Koivu Re-Signed

zumpano21

one must imagine that the cap will have a flattening effect on new contracts. It wont necisarily mean that mid-high range players will be devalued, rather that the salary disparity between mid-high and high range players will be lessened.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

That's nonsensical. He really wanted to be here, and didn't have to settle for less! I suppose you would have said, "No, Bob, I don't want that much - pay me less."

It's absolute common sense, for the no trade clause and his aging years he accepts a 3 year salary at the same rate of pay he was making before(even though he is not going to play at that same level nor is he expected to). This frees him from the boobirds by lessening their expectations.

Bob has a say in what's offered and if this was the first offer he threw across the table we're in big trouble. Koivu also had the choice, one can assume, of hard bargaining for a contract like he got or settling for one that takes into account his advanced years and the effect that has on small injury prone players.

Its all fine and good to be sentimental over players, but you have to maintain some perspective.

As for Kaberle, he's a skilled D-man and there is a general shortage of D in the league right now. Also, who cares about what Toronto does. Just because other teams make mistakes doesn't they justify ours. Personally, I think Kaberle is worth every penny and I would be happier signing him at that price then Koivu.

Make no mistake, I like Koivu, only not enough to justify this contract. One fan/arm-chair gm's opinion. Hope you guys that are getting all defensive about this don't come around yelling about his money and play over the next three years.

Very nice post KoZed very well said or should I say typed.

This will indeed make Saku more accountable if this team does not progressively get better over the course of his contract.

Agreed, and what do you do if this doesn't work? No trade clause! 3 years with thumbs up our asses that's what.

i dont know what this means. This is the first yr of the cap. They were spending more than 39 million beforehand and I think they were top 10 of spending. If they dont spend to the cap it is mostly for breathing room.

Yeah I was a bit off on that one. I know, obviously, that this is the 1st year of cap. What I was wrong about was the player spending pre-cap years. The 2001 player budget was $51 mil so there will still be money and cap space to play around with if the cap goes up as assumed. This does trivialize the issue a bit, but the fact remains that even with the 2001 player budget and an additional 7.5 million to play around with the fans still booed Brisebois. Play that doesn't match the salary will always get the scorn of the Bell centre. How do you get out of that pressure cooker once its singled you out?

Edited by Lister110

That being said, money is not always for the present and the future. Its often a reward for the past as well. I think this is what this contract represents. Saku's been in Montreal through the very lows, often been the only forward worth the ticket's price and came back from countless injuries. And dont forget that Saku always agreed to short and inexpensive contracts.

True, lets hope that fans can all keep that sense of perspective for the next three years. A one year or even maybe two year reward contract for past merits could be sustainable with low production. If he doesn't pick his game up throughout that time its going to get hard to stomach.

I also wonder if the addition of Kovalev to the team has dimished Koivu's leadership. If he no longer motivates and loses his offense skills and grit, what else will remain?

Now I know that I've gotten too pessimistic, only trying to present the down side. He might bounce back and then this whole debate will be useless.

Here's to hoping for the best

The :hlogo: Captain showed us why he is a true :hlogo: Captain. When the media made rounds on Team Canada yesterday regarding the betting incident, Koivu was clear minded and impressed me more than any other player. Nuff said.

All Hail #11

P.S. Thanks Serge.

I can't believe people are complaining about this. To suggest that Ribs could/should be our #1 center is absolutely ridiculous.

It doesn't matter what Bob does, there are people who will complain.

Ribs as our #1 :puke: :blink::angry2::(:wacko::o:ph34r: :nono: :lool: :monkey:

I never said that Ribs should be number 1. Read my post again.

I was responding to the comment that Ribs is useless. He is not. If you compare him to number 2 centers, he is producing decently. If you compare Koivu to number 1 centers, he is dissapointing.

If you read I suggest we either replace Koivu, or move him to number 2 to replace ribs. I never said to replace Koivu with Ribs.

I also said that ribs is out producing Koivu lately. Not all season. If you look at the entire season, ribs might just produce more points then Koivu, because Koivu is injured so often. People seem to forget that in the last full season, Ribs lead the team in points (not Koivu) and that his and Ryders full season performance got us in the Playoffs.

the only other comment I have is that Ribs has never had top minutes, top wingers, and top power play time either. He is doing decent for what we pay him. Koivu has to play better then he is to justify his contract and number one status.

If Koivu is going to be a 60 point a season guy, then lets play him like one. No more then three million and second line time. Use the savings to find a true number one center and then trade Ribs.

Hold on a sec here. I don't understand your logic.

What makes you think that if we move Koivu to the second line he'll score 60pts? And besides Kovalev is on pace for 60-ish pts too..should we move him to the 2nd line and find a first line winger? Oh wait, he's supposed to be one!

Why not play with two seemingly first lines! were playing with two Second lines now anyways!

First (1st) line: Peres -Jokinen - Kovi

Second (1st) line: Ak-Koivu-Selanne

2nd Line: Bulis - Plek - Ryder

3rd (4th): Higgins -Bonk- Begin

Nahhhh just Dreamin Youre right!

Why not play with two seemingly first lines! were playing with two Second lines now anyways!

First (1st) line: Peres -Jokinen - Kovi

Second (1st) line: Ak-Koivu-Selanne

2nd Line: Bulis - Plek - Ryder

3rd (4th): Higgins -Bonk- Begin

Nahhhh just Dreamin Youre right!

That second line will ROCK!

If that is dreaming, then keep on dreaming Corvina.

I would love having enough talent to make Koivu our number two (sorry, 1b) center. :)

Dreamin apart ... and again this is mostly just on paper... We would need just two names to add to our list to achieve those lines mentioned above... and were not talking about getting Ovechkin and Jagr!!

Maybe even Kovalev gets someone interested in a White French North to call Home!

Although not a good sign to start the hype when the Mother Russia team is losing...

Anyhow I am really hyped ... maybe not before March 9 but for next year! I'm not gonna say more dont want Jinx a thing...

go habs go! :hlogo: