Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006

Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007

Jesse Boulerice

Mike Zigomanis

Magnus Kahnberg

for

Doug Weight

Erkki Rajamaki

Decent but I think the Blues could've found more if they dealt with the Sens or the Flames. The three guys aren't projected to be much and that'll be a really low 1st round pick. Although with the Sillinger deal, it's obvious the Blues are just cutting salary instead of looking for future talent. This franchise is in trouble for the next few years.

The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired Doug Weight and 27-year-old Finnish forward Erkki Rajamaki from the St. Louis Blues.

To St-LOUIS:

- Carolina's first-round pick in 2006.

- Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.

- Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.

- Tough guy forward Jesse Boulerice, a 27-year-old eighth-year pro

- Forward Mike Zigomanis, a 25-year-old fifth-year pro

- Magnus Kahnberg, 25, an unsigned Carolina draftee from Sweden who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1

EDIT: Heh, one minute too late..

Anyways, I guess this was the best deal out there.

Edited by smon

The Blues should have gotten atleast one quality player/prospect in this instead of the 4ths and load of usuless players. Boulerice? Who needs a second-rate enforcer? The first rounder is definitely a step in the righ tdirection though. And Weight is way overpaid (5.7M) so his value goes down.

tsn sez carolina picked up weight for some draft picks. I think they just got a lot better and it di d not cost them much in player value but maybe in future value. i wonder how they are doing under the cap now anybody?

The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired Doug Weight and 27-year-old Finnish forward Erkki Rajamaki from the St. Louis Blues.

In exchange, Carolina gave to the Blues three draft picks and three players. The package includes:

- Magnus Kahnberg, 25, an unsigned Carolina draftee from Sweden who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1

Weight is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. At this point in time, Weight is considered by both the Hurricanes and himself to be a "rental" for the balance of this season.

Related Info

* Predators acquire Sillinger from Blues

Although the Weight trade is not related to the ongoing ownership issues with the Blues, sources tell TSN it finally looks as though the franchise will be sold to a group headed by former New York Ranger executive Dave Checketts, who has been in on-again, off-again negotiations to buy the team for months now.

Sources say the deal was supposed to be finalized over the weekend, but that did not happen. Whether it's just a minor delay or yet another snag that could cause problems remains to be seen, but the sense is that Checketts' group will be able to close the deal to purchase the franchise

Weight, 35, is the Blues' leading scorer with 44 points in 47 games this season. A productive offensive centre throughout his career, Weight will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He's earning $5.7-million this year.

In 960 career games with the Blues, Oilers and Rangers, Weight has 235 goals and 637 assists for 872 points, adding 55 points in 68 career playoff games.

Boulerice, an enforcer, has zero points and 51 penalty minutes in 26 games this year. He has 10 points and 291 penalty minutes in 153 career games with the Flyers and Hurricanes. He's earning $501,600 this year.

Zigomanis has not been able to stick with the Hurricanes this year and has one goal in 21 NHL games, while putting up 13 points in 11 games with the Lowell Lock Monsters of the AHL. He has seven points in 57 career NHL games and makes $450,000.

Kahnberg, a 6-foot-2, 192-pound winger, is playing for Vastra Frolunda in Sweden He was a seventh round pick of the Hurricanes in 2000 and has 14 goals and 25 points in 37 games this season.

Rajamaki was reassigned on December 20 from Peoria in the AHL to the Espoo Blues in Finland, where he has two points and 65 penalty minutes in 12 games.

In exchange, Carolina gave to the Blues three draft picks and three players. The package includes:

- Magnus Kahnberg, 25, an unsigned Carolina draftee from Sweden who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1....

As a Habs fan ya gotta love the fact that the Leafs stupidity when it comes to trades has played a role in helping make the Canes an even better cup contender this year.....

