Habs Interested In Richards, Kubina?

habsfan88

The Montreal Canadiens are also supposedly interested in both Richards and Kubina. Habs GM Bob Gainey has expressed an interest in making a change to his roster and is supposedly in the market for both a center and a top-two defenseman.

This is according to The Fourth Period. Some of you people choose not to believe this stuff, and that's fine but I find that TFP is reliable rumour site and isn't like the "HockeyTradeRumours.com" crap.

I'd definitely go for Richards.

:hlogo:

Edited by habsfan88

Richards and Kubina both excellent players.

Will the end up Habs I would have to believe not but it is a possibility. I would rather Montreal acquire Lang or Arnott.

Kubina is big and can move the puck and opposition forwards from the front of the net. But I would have to agree with ch nl what team would not want Richards.

the UFA factor is what will probably keep richard's trade value down (relatively). I don't think it would cost quite as much as what ch_nl put down and it might be worth it.

I, for one, would not mind having Kubina around at all.... would really upgrade the corps IMO

Brad Richards would be great but it would cost a lot. A top prospect, Zednik, Koivu and a defenceman?

Why would the habs trade 4 players for Richards?Sounds stupid to me. Hes a really good player dont get me wrong but when you give up the core of your team by giving away koivu, zeddy a defencemen n a prospect, your just making room for AHL guys to play on an NHL team driving to make the playoffs.

Richards is a restricted free agent this summer.

Yes, that is why there are trade rumours. Richards will apparently demand the most money you can under this new NHL cap so the Lightning want to get rid of him by March 9th because with St. Louis and Lecavalier's contracts as they stand, they will not be able to afford it.

[Richards will apparently demand the most money you can under this new NHL cap so the Lightning want to get rid of him by March 9th because with St. Louis and Lecavalier's contracts as they stand, they will not be able to afford it.

Dumb move by the Lightning - Richards is the best of the three, night in, night out.

He's also still young, so if it took surrendering a top prospect to get him, I'd do that.

Is it possible that the Lightning are interested in Koivu? He'd make an ideal 2nd-line centre for them...cheaper than Richards, too. Interesting.

If I recall correctly, this very same rumour was talked about during the preseason. Wasn't it Theodore, Ribero and a young defenceman for Richards and Kubina. This rumour surfaced after Tampa signed Levalier and St. Louis to big, long term contracts and pushed their team to the cap limit. With the cap set to go up by a couple of million per team next season I suspect the Bolts can now afford Richards, but not Kubina. This brings me to Bob Gainey's comments last week about the Canadiens hoping to get a top defenceman who can play 20-22 minutes a game. Kubina certainly fits that bill. Also, I've read (Spector) that Tampa hopes to reaquire Cullimore from Chicago. He signed with the Hawks as a free agent in the off season. As for who the Habs would give up to get Kubina, I have not given that much thought. I know we have the prospects and current roster players to swing that deal, but I don't think we have enough kids in the cupboard to get Richards, too. Kubina's contract status could add to speculation, as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he an unrestricted free agent this summer?

IT would seem that Theodore would have to be involved in this deal as Tampa is looking for a number 1 goalie and not happy with Sean Burke and John Grahme, although Burke has been playing well as of late. Infact the whole team is starting to roll, so I doubt Tampa would want to trade anyone, least of all their best player and mess with the chemistry.

With the salary cap increasing, and both Lecavalier and St. Louis taking slightly less then they could have gotten elsewhere, Richards will probably sign for a little less than he is worth on the open market to continue what they have going in Tampa. They can probably get Biron from Buffalo or Fernandez from Minnesota at the deadline for prospects or draft picks if they decide they need a goalie.

I definitley do not see RIchards leaving Tampa. Big mistake if he does. Better off getting rid of St. Louis.

Weight is gone to Carolina... fairly big trade... 3 players.. 3 draft picks for him

- Carolina's first-round pick in 2006.

- Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.

- Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.

- Tough guy forward Jesse Boulerice, a 27-year-old eighth-year pro

- Forward Mike Zigomanis, a 25-year-old fifth-year pro

- Magnus Kahnberg, 25, an unsigned Carolina draftee from Sweden who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1

*courtesy of TSN.ca

Edited by newf

Not a bad deal for Carolina, except for the 1st round pick, but it'll be a late one.

Weight will look good on a line with Eric Cole.

Wonder if this will start some kinda of Arms race in the East with Tampa Bay, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, and the New York clubs?

So basically Weight for a first rounder. The rest is just filler.

Carolina,s 1st pick will be late this year, but that Toronto pick they also got in the deal could and hopefully will be very early. That is if Toronto's season continues on it's current, natural, path. :lol:

Sorry, that is a 4th rounder, my mistake lol

Guess we get that 1st shot at thge new lineup.

Hopefully we fair well

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Although I don't think neither of Richards and Kubina will come here, they're exactly what we need....it would be awesome.

No problem involving Theo is this deal....

Richards almost as to go or they will have weaknesses to prevent them from being a winner. They invested a lot of money for a long time in Lecavalier and St-Louis, they are already close to the cap and they need help in net and at D. Next year, if they put everything into Richards, they will lose Kubina which they can't afford (weak at D) and won't be able to get a good goalie. As much as it hurts them, I think that they are better trading him and upgrading D and goalie. Koivu would be perfect for them. Good 2nd line center cheaper then Richards.

Ain't going to hapen but I can't help but dream of a Theo, Koivu, Souray and cash(paying part of contract this year) for Richards, Kubina and Grahame deal....drop Grahame this summer (trade for whatever or don't sign, contract is up after this year). Sign a good UFA goalie (ex: Fernandez) and we are almost set.

If only I wasn't dreaming :blush:

Those were complete BS > it turned out that some guy posted an article on HTR sourcing a CBC radio affiliate from Bonavista Newfoundland, claimed that Hainsey and Ryder were dealt for Richards.

Only problem was that the radio channel (700-something) was actually from St-John's.