Theodore Needs To Go!

justintb

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't afford to trade Theodore. We'll get nothing for him and probably have to take some overpaid player to make up for his salary.

His problem is that he hasn't adjusted to the new rules. He may be struggling with his smaller pads and new glove but I don't think that is the problem. His problem is his positioning. He is often not in the right spot to cut down angles. This saps his confidence and leads him to drop to his knees constantly. I think he has not learned where to position himself since they moved the net back closer to the boards.

The good news is that this is something he can learn. I believe that given time (say by next year) he will have overcome this problem. This should boost his confidence and get him back to a being a top 5 goalie.

Trading him now is a complete waste. He still has a big upside. I do think Huet has been playing well enough for us to finish the season with Theodore playing backup. I am not sure if Theo is willing to return to being a backup but the way he has been playing he should be.

That is probably the most sensible comment I've read about Theodore so far. Buy low, sell high. Not the other way around. Theodore's market worth is at its lowest right now. Its the worse time to trade him.

The "what have you done for me lately" mentality is alright, but some are taking it to the extreme. And inversely some are putting too much stock on Huet. Being good as the #2 goalie in relief with nothing to lose is easy. Being good as the #1 goalie with all the pressure is a whole different game.

For now I'd only start Theodore on the road, to protect him from the Bell Centre crowd. Let him work through his slump. Being good in relief

That is probably the most sensible comment I've read about Theodore so far. Buy low, sell high. Not the other way around. Theodore's market worth is at its lowest right now. Its the worse time to trade him.

The "what have you done for me lately" mentality is alright, but some are taking it to the extreme. And inversely some are putting too much stock on Huet. Being good as the #2 goalie in relief with nothing to lose is easy. Being good as the #1 goalie with all the pressure is a whole different game.

For now I'd only start Theodore on the road, to protect him from the Bell Centre crowd. Let him work through his slump. Being good in relief

I agree. The same people--and not all on this board-- who are screaming for Theo to be traded NOW! when he is worth the proverbial bag of pucks will be the same ones bashing Bob next season for making such a bad trade when Theo bounces back to lead another team.

It's a shame we cant send him to Hamilton for a conditioning stint.

How can you say it's worth keeping him, when you won't even start your 5 Million dollar a year goalie at home, because you're afraid the he's going to get booed, most likely because he'll let in 5 goals on 10 shots in less than half a game.

Theo has always had the same weaknesses now but theyare now more apprarent than ever. HOw can many of you say that Huet / Danis isn't ready and yet you'd prefer to go with a Theo who has compiled one of the worst statistical years in recent NHL memory, all the while being paid in the top 5 of goalies.

I"m sorry, but at that price, I cannot risk him becomign untradeable. At this point if you package him with a Zednik or Zhogs and a pick you can still get a some decent return. The potential is his selling point, with every succesive game of brutality, his value drops more and more and people will not be willing to bite on his contract.

I think it's safe to say he will not be the goalie of the future in Motnreal, so the faster we can rid ourselves of him the faster we can move on, move up and make the playoffs.

That doesn't just go for THEO either, other underperforming vets should be dumped also, give the young guys playing experience, cap space in the summer and still fight for a playoff spot (b/c many things couldn't be worse than what we have now)

In all honesty, many fans showed more foresight that our GM Bob Gainey when they were calling for him to be traded way earlier in the season. Remember when he was mentioned in talks that would bring us Bertuzzi? Luongo? Those days seem long gone now, if only we had a GM with guts to make a move when we needed it, cause now its much too late, Theo's value is next to nothing.

That being said, I think we still need to trade him now cause he might fetch something in a trade, wait any longer, and our only option will be waivers.

A smart GM will learn from other leagues that work under a cap system. We could use cap space, so we can outbid other teams for Luongo, Richards, Arnott, etc. At this point, just get in return whatever you can, before its too late. Its time to send overpaid divas like Theo, Kovalev, Zednik, Bonk to pasture, and bring in hard-working Canadian kids. Twice I saw Kovalev give up on a play because he knew a penalty was going to be called, Zednik was guilty as well. I don't think a player on the current Calgary Flames would ever do something like that, Sutter would have none of it.

Well, a bit of a ramble, but now I feel better. Thank you.

~Dave

In all honesty, many fans showed more foresight that our GM Bob Gainey when they were calling for him to be traded way earlier in the season. Remember when he was mentioned in talks that would bring us Bertuzzi? Luongo? Those days seem long gone now, if only we had a GM with guts to make a move when we needed it, cause now its much too late, Theo's value is next to nothing.

That being said, I think we still need to trade him now cause he might fetch something in a trade, wait any longer, and our only option will be waivers.

A smart GM will learn from other leagues that work under a cap system. We could use cap space, so we can outbid other teams for Luongo, Richards, Arnott, etc. At this point, just get in return whatever you can, before its too late. Its time to send overpaid divas like Theo, Kovalev, Zednik, Bonk to pasture, and bring in hard-working Canadian kids. Twice I saw Kovalev give up on a play because he knew a penalty was going to be called, Zednik was guilty as well. I don't think a player on the current Calgary Flames would ever do something like that, Sutter would have none of it.

Well, a bit of a ramble, but now I feel better. Thank you.

Hindsight is 20/20 Dave. I think all of us knew that Theo wasnt perfect and that he was streaky. I dont think anyone could honestly say they predicted a meltdown of this magnitude.

if the Habs arent sending Theo to a sports psychologist yet, they should be.

BTW: in case you havent noticed, its almost impossible to trade highly paid veterans and get anything near market value. This is especially true if your team is struggling- its like blood in the water for a shark.

I have to give up my hope in him too... Maybe this is why we drafted Price. Some people used to refer to Theo as Jim Carey 2 and maybe they were right. Didnt washington get a good trade for him when they sent him away to Boston?

This guy is not cancer. He's just struggling. Give up the trade Theodore talk. HE isn't going anywhere, especially right now while he's struggling. Who in their right mind would give up anything half decent for Theodore, while he's playing the way he is right now? Except maybe "Mad" Mike Milbury, but he currently isn't a GM anymore. And why give Theodore away for free right now, when he'll start playing better and we'd have lost him for nothing.

Give the guy a ######in break. He carried this shitty team for years. Now he's struggling and everybody jumps off the Theodore bandwagon. His struggles just show how week this team is.

I'm sure some GMs are willing to trade for Theo. When we are interested in a player struggling, we say that a change would do him some good and would come back like he use to, well same goes with other teams and Theo.

We were willing to get Bertuzzi when he was struggling. Anyways, it makes me laugh when you guys say that we would be getting nothing in return....no we would not be getting as much as we could of had earlier this season, but we sure can get something good in return.

The important thing is to get rid of him and free up the cap space. He's a cancer on this team.

There's french show here in Mtl called "Dans ma caméra", and basically the camera and reprter follow him for a day and the guy is just a spoiled coky prick....should have heard the comments he said....time to go Theo!!!!!

He cares more about his image then hockey. Habs fans who are still defending Theo it's time to get back to reality...he's done in Mtl.

I was listening to the end of the first and the entire second period on CJAD too. First, I thought it was great that the Bell Centre was calling for Huet. Then, I thought, imagine how Theodore feels. Not only is he booing booed by his opwn fans, but they cheer when he's taken out of the game. I think that the fans might be destroying Theo just like they did to Brisebois.

For what it's worth, my vote goes with the camp that says DO NOT trade Theo. We've all seen that he can play much better than this, and he will - uh, one day. I can't agree with those who think we can get something of value - Lalime was sent down without difficulty. Cap space would not be gained, as we would undoubtedly have to take on another overpriced, underperforming player in return (few, if any, teams have enough cap space to take Theodore on outright, for picks as an example).

Having said all that, the reality is we're fighting for a playoff spot. Nail his ass to the bench until he can work out his issues.

Théodore should be traded. Even though we wouldn't get much in return

personally, I'd like to see a 1st round pick...at least.

the move would be good for both parties, I mean, the guy needs to get out of montreal.

as for the habs, whatever they get back would help us and we would save some cap room

Of course the Fans will jeer Theo. He has played awful that is what happenes in Montreal it is the Canadian Philadelphia. If you are not winning you get booed plain and simple.

