Game Thread | Hurricanes Vs. Canadiens | 01/31/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did rebeiro really get a mohawk......sorry but I think that's cool....He will do well tonight if he gets a chance on 1st or 2nd line.

I'm telling you, Ribs needs to get his hair cut!

Want proof?

Ribeiro cuts off ponytail, then plays like a horse

When the Rouyn-Noanda Huskies selected center Mike Ribeiro with the third overall pick at this year's midget draft, coach Gaston Therrien didn't like what he saw.

At 5-foot-10 and 145 pounds, with long hair in a ponytail and sporting an earring, Ribeiro looked more like a rock star than a hockey player. Therrien definitely wasn't impressed.

"He said it would be better if I changed my look before I arrived for training camp, so I did," Ribeiro said. "It was no problem."

And now the freshly cropped kid has become the hottest act in the Quebec League. Seventeen games into the season, Ribeiro had yet to be held off the scoresheet and with 12 goals and 36 points was tied with Vincent Lecavalier (14-22-36) of the Rimouski Oceanic for the scoring lead.

"It's a bit of a surprise," said Ribeiro, who won the Quebec midget scoring title last season and was part of Canada's under-18 team that won the Tri-Nations Tournament last summer in the Czech Republic.

"I thought the jump (from midget to junior) would be more difficult, but it has been going pretty well so far."

That's an understatement. Ribeiro had a hand in 45 per cent of his team's goals and, along with left winger Pierre Dagenais, provided the Huskies with one of the best one-two punches in the league.

Dagenais, the New Jersey Devils' second round pick at the 1996 NHL entry draft, had 18 goals and 35 points and was working on a 14-game point streak of his own.

"He's a scorer and I'm a playmaker, so we work well together."

Cutting his hair and ditching the earring weren't the only changes Ribeiro made to his physical appearance. He's also lifting weights three times a week to add some strength and says he is now 5-foot-11 and 155 pounds. And he's definitely looking good to Therrien.

THN Nov. 17, 1997

Voila, send him to the hairdresser.

Edited by mathieu30

And what's up with emery and naked black men on his mask? ...........yuk

would you like naked white men better? :o:P

seriously..hopefully ribiero gets going. anything to win this one really. Montreal has to keep pace with the Leafs *shudder*. A win is desperately needed, would sure be nice if Theodore stays sharp and steals it..either way a win's a win.

Exactly Right. WEight will not be playing for the Hurricanes too. So the lines will look like this at least to start with.

Higgins Koivu Kovalev

Zhogs Plex Ryder

Zednik Bulis Sunny

Ribeiro Begin Downey

NOt happy about not having Ivanans in the lineup, but I guess the Hurricanes don't have much in terms of fighting and hopefully we will finally see Downey drop the gloves.

Those lines look really good. I would like to see Ivanans also on the 4th line, but you cant have it all. Higgins on the first, it's great. And that 2nd line isn't bad also. A sniper, a good playmaker(and good defender) and a scorer/creative player.

Hope Bulis his streak continues

Seeing how there seem to be different lineups on this posting, can anyone confirm that Ivanans is NOT playing tonight. If so, :puke:

Boulerice was indeed traded as part of the Weight deal, but to me that's all the more reason to have Downey and Ivan there- think of the pounding the 'canes would take as we send out our 4th line- Staal would probably jump back on his bench.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4695

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Hurricanes

MONTREAL – After a 10-day, six-game road trip during which they faced five division leaders, the Canadiens are back in the friendly confines of the Bell Centre for five of their next seven games before the Olympic break. Tonight, they welcome the league-leading Carolina Hurricanes, making their first visit to Montreal this season.

Saturday night in Toronto, the Canadiens closed the door on their grueling road trip, notching a 4-3 overtime win over the Maple Leafs. Saku Koivu secured the win for Montreal when he scored his second goal of the night, just over a minute into the extra frame.

Home ice has certainly been an advantage for Bob Gainey’s crew, who are 14-6-2 at the Bell Centre. They’ll look to extend their home winning streak to four, having posted victories over Ottawa, San Jose and Dallas.

Carolina, for its part, is taking its team name to heart. The Hurricanes have swept their way through the month of January, suffering just one loss (to the Capitals) in 13 games. Peter Laviolette and his squad arrive in Montreal riding a four-game winning streak.

Tonight’s contest is the third of the season between Montreal and Carolina. The Hurricanes taken the first two meetings, both played at the RBC Center in Raleigh. The Canadiens, meanwhile have beat the Canes in their last three visits to the Bell Centre, improving their all-time record to 50-17-7-1 against the Carolina/Hartford franchise.

