Theodore Needs To Go!

justintb

I am Listening to the game right now on CJAD 800...sounds like the Habs are playing a very good game. But its time for Jose to LEAVE Montreal...you have 21,273 chanting for Huet after 2 goals...and 5 goals on 10 shots...IS RIDICULOUS. Manny Fernandez is looking VERY good right now in a trade...I would feel much more confident with him inbetween the pipes. Oh well...2nd period now...Lets hope we can fight back and with the hopes of winning this one in OT. Who thinks Theodores time is up??? Who's with me...who's not...and if your not with me on this...Id like 5 reasons why you wouldnt trade him.

GO :hlogo: GO!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly we can all say how hard it would be to trade theo right now because of his struggles but i would have already pulled the trigger even it was not full market value hes a cancer to this team right now and at the rate hes been letting in goals this year he should be in the minors but of course that wont happen so trade this guy NOW!!!!

I like Jose Theodore when he plays at the level he's capable of.

Unfortunly he hasn't done so... He was good versus the leafs but a starting goalie has to be good for 20 games and great in 50. Jose has not.

Claim Lalime and let there be competition. Having two starters, a great backup in Huet and a prospect in Danis is what I suggest.

If Lalime is the best at the game day practice then let him and Huet play. If Theodore is better then it's Theo and Huet.

I also think that this sollution would hurt the Habs the least. Imagine Theo being traded to the Avs for nothing. What would happen? The Avs would win the cup with Theodore in nets and later jersey 60 would be retired.

I dont like the sounds of Patrick Lalime....but I do like the sounds of Manny Fernandez! As we can all recall...Lalime was traded from ottawa for a reason....Struggles in the postseason....I think that if Fernandez comes to MTL..It would be a great addition if we can get rid of Theodore (who has no value right now as it is)...its one of those something for nothing trades that if the habs could pull off...we're suddenly a cup contender again...Because the offence is still there!...I'd also like to note that Perezhogin is playing great in a Habs jersey again...and am very impressed with Jan Bulis's play again.

We can't afford to trade Theodore. We'll get nothing for him and probably have to take some overpaid player to make up for his salary.

His problem is that he hasn't adjusted to the new rules. He may be struggling with his smaller pads and new glove but I don't think that is the problem. His problem is his positioning. He is often not in the right spot to cut down angles. This saps his confidence and leads him to drop to his knees constantly. I think he has not learned where to position himself since they moved the net back closer to the boards.

The good news is that this is something he can learn. I believe that given time (say by next year) he will have overcome this problem. This should boost his confidence and get him back to a being a top 5 goalie.

Trading him now is a complete waste. He still has a big upside. I do think Huet has been playing well enough for us to finish the season with Theodore playing backup. I am not sure if Theo is willing to return to being a backup but the way he has been playing he should be.

What about sending him to Hamilton to finish the season. Let him find his game, get used to his new equipment and the new rules against lesser competition. Honestly, I can't be mad at the guy anymore. I just feel really bad for him. He's gone from one of the great goalies in the game to one of the worst. The mental anguish must be almost unbearable. In the short term it just seems like the team is better off without him. I still hope he can be our long term solution, though. For right now, the Habs have a better chance to win with anyone else in goal. Sad, very sad.

Doesn't Theo have to clear waiver in order to be sent to Hamilton?

I don't think he would go unclaimed. There's to many teams with goaltending problems and it's a known fact that the pressure in Montreal makes bad look like hell.

If Theo goes, I'm pretty sure it would be Danis getting the most starts.

However, I doubt that we trade Theo at his lowest point. The return would not be very good.

Either way, I still think that Gainey will try and keep him around, in hope that his moral will somehow rise and he'll regain his form. But right now, his positioning is completely off.

Maybe a change is really what he needs though, the pressures of Montreal might just be too great right now. Especially with so many fans (such as ourselves) calling for his head.

i dunno, with his salary, he might go unclaimed... but no way he comes back up during the season unclaimed at 50/50.

I like Jose Theodore when he plays at the level he's capable of.

Unfortunly he hasn't done so... He was good versus the leafs but a starting goalie has to be good for 20 games and great in 50. Jose has not.