I have to give up my hope in him too... Maybe this is why we drafted Price. Some people used to refer to Theo as Jim Carey 2 and maybe they were right. Didnt washington get a good trade for him when they sent him away to Boston?

Nope it was a bad trade

To Boston Jim Carey, Anson Carter, Jason Allison and Washington's 3rd round choice (Lee Goren)

Traded to Washington Oates Ranford Tocchet .

Once the fans start on a player it is all over.

That's exactly it! The minute fans get all over a player, every minor thing he does will get blown out of proportion. I'm not saying Theo's recent struggles are minor, but every bad rebound, etc will be scrutinized by fans, media and everyone else until something happens. It happened to Brisebois, it happened to Damphousse when he stopped producing (not as evident as Breezy and Theo, though) and it is happening to Theo. My last faith for the team and Theo is the Olympic break. If it does not pay dividends then I'll lose hope. These back to back games vs. the Bruins will be huge! Habs seem to respond to playoff-type atmospheres (Saturday night, '02 and '04 1st rounds), so Thursday and Saturday WILL HAVE playoff implications.

I'd accept only two trades for Theo at this precise moment, and I don't know how realistic they would be at this precise moment. Without these trades, I'd show more patience:

To Edmonton: Theo and Bulis (and mid-round pick) for Torres, Staios, Conklin

To Lightning: Theo for Richards (and perhaps other elements involved)

That edmonton trade is brutal.

No way the habs should trade Buli even if there is a possibility it helps unload Theo.

That Lightning deal would only go through if the Habs could sign richards to a multi year deal.

Once the fans start on a player it is all over.

That might be the most defining truth I have read in this thread.

Ask Roy, without the fans backing you.....it is impossible to stay and improve [especially the harsh fans in Montreal]

That edmonton trade is brutal.

No way the habs should trade Buli even if there is a possibility it helps unload Theo.

That Lightning deal would only go through if the Habs could sign richards to a multi year deal.

I'd try to do it without Bulis, but I doubt Edmonton would bite. They are thin in forwards (only carrying 12 on the roster) and I think they just lost Moreau for a few weeks, so if they are giving one up, they'll ask for one in return.

They should show him video of his early games.....I was at his first ever game against NJ in the playoffs, the kid was unbelievable! Then perhaps some of his better games (boston in the playoffs, etc...)

Remind him that he was once a great goalie, and there's no reason he can't do it again!

Then when he starts playing well....ship him out! :)

They should show him video of his early games.....I was at his first ever game against NJ in the playoffs, the kid was unbelievable! Then perhaps some of his better games (boston in the playoffs, etc...)

Remind him that he was once a great goalie, and there's no reason he can't do it again!

Then when he starts playing well....ship him out! :)

BUt part of the problem could be all the baggage Theodore has over the last couple years

the atmosphere in the dressing room, Theodore seeming to be in a clique .

of ice activities, he just isnt the young goalie who played to win and expectations and salary wasnt as big and hockey was the main focus

attitude for example the equipment discussion with management!

I have to laugh when people say we need to wait to get equal value for Theo..what is equal value for an over priced goaltender who's had one good season? Lets be honest, if we can get rid of Theo, and get any reasonable asset in return, it needs to be done. I've allways said that a team in this stage of developement doesn't need a big dollar goaltender anyway, we would be just as well going this season and next with Danis and Huet sharing the duties, and wait for Price to develop. In 3 years or so, with a few deft moves, Habs should be a contender. We're not winning a cup before that, so I say we go with a couple of second tier goaltenders.

I have to laugh when people say we need to wait to get equal value for Theo..what is equal value for an over priced goaltender who's had one good season? Lets be honest, if we can get rid of Theo, and get any reasonable asset in return, it needs to be done. I've allways said that a team in this stage of developement doesn't need a big dollar goaltender anyway, we would be just as well going this season and next with Danis and Huet sharing the duties, and wait for Price to develop. In 3 years or so, with a few deft moves, Habs should be a contender. We're not winning a cup before that, so I say we go with a couple of second tier goaltenders.

i agree cant fathom any team giving out alot of value for Theodore.

But if HABS could get a team to bite on a theo deal

i would think HABS would be looking for another goalie