One step at a time: After becoming just the sixth goaltender in Canadiens history to reach the 20,000-minute mark Saturday in Toronto, Jose Theodore is eyeing another franchise plateau. The 29-year-old backstop is just three wins shy of Michel Larocque for sixth place in all-time wins. Theodore kicked aside 21 shots against the Leafs for his 141st career win. He’ll look to inch up the ladder once again tonight, as he makes his 24th career start against Carolina, the most starts he’s had against any club.

Multi-points magic: Saku Koivu, who tallied his second game-winning goal of the season against the Maple Leafs, recorded his third three-point night of the campaign. It was the 10th time in 2005-06 that a Canadiens player has racked up at least three points in a game. Those contests have translated into success come game’s end, as the club has post an 8-1-1 record.

Bottom of the barrel to the top of the heap: Having finished the 2003-04 season at the bottom of the league in goals for, the Hurricanes are now second in the NHL with an average of 3.71 goals scored per game. Already stacked with plenty off offense, Peter Laviolette will now be able to count on veteran Doug Weight, acquired from the St. Louis Blues on Monday. Before heading east, Weight was the Blues’ scoring leader with 44 points in 37 games.

4695_1.jpg

Gonna be a barn burner tonight......these are my predictions

line up:

Ribeiro Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Plekanec Ryder

Zednik Bulis Sundstrom

Ivanans Perezhogin Downey

no one really cares who the D paring are

Theo

I think that zhogs will start on the 4th cuz he has no credibility right now.....but i do see hiim moving to the first with koivu and kovs after we are down 1 or 2 goals in the game.....stay with me here.... i think the first opportunity for zhogs is on the pp....where they have kovalev and souray/boullion on the point, then koivu ribeiro and perezhogin...and if perezhogin is not playing good there they will replace him with ryder.......i can see us with a late comeback win in the game.....1-1 after first.......3-1 after second for carolina......and a big 5-4 comeback win for the boys with zhogs playing on the first line in the 3rd period and getting at least a goal and an assist :D

Goals: koivu, kovalev, souray, perezhogin, plekanec

In reality this seems reasonable considering perezhogin knows what he can do and he will be pumped up so much for this game so he can prove himself again and solidify that spot on the first line :hlogo:

Does anyone know the nicknames for Bonk, Higgins, Markov & Bulis?

Little help?

On to tonights game. Ribeiro being on line 1 might throw Carolina off balance. At least I hope so. If he carries over the Toronto performance into tonight, it means we can roll 4 lines that can score. Very balanced lines.

It'll be interesting to see if Ribs sticks around on line 1 for a full 60 minutes.

Theodore has a chance to steal one too. Hopefully he won't have to. At least we're "HOME".

I hope we see Zednik do an about face and get back to basics.

The sweet truth underlying this team is they're only going to get better and it will happen soon.

GO HABS :hlogo:

Does anyone know the nicknames for Bonk, Higgins, Markov & Bulis?

Little help?

On to tonights game. Ribeiro being on line 1 might throw Carolina off balance. At least I hope so. If he carries over the Toronto performance into tonight, it means we can roll 4 lines that can score. Very balanced lines.

It'll be interesting to see if Ribs sticks around on line 1 for a full 60 minutes.

Theodore has a chance to steal one too. Hopefully he won't have to. At least we're "HOME".

I hope we see Zednik do an about face and get back to basics.

The sweet truth underlying this team is they're only going to get better and it will happen soon.

GO HABS :hlogo:

Bonk doesn't need one his name is priceless all on it's own...............######in' Bonk.....could you imagine growing up with that........He needs a bonk ....in the head............LOSER!

Ivanans is being scratched along with Mr. Bonkers

RDS reports that #21 Higgins is on the top duty perhaps a juggle or 2 (better yet 99) as always will happen but for sure the last period were gonna be playing with three lines as we did with TO

So fantasy lines remain fantasy

tonight it dont matter how the lines do... its how individually they can perform within a team mind frame that counts ... Zednik could play in the same line with Theo and Huet for all BG cares.... It's how he plays with the line and sticks to game plan that counts!!! and of course all wrapped up in a whole lot of 200% EFFORT

Go Habs Go.

I hope that they can keep improving from last game versus the leafs. Sitting Bonk and Zednik might be a good thing.

I expect the rookies, Kovalev, Koivu and Ryder to contribute up front. Bulis and Sunny solid at the third line. Some physics from Downey and Begin and the Habs have a chance. Maybe even Ribs can find his game...

Edited by ch_nl