Hw Cycling Fanatics

mathieu30

Yeah, that was sick. Fell 3 times and changed his cycle also 3 times, it was something like that.

But i think he really matured since..for example how calm he has been the last week. (when Contador attacked/when he was left all alone with his competitors/when he got kicked out of the olympics)

But its gonna be hard to to keep the yellow jersey today, but im also not sure what will be good. Maybe its good to lose it for a couple of days and then ride as a beast again in the mountains to secure some more minutes for the next time trial)

Or stay in the jersey, and show the rest how you ride the mountains and increase the gap for the next trial (but im not sure if he can attack in the yellow)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, it sure was. Think Rasmussen surprised lots of people today. Vino as well. Took 2' ánd it was raining during his TT.

This years race is wide-open.

Where's the thrill in cycling? It's boring to me because nothing seems to change, it seems like all you need to watch is the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes and the huge period in between is just the same thing happening over and over again (and it's not like watching a bunch of men in spandex bike is all that fun for the first time).

Must be kind of fun to do though (be a cyclist).

Rabobank just kicked yellow jersey Rasmussen out of the Tour. This is getting really sad. Really, really, sad.

Rabobank just kicked yellow jersey Rasmussen out of the Tour.

..and fired him.

I'm feeling for the majority of riders who are riding around clean.

Cycling has lost all its credibility.

Think its time for a drastic change. Banning for life? Maybe that's the only solution.

Cycling as we know it today has no future.

LourdesGrotte.jpg

..and fired him.

I'm feeling for the majority of riders who are riding around clean.

Cycling has lost all its credibility.

Think its time for a drastic change. Banning for life? Maybe that's the only solution.

Cycling as we know it today has no future.

LourdesGrotte.jpg

you're kidding right ??? the majority !!!??!?! I'm laughing so much than HW tells me to not abuse of the emoticon...

I'm convinced that the majority of young riders isn't doped. The new generation. The ones born in 1980+.

It's that previous generation that is still lying & cheating.

I'm convinced that the young riders are clean.

Lots of these kids are going to the same doctor as me. The Boonens, Gilberts, Nuyens..

For the older riders doping is just a part of cycling. It has always been like that. Since the arrival of the kid generation things are changing.

Controls are getting better, there is no sport that controls its athletes more than cycling. Fewer and fewer people are getting caught. Still a couple of 'not so smart people' are trying to get away with it. Russian Roulette.

The mayority of riders in the peloton is clean, the young ones. Trust me ;)

I said this earlier. The sport is in self destruct mode. The riders don't seem to get it. Cheating is not acceptable anymore in today's society. Look at what's going on in baseball and the olympics. We hate cheaters and we tend to move away from sports that have cheaters.

the riders themselves are putting professional cycling out of business. Its sad. Cycling was actually becoming a sport here and not just something a couple people did. States were having their own "Tours", cycling clubs were popping up all over the place. And just like over night it all vanished after last year. Now states don't welcome ideas of "Tours" anymore because of doping. The riders didn't just shoot their sport in the foot, shot it in the temp.

It's like they want the sport to die. It's almost sick when you look at it that way but somehow these guys aren't getting the message. They've set back biking in this country decades. It won't ever recover from it.

cycling has died and these idiots killed it. :(

Its over. Its over.

Once the sponsors pull out (which they will) there won't be another tour de france.

The tour de france will not be raced next year. Maybe that will finally get the message to these idiots. Because at this rate it won't. Sponsors don't want to be associated with cheating anymore. The public doesn't except it.

RIP Professional Cycling

RIP Tour de France

I'm sorry to say its dead. And if it does come back it won't be the same.

well maybe, but the youngsters aren't contenders. Landis, Vino, Rassmussen, Basso, Ullrich, Hamilton, Sevilla, Sinkewitz, etc, and the list goes on and on... Seems that we will have to wait another 5 years to see a real winner. (don't tell me Armstrong was clean :glare: )

Not so fast Pierre.

Thats an F for history.. again!

Cycling is a religion overhere in Europe. For over 100 years now. No way cycling is finished.

Maybe in non-cycling communitys, but not in Europe.

Drastic changes? Yes! The end of cycling? Don't think so.

well considering the only way we know for sure is by drug tests and he never failed a drug test. Therefore he was clean.