Claim Lalime and let there be competition. Having two starters, a great backup in Huet and a prospect in Danis is what I suggest.

If Lalime is the best at the game day practice then let him and Huet play. If Theodore is better then it's Theo and Huet.

I also think that this sollution would hurt the Habs the least. Imagine Theo being traded to the Avs for nothing. What would happen? The Avs would win the cup with Theodore in nets and later jersey 60 would be retired.

i guess we could theoretically carry three goalies, but that would mean having no reserves, no space for healthy scratches, etc... lalime, theo, and huet all have waiver protection.

Trading theo now is stupid.

Tell him to fake an injury and send him to hamilton, if he cant win there then trade him for zip because that is all you will recieve for him. He has a huge contract with plenty of time left on it.

Theodore is a bum...plain and simple. The guy repeatedly makes mental mistakes that result in bad goals...which in turn deflate the rest of the team and lead to blowouts like the one tonight. The Habs quit tonight, and with Theo playing the way he did, can you really blame them? Why knock yourself out when you know the goalie is going to lose you the game no matter how hard you play?

Trading THEO now is not stupid...It's probably the smartest thign that can be done. Those of you who still hold out hope that he will improve this year, are simply fooling yourselves. This has nothing to do with adjustments anymore, we are 50 games into the season and he has looked adequate (not good but adequate in what 10 games).

Don't get me wrong I wish him to succeed I am a Habs fan more than anything else, so if he can turn it aournd then great, but at this point, I am afraid of his value falling through the basement, I don't care what the return is in a trade, I just want his salary off the books. THere is a serious fear in my mind that Jose = Jim Carrey and in Cap world that's a disaster.

I think we have a much better shot at making the playoffs with Danis / Huet and can then sign a UFA goalie (like Fernandez, Biron, Garon etc..) in the offseason if Danis and Huet can do the job to get us to the post season.

Seriously though, this is dangerous to us being stuck with Theo at 5 MIllion per year for another 2 years. IT's time to cut the ties and let him flourish or flounder elsewhere. Enough is enough. BG needs to get whatever he can and move on.

No diff! We all know that the Theo era is now over lets get over this goalie and trade him! If we could though I wonder which team would be smart enough to accept a trade proposal looking at José's performance now. It sucks for the Habs that Theo isnt on his game if he was they would be where they are up in the standings like the start of the season.

No diff! We all know that the Theo era is now over lets get over this goalie and trade him! If we could though I wonder which team would be smart enough to accept a trade proposal looking at José's performance now. It sucks for the Habs that Theo isnt on his game if he was they would be where they are up in the standings like the start of the season.

I agree, but even the success at the beginning of the season was despite THEO and not because of him

I hate to say it but I've also given up on Théo. It can be a mind playing in Montréal and it's hit Théo so hard now he's struggling even on the road.

Back when Hackett was around Théo had to fight for the #1 spot and even then there are many who remember Jeff as the more consistent of the pair. But we wanted to believe Théo was the golden boy, he was young and local and had good-looks and a flashy style and so we let ourselves get carried away.

I'd say one of the worst things that happened to the Habs and yes even to Théo was the Vezina / Hart win in 2002, the voting if you recall generated the narrowest-ever wins for those trophies -- he beat Iginla and Roy both on tiebreakers. From that came the high expectations and then the high-priced contracts, and now we see the ugly mess when Théo comes crashing back to earth.

I don't blame Meehan, Théo or the Habs, everyone wanted to believe, the stakes were raised and it didn't work out and our season is going down the toilet.

Finally, I would say more Melanson is not what Théo needs now -- I hope over the Olympic break he tries hypnosis or meditates on a mountain in Nepal, because the more creative and radical his approach now the better chance he'll have of getting his head right, that's what he needs I think -- but, yeah, I've pretty well lost hope at this point.

Trade him at his current market value, what we lose in trade value we make up for in cap space to shop. Danis / Huet couldn't be worse than this current version of Jose, and I supported Theo his whole carreer. He has to go for his good and the teams. He will probably return to form in new surroundings. Too many games I have watched the team have the wind taken out of them by bad goals. It has too stop. The defence has some weakness but nothing like these results. Get a 2nd liner for him or a 3rd defence. Add the balance to the cap space for a big name player.