Hw Cycling Fanatics

mathieu30

The new season is underway, and Philippe Gilbert drew first blood in the 61st Omloop Het Volk.

The 61st Omloop Het Volk ends with a non-Flemish rider winning. The last time that happened was in 2001 with Michele Bartoli, and before that in 1999 with Frank Vandenbroucke.

Philippe Gilbert was impressive. He closed the gap to the three leaders on his own, then attacked repeatedly until he got away solo. The gap at the end was nearly 40 seconds!

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Francaise des Jeux 5.08.32

2 Bert De Waele (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 0.38"

3 Leon van Bon (Ned) Davitamon-Lotto 0.48"

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 258 km, 17 climbs and approximately 20 km of cobbles Tom Boonen wins his second straight Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders). It was the 25 year-old World Champion 12th victory of the season. Great stuff. Amazing.

1 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick.Step 6.30.14

2 Leif Hoste (Bel) Discovery Channel

3 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel

It was a great Tour, seen almost all of it. And there is no size on Tom. The guy is fabolous offlate. Leif didnt stand a chance (unfortunately). Would be nice if someone else would win now and then.

Btw i love those spring cycling tours. Soon the Amster Gold race, also lovely. Or Liege-Bastogne -Liege

Cycling fanatics? Those exist?

Sunday, In Belgium alone, 1.500.000 families watched the Tour of Flanders on TV.

Sunday, In Belgium alone, 1.500.000 families watched the Tour of Flanders on TV.

You guys have so many Families? ;)

Yes BTH, cycling is BIG in europe! Havent you seen the images of the Tour de France. Thousands of people on the streets cheering!! Mountaintop full of people! The spring classics are crazy in Belgium, everywhere the yellow flag with the Lion! Belgium is one hell of a cycling country!!

Spain/Italy/France and Holland is also quite fanatic!! Germany is getting more and more, and also the Scandinavian countries!!Austria and Switserland also a bit. Tour the France is one hell of a ride for me. I follow it from the beginning to the end. When i was a student i was following every minute of it!

I was just kidding guys! I know cycling is much bigger in Europe than it is here but I never hear of fanatics who follow the sport everywhere. Sounds like those NASCAR fans who travel across the world to watch someone drive a car (you might as well sit in a rocking chair and look outside your window all day as you watch the cars go by).

Hey Bubbles Just realized your "p.p" is crooked! the Flyers logo on your avatar! :D

THANK YOU!!!

I said that and everyone told me I was crazy. Now it depends which way I look at it - it's an optical illusion.

On today's menu: L'Enfer du Nord, Paris-Roubaix, 'The Hell of the North'.

Last year, 'the Spanish Flandrien', Juan Antonio Flecha, the always consistent George Hincapie and the new king of Belgian cycling, Tom Boonen, arrived on the banks of this aforementioned velodrome as one. With one lap remaining, Boonen was perfectly positioned in third wheel, nervous though confident in his abilities after his first Ronde van Vlaanderen victory a week before; #71, the quiet American George Hincapie, was the piggy in the middle, unsure whether to look ahead or behind him; and Flecha - the slowest of the three on paper - probably required a change of shorts at that point.

The Spaniard jumped with 250 metres to go, but as Boonen flew down the banking like a pure track sprinter, the audience knew there could be only one winner...

One year older and looking as strong as ever after a relatively easy repeat victory in De Ronde last Sunday, 25 year-old Boonen will enter the 2006 edition of Paris-Roubaix as the outright favourite. The world champion has made a mockery of the 'curse of the rainbow jersey' and can seemingly do no wrong. Yet unlike the Ronde, or any other race for that matter, there is a larger than normal degree of luck in 'The Hell of the North'.

Chapeau Mr Cancellara. The strongest man in this race, by far. A good day for the suisse.

1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) CSC 259 km/6.07.54

Leif Hoste (Bel) Discovery Channel 1.23

Peter van Petegem (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto

Vladimir Gussev (Rus) Discovery Channel

Disqualified for ignoring a stop sign! No kidding!

2 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick.Step 1.51

3 Alessandro Ballan (Ita) Lampre-Fondital

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great day for cycling here in sunny Liège. The 92nd edition of Liège-Bastogne-Liège: "La Doyenne". The riders just got underway for 262 km of tough climbing in the Ardennes.

Can Vinokourov repeat his victory of last year, or will Valverde surprise everyone as he did on wednesday in La Flèche Wallonne?

This morning before the start, the UCI blood tested 32 riders. All riders were declared fit to start. 195 riders are in the race.

Edited by mathieu30

Valverde did, guy was superb in the sprint. Unfortunate Boogerd couldnt win, he was quite good today. Leading group till the last hill. He gave it a good try!

Yep, Boogerd looked good. He recovered well from his injury. He didn't get much support from his fellow attacker Joaquin Rodriguez. Too bad Bettini closed that 45" gap just before St-Nicolas. Maybe next year..

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 6.21.32

2 Paolo Bettini (Ita) Quickstep-Innergetic

3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital

• 3 months later...

And yes, what was to be expected happened. The cyclist that got caught with doping is nobody but: Floyd Landis. In credible, what a fool! The guy is to stupid. It's the tour that al lot of guys were dismissed, and he does it also.

Pereiro Sio for YELLOW!!

Statement from the Phonak Cycling Team:

"The Phonak Cycling Team was notified yesterday by the UCI about an unusual level of Testosterone/Epitestosterone ratio in the test made on Floyd Landis after stage 17 of the Tour de France. The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result. The rider will ask in the upcoming days for the counter analysis to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake in the confirmation. In application of the Pro Tour Ethical Code, the rider will not race anymore until this problem is totally clear. If the result of the B sample analysis confirms the result of the A sample, the rider will be dismissed and will then pass the corresponding endocrinological examinations."

*avec hypocrisie*

Yes I'm one of them. What kind of bike does everyone have?

I used to have a MARINONI :D (a Italian-Chinese make - MARINO NI :lool: ). It was a good bike and I imagine it still is for the person who has it now. :huh: It was 'borrowed without permission on a permanent basis' by someone last year :puke: .

Now I have a TREK 7500. It's a very good & comfortable hybrid bike. I'm very satisfied with it. :):D

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1