him at 1/2 the price in a heart beat however MY point was that is not the type of player that bob wants and i agree

Yeah I agree Sillinger is not what the Habs need...where in the thread did i say that he is??

All I said was that Perreault is weaker defensively, 'tis all. And you start assuming that I want Sillinger to be a habs.

my original reply was to habs88 who definitely thought gainey should have picked up sillinger since you were defending that position I assumed you agreed that he should be here. Sorry about that. I don't want either of them but of the 2 perrault is the better bet cheaper and more offence and one of the best faceoff guys in the league for years and i did not think he was that bad defensivly. But what do I know I thought Brisebois was ok just overpaid.