:king: :P

Now here is a team that had only won 28 games in its last season and an absolute lowly 22

in its previous one while losing O'Neil, Sean Hill and Ron Francis in the meantime. How can the

Hurricane be leading the league already ? How have they become so soon poised to contend

for the Cup ? There is only one way to go from bottom to top in such short time,....lets call it

the Jim Rutherford's way for now. This GM made 4 trades and signed 5 UFA to made it all possible,...yet

managed it all within an unprivileged spending status that capped 28 millions before the latest trade,...

quite amazing !

they really did a hell of job in the new nhl. and good for them maybe the league can salvage that sad sack franchise or mickey as it was once referred to. I want our team to do as good no sorry better much better!!

maybe the league can salvage that sad sack franchise or mickey as it was once referred to.

Actually, it was the Devils that were referred to as " a Mickey Mouse organization" by no less a hockey icon than #99.

I certainly agree with the second half of your post. But the FA market is a fickle one. Look at Chicago. They signed Acuoin and Khabibulin to big contracts in order to beat out a half-dozen other interested teams. Everyone thought that they would be improved--maybe not Cup contenders, but not terrible. What happened? Both players played well below expectations and both got hurt. Now the Hawks are stuck with two big contracts unless the players come back and play well enough to interest another team.

Edited by PMAC

That's a real real bad trade if you ask me.

Blues should have been more patient.

Having Weight and Sillinger off the books makes the Blues team an easier sell, which is what the Blues ownership wants right now.

Well the Blues are 1-0 after trading their top two players.

St. Louis will miss the playoffs for the first time in franchise history I believe if not that than at least 30 some odd years.

It is never a bad trade when you trade an aging player and an unknown fin and get 3 draft picks in return.

Hey HABSRULE you most shurely under-estimate the true quantum leap in performance this

team has been able to acheived. They have as many points today as they did at the end of

their last season........and they still have 33 more games to play.....while they won 13 of their last 15

games and Weight asn't play a single game yet. I dont get how you would want your team to

do Much Better than that.....it doesn't make any sens to me.

The Canes are great and play very well together and are nothing less then dominate at home. To beat this team you cannot take penalty’s they always score when it matters most on the PP. Their work ethic is uncanny every line works every shift every night and it starts with their Captain Rod the Bod. Not to mention their excellent goaltending thus far.

The Canes really should be a model franchise as of now for Montreal. Likewise with the Sabres..

You know, with the right breaks Montreal could have been in the position of Carolina and Buffalo right now. Our first quarter certainly was misleading..

Hey HABSRULE you most shurely under-estimate the true quantum leap in performance this

team has been able to acheived. They have as many points today as they did at the end of

their last season........and they still have 33 more games to play.....while they won 13 of their last 15

games and Weight asn't play a single game yet. I dont get how you would want your team to

do Much Better than that.....it doesn't make any sens to me.

winning a cup would be better! what is your point? :?-

Carolina's first-round pick in 2006.

Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006

Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007

Jesse Boulerice

Mike Zigomanis

Magnus Kahnberg

for

Doug Weight

Erkki Rajamaki

Decent but I think the Blues could've found more if they dealt with the Sens or the Flames. The three guys aren't projected to be much and that'll be a really low 1st round pick. Although with the Sillinger deal, it's obvious the Blues are just cutting salary instead of looking for future talent. This franchise is in trouble for the next few years.

Lots of blues fans would disagree with you here as I've talked to a few. Doug Weight is a UFA at the end of the season and would most likely leave giving the organization nothing. Rather than get nothing, they got a 1st rounder(still a 1st rounder), two 4th rounders, two depth players, and Kahnberg who still has potential. He's worth the risk. Also, this was done because of ownership. The team is trying to be sold so instead of just throwing money away seeing how the season is done for the team, clear the salaries. Buyer's would be more interested then.

The key to this deal was the 1st rounder. That's what St.Louis was looking for and they got it. I also feel Kahnberg is very underrated seeing how he is already 25. This guy can still come over and be a pretty good player for the Blues if they can sign him.

I guess my point is that in order to win the Cup your team must be a very good team first,... it is

hard for me not to idealised the Hurricane as a model,...because they where able to get their

team to jump from being not very good to being an excellent team from one season to the very next one,....

by-passing the intermediate stages in between.

Teams have to reach that point of excellence before being true contender,....with a little luck and with

a GM in good form,...they, like the Hurricane, can burn a few stages while getting there...and this is the best

thing I would hope to see hapenning to the CH.