Armstrong had carte blanche because of his disease.

Armstrong had carte blanche because of his disease.

I'd disagree. Armstrong got through because he had the best lab (pharmacists, biochemists) working for him. They were ahead of the drug testers.

if the sponsors pull out mathieu there's nothing they can do, they'll have to cancel the race no matter what. We all know the world runs on 'sponsors' in anything.

If the big sponsors T-Mobile for one (which I think is a given at this point) and others move out. The tv broadcasters would follow and then what?

no sponsors

no tv

game over

maybe they do need to cancel the race for next year. Maybe THEN will this idiots get the message.

Religion or not people get fed up with things sooner or later.

Its happened here in the states with Hockey and to a lesser extent baseball and the NBA.

When people stop caring, they don't show up, sport suffers.

if they do race next year look for the smallest field ever. Sponsors won't get involved when 'doping' is on prevelant. You got to remember it hurts the sponsors even more to be associated and fund a cheater.

this isn't football hooliganism where you just fence off the crowd. These are the players openly cheating.

You can't recover from that. Even if it is a 'religion'.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it's not going to happen. Not here.

If my memory serves me well, the nineties were the dark days of cycling overhere. The days of the "Festina Affaire".

People kept supporting their riders. That's not going to change.

Just to give you an idea:

Next week there will be post-Tour-criteriums all over Europe.

These are more show then races with start money being paid the riders. Cities pay huge amounts of money to get the riders at the start. The races are not exactly fixed, but you wont find some lesser rider winning one. A big star will win, and a local rider will also get top 3. The top riders will put in an attack as well to make a show for the fans. The racing itself is more serious then say the final stage in Paris for the Tour, but the results are a little more controlled and predictable.

Everybody knows how it works, still, watch for the attendance numbers. Thousands and thousands will attend these criteriums.

My brother for example is supporting a rider that will make his comeback during one of these criteriums. Right now he's on a vacation in Croatia. Want to bet he's back in time to see his favourite rider next week?

Cycling is a part of life, a part of our culture.

Just heard the CEO of Rabobank. They will continue sponsoring the cycling team.

Yeah true, but i'm broken.

Not with all the Rasmussen stuff, but the words that Jans Koerts told yesterday on Dutch Television hit me like a bomb...

I always loved the guy, but yesterday on a cycling talkshow he admitted he used doping, and he claims that a lot of tour riders are still using.

i'm confused. i'm a cycling addict, but after all this shit it feels like i was fooled all these years. I never had that before(not during the 90's, not after Vino's junk), just after the words of this sprinter!

I'd disagree. Armstrong got through because he had the best lab (pharmacists, biochemists) working for him. They were ahead of the drug testers.

Sure, his success had nothing to do with his high VO2 number, large and strong heart, and his very low lactate levels. His lactate production is a huge factor in his success, his levels of lactic acid are half of that of other racers. Just think about that, he's out there riding just as hard as everyone else, but he's feeling half as much fatigue, because he body is only producing half as much lactic acid as other riders. That's a HUGE advantage, especially on the mountain stages, which is where he always made his moves. On level ground, he's no better than most of the other riders, since there is less of a fatigue factor. But once he got on those mountains, he was gone.

Sure, his success had nothing to do with his high VO2 number, large and strong heart, and his very low lactate levels. His lactate production is a huge factor in his success, his levels of lactic acid are half of that of other racers. Just think about that, he's out there riding just as hard as everyone else, but he's feeling half as much fatigue, because he body is only producing half as much lactic acid as other riders. That's a HUGE advantage, especially on the mountain stages, which is where he always made his moves. On level ground, he's no better than most of the other riders, since there is less of a fatigue factor. But once he got on those mountains, he was gone.

His lactate levels are low because he has so many red cells (polycythemia) extracting oxygen from the low oxygen tension in the mountains. His abnormally increased amount of red cells prevents the occurrence of anaerobic metabolism, hence low lactate levels.

The question is not why his lactate levels are low but why he has so many red cells in his blood.....

French newspaper calls for cancellation of Tour

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more...efrance.rea.ap/

FRANCE SOIR

Death notice: the Tour de France died on 25 July 2007, at the age of 104, after a long illness...

The Tour is clinically dead. It is a broken toy, a burst soap bubble popped by careless kids, unaware that they are damaging themselves, their health and their childhood dreams as well.

It's all the more painful as we had almost begun to believe in the Tour again... in these soap-and-water cyclists who we were so ready to love. But instead of dreams, the last 48 hours have been a living nightmare.

LE FIGARO

It really doesn't matter who wins the Tour. The 2007 edition died on 24 July on the heights of Loudenvielle.

Killed by Alexandre Vinokourov, idolised by the media and cycling fans, but revealed to have the blood of another running in his veins on the finishing line. Damn Vinokourov! He sullied the infinite beauty of the Pyrenees, dirtied cycling a little more and further discredited the Tour de France.

LIBERATION

The Tour is seriously ill... four days from the final leg, the Tour has just one goal: to hold tight and make it to Paris.

It won't be easy though. The race is rapidly losing its meaning. Whoever wins is instantly under suspicion and no human activity can move forward under assumed guilt.

The Tour is on its last legs, dragging its drips behind it. And in its wake are drops of blood, which might not even be its own.

LE MONDE

Despite everything, 52% of the public say they continue to "love the Tour". Year in, year out, the television audience remains stable since 1998 and the Festina affair.

Even robbed of its purely sporting value, the Tour continues to fascinate, according to television analyst Professor Francois Jost.

"TV viewers watch the Tour as they might watch a soap opera," he says.

"There is even the pursued and the pursuer. In one way, the drug scandal just adds a bit of spice to the whole story."

Alberto Contador had a brain stroke 3 or 4 years ago, when he was 20, but save his life with surgery. I think he doesn't take any aditional medicine now.

I hope he'll win the Tour tomorrow, he was attacking in the mountains everyday, this is the kind of cycling I like.

A spanish guy winning the tour, it will be is a hard day in France :D :D :D :D

Accordind to the spanish press, tomorrow will be an another rider involved in doping, colombian rider Juan Mauricio Solertested positive in stage 14

He's the leader of the mountain classification. With his elimination, Contador will be the leader in this classificacion too. He could win 3 maillots (yellow, mountain and youngs)

jesus. He's the one that won that huge stage in the alps.

I'm telling yeah this race is dead next year.

That will wake up people.

No Tour champ this year - LeMond

Three-time champion Greg LeMond says the Tour de France should not have a winner this year following the string of damaging doping scandals.

Race leader Michael Rasmussen has been sacked for lying while Alexandre Vinokourov, Cristian Moreni and Patrik Sinkewitz have all failed drugs tests.

"I'd prefer to see a non-Tour de France winner," said LeMond, a winner in 1986, 1989 and 1990. "It's more symbolic."

However, he felt the race would survive the problems it has endured this year.

"The Tour is an event. It has a glorious past. It has a history. The Tour will never go away," said the 46-year-old Californian.

"What I'm pessimistic about is the credibility of cycling as a whole. Each time we thought things were looking better, then we take a dive."

Rasmussen was kicked off the Tour by his own Rabobank team, who claim he lied about his whereabouts in the build-up to the event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_spor...ing/6918408.stm

Tour is null and void - Wiggins

Britain's Bradley Wiggins says this year's Tour de France has lost all credibility following the spate of doping controversies to hit the race.

Wiggins was forced to pull out of the race after a Cofidis team-mate, Cristian Moreni, was found to have tested positive for testosterone.

"No-one has faith in who is wearing the yellow jersey," said the 27-year-old.

"This year's Tour has lost all credibility. It's null and void as far as I am concerned this year."

Wiggins won Olympic gold in the individual pursuit at Athens 2004 and also claimed a silver in the team pursuit and bronze in the madison.

Speaking from a news conference in Manchester, he added: "It's been a hectic 48 hours.

"From finishing a seven-and-a-quarter-hour Pyrenean stage on Wednesday to being told straight away at the finish that we had to go to the police station on a bus.

"Then being dragged out of France after being questioned and flying home on Thursday.

"I'm quite pleased I'm here and out of it. I have no regret that I am not there. It's not a nice place to be.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_spor...ing/6918877.stm