Jokinen In Montreal?

According to the site TheFourthPeriod, Jokinen and the Panthers are way apart in their contrat talks and Keenan could trade him before the trade deadline. Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal and Nashville are rumoured to be interested.

If we can resign him, then I say go for it. And even with Koivu's new contract, we can afford Jokinen at 6M$/year, especially if Theo is traded.

We have presently 4M$ under the cap, the cap will go up from 3M to 6M next year and we can get rid of Ribs who would be at about 1.8M next year. Basically, Jokinen would be Ribs + cap increase. We still have 4M$ under the cap to absorb other players' increases. Trade Theo, sign a cheaper good goalie at 3-3.5(ex:Fernandez) and a good D at 4 (trade Souray at 2.6 and the new D wouldn't cost us that much) and we are set for a great year :D

If only it was so simple :rolleyes:

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to have him, but I bet you 5:1 that they want young talent from us for him, and that won't happen. Maybe if they include Luongo for Theo and a pick or 2. Not likely

:hlogo: Since this rumour is along the lines of what i had posted in an earlier thread ill post it again here.

To Panthers: Radek Bonk / Niklaus Sundstrom / 1st Round Draft Pick / One of our depth goalies like Michaud or Halak(I figure they might need one if Luongo leaves them)

To Habs: Ollie Jokinen

To Wild: Jose Theodore / Richard Zednik / Francis Bouillon / 2nd Round Draft Pick

To Habs: Manny Fernandez / Pierre-Marc Bouchard

To Hawks: Mike Ribeiro / Craig Rivet / 2nd Round Draft Pick / 4th Round Draft Pick

To Habs: Mark Bell / Adrian Aucoin / 3rd Round Draft Pick

Trades 1 and 2 before deadline.

Free Agency: Teemu Selanne / Danny Markov

That would give us for the 06-07 Season....

Alexander Perezhogin(1.2) / Olli Jokinen(5.5) / Alexei Kovalev(4.5)

Teemu Selanne(2.5) / Saku Koivu(4.75) / Michael Ryder(1.85)

Mark Bell(1) / Tomas Plekanec(.75) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard(1.5)

Jan Bulis(1.5) / Steve Begin(.65) / Chris Higgins(.85)

Adrian Aucoin(4) / Andrei Markov(2)

Sheldon Souray(2.35) / Danny Markov(2.5)

Mathieu Dandenault(1.7) / Mike Komisarek(0.85)

Manny Fernandez(3) / Christobal Huet(1.25)

JP Cote, Andrei Kastitsyn, Guillame Latendress(probably start in Hamilton), Garth Murray etc. in reserve.

With the cap going up to 42-45 million and the added salaries above being 44.2 million.. I think its doable. Let me know what you think.

Edited by The-Habby2919

Why woould the WILD agree to that trade #2 that you had proposed.

Fernandez better and cheaper that THEO, even if they cannot keep 1 of the 2 of their goalies, there are several cheaper and just as effective starters that will be available in the summer via UFA. As well to give up an emerging offensive player like P.M. Bouchard. I'm not sure that deal would work for them, for lastly the most important reason whcih is financials, they've never been a big money team and this deal would involve them picking up much salary.

:hlogo: Since this rumour is along the lines of what i had posted in an earlier thread ill post it again here.

To Panthers: Radek Bonk / Niklaus Sundstrom / 1st Round Draft Pick / One of our depth goalies like Michaud or Halak(I figure they might need one if Luongo leaves them)

To Wild: Jose Theodore / Richard Zednik / Francis Bouillon / 2nd Round Draft Pick

To Hawks: Mike Ribeiro / Craig Rivet / 2nd Round Draft Pick / 4th Round Draft Pick

JP Cote, Andrei Kastitsyn, Guillame Latendress(probably start in Hamilton), Garth Murray etc. in reserve.

With the cap going up to 42-45 million and the added salaries above being 44.2 million.. I think its doable. Let me know what you think.

If it was that easy, it would have been done already. But it isn't, so it isn't.

Beside, the Habs are getting the best (by a wide margin) in all these trades. Looked at from the other team's perspective there's hardly anything to gain from any of these trades. And that is without taking in account that you're suggesting a change of 7-8 core players in a very short time-frame, which is a HUGE change for a hockey club.

Its all well thought-out and a nice way to dream about what the team could be... but its not too realistic..

QUOTE(The-Habby2919 @ Feb 13 2006, 10:22 PM)

Since this rumour is along the lines of what i had posted in an earlier thread ill post it again here.

To Habs: Ollie Jokinen and the rest of it...................

Are you HIGH?

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

QUOTE(The-Habby2919 @ Feb 13 2006, 10:22 PM)

Since this rumour is along the lines of what i had posted in an earlier thread ill post it again here.

To Habs: Ollie Jokinen and the rest of it...................

Are you HIGH?

Hey hey... No need to be so harsh with people who share their plausible-yet-unlikely-to-happen ideas. Keep the "Are you high?"'s for those who suggest trading Theodore for a bag of pucks or putting Ribeiro on waivers.

It WON'T HAPPEN because I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN!

SO THERE!!!!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

Wow

I can't believe you possibly think any of these deals are good for the other teams. There not even close to being fair.

Please explain to me why Florida would give up Jokenin for a bunch of junk like Bonk and Sundstrom when Ottawa is offering Martin Havlat?

And Minnesota is looking at adding scoring help, not trade it away...Bouchard. The best you'll get from them is one of their defensmen.

Thanks to Koivu's contract we may be a little closer to signing some Finns. Jokinen may want to play with his fellow friend and Finn after seeing how the team respects him and regards him as their leader...... or not......

Wow.....a little off topic but i would give anything to see martin havlat in a habs jersey

Something like this would be nice:

Zednik/Ribeiro

kostitsyn

1st rounder

for

havlat

but that would never happen becuase if ottawa is going to get rid of havlat, he will be far far away in the west so they never have to play him.....he is a franchise player waiting for the right coach to give him a slight attitude adjustment

Thanks to Koivu's contract we may be a little closer to signing some Finns. Jokinen may want to play with his fellow friend and Finn after seeing how the team respects him and regards him as their leader...... or not......

Hey this might be true :king: ... Koivu probably is a magnet for other fins. But not Jokinen (even if it would be proof that there is a god), cause the price would be to high. Florida would want some combination of young guys and draft picks. Personnaly, it would not go higher then Ryder + Komisarek for Jokinen. I not even sure I'd pull the trigger on that one. It might be better to wait and sign him in the summer if he doesn't sign long term with a new team or Florida, wich is almost certain to happen. Selanne in a habs uniform his much more likely to happen and would make a great first line. IMO, since the ducks got him for free (if I remember correctly), and since he's 36, Burke might let him go for a 2 rounder.

I hope he comes to town, if only so that after every nice play he makes, I can say, "you must be Jokinen!" Everybody will laugh.

hahahaha :D:D:D:D:D

Umm...

(but isn't it pronounced "Yokinen"? -- too bad I like the joke too...)

Let's see what happens in Turin anyway!

We have presently 4M$ under the cap, the cap will go up from 3M to 6M next year and we can get rid of Ribs who would be at about 1.8M next year. Basically, Jokinen would be Ribs + cap increase. We still have 4M$ under the cap to absorb other players' increases. Trade Theo, sign a cheaper good goalie at 3-3.5(ex:Fernandez) and a good D at 4 (trade Souray at 2.6 and the new D wouldn't cost us that much) and we are set for a great year :D

If only it was so simple :rolleyes:

As far as I know, there is no increase on player's salaries counting towards the cap space. Each contract is divided into even amounts for every season.

ex: someone makes 3M, 4M and 5M, for a three year contract, the average is 4M, therefore every year he would count for 4 M towards the cap. Let me know if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it goes.

Wow.....a little off topic but i would give anything to see martin havlat in a habs jersey

Something like this would be nice:

Zednik/Ribeiro

kostitsyn

1st rounder

for

havlat

but that would never happen becuase if ottawa is going to get rid of havlat, he will be far far away in the west so they never have to play him.....he is a franchise player waiting for the right coach to give him a slight attitude adjustment

lol this is the best joke i heard all day, havlat is not that good,3 players and a 1st rounder for havlat thats a good one , you got to be a ottawa fan or joking.

I'd part with one of Kostitsyn or Perezhogin along with a first round draft pick for Jokinen. But I think the Panthers will create a bidding war, with a bluechipper and a first rounder being the minimum offer even considered.

:hlogo: If Ottawa is after Jokinen all the more reason to get him ahead of them. With Saku signed it should help to keep him ong term. So trade Theo, Souray, Plecanek & a pick for Luongo & Jokinen. Then trade C. Locke, M. Streit, M. Dandenault & N. Sundstrom to Phoenix for P. Mara & D. Gauthier. Trade Ribiero to Calgary for C. Kobasew. Finally trade Ryder, Zednik & Bonk to Edmonton for M. Peca, R. Torres & J F Jacques. Then we look like this:

Huet, Danis

P. Mara-A. Markov

C. Rivet-D. Gauthier

Komisarek-Bouillon

Cote

Jokinen, Perezhogin, Kovalev

Koivu, Torres, (Kobasew for this year, then bring Selanne in as a UFA move Kobasew to third line & Higgins to 4'th with Begin and Jacques)

Peca, Bulis, Higgins

Begin, Jacques, Downey depth (Murray, Kostitsin, Ferland)

Bulis the Habbie, I really hope you keep your nick because Montreal has got to sign Bulis. Until they do, he looks like a candidate to follow Ribeiro to Florida or where ever.

I didn't know he was a UFA. Yikes. I would like to keep Bulis but if it isn't him who goes, who will it be?

Don't get me wrong. I guess when it comes down to it we all know that Jokinen is going to cost more than has been suggested in this forum, salary cap or not.

Cheers to Bulis. :hlogo: