Hw Cycling Fanatics

mathieu30

I'm reading todays newspaper.. According to Eddy Merckx, 75% of the riders in the peloton are clean.

^_^

Great minds think alike.

;)

Angry Wiggins sees hope in new generation

"Ten years ago it was rife in the sport and there's a new generation coming through now and unfortunately it's the older guys who were there back in 1998 that are still willing to push the boundaries and see how far they can go without being caught. Hopefully the new generation that are coming through - the guys you saw protesting on the line are the guys that are going to be the future of the sport and the Tour de France."

"I wouldn't say I'm bitter. I'm angered by it and it's made my determination to come through this whole thing and to prove that there can be clean winners in this sport."

"Pat McQuaid has been left with a very difficult job and has been left with a lot of dead wood from 10 years ago. But he seems to be going about it in the right way, we seemed to be tested every other day, we gave blood and urine on the stages, which is how Vinokourov was caught. I think that's reassuring. It may have tarnished the sport but for me, that guy's gone and I've moved up a place in the time trial. For the clean athletes, it's great that the testing procedures are working."

"I think the team managers have to take responsibility for this as well because they're willing to pay these guys who are under suspicion and have been involved in previous years in doping scandals. Ivan Basso, last year got thrown off the Tour is disgrace - [Discovery Channel's Johan] Brunyeel this year goes and signs him on a million Euro contract.

The hypocrisy in that is unbelievable. These guys are running some of the biggest professional cycling teams in the sport. What's their motivation within the sport if they are willing to sign someone who they knew was under investigation of who had been thrown out of the Tour the previous year. Not every team manager thinks that way but it seems that there is a minority out there who aren't willing to play by the rules - including the team managers."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading todays newspaper.. According to Eddy Merckx, 75% of the riders in the peloton are clean.

^_^

Great minds think alike.

;)

The problem is : the peloton never win the TDF. You have to beat the peloton to win, and to beat the peloton, you have to be doped !!!

The problem is : the peloton never win the TDF. You have to beat the peloton to win, and to beat the peloton, you have to be doped !!!

the peloton AKA all the riders ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Discovery Channel pulls out obviously because of doping.

And the reigning champion of cycling for the past gosh almost decade couldn't find a sponsor. COULD NOT FIND A SPONSOR!

"Discovery will still ride in this year's Tour of Spain and the Tour of Missouri, but the shutdown means Contador, Leipheimer and the 25 other riders must find new teams for 2008."

well at least they're racing here but of course these 'tours of states of the us' are officially dead now.

Cycling is dead because of idiots.

this is just the first straw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-di...p&type=lgns

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/sports/s...amp;oref=slogin

In a conference call with reporters yesterday, Armstrong and Bill Stapleton, the team’s general manager, said that they had been “90 percent there” to securing a new sponsorship deal, but that the upheavals in the sport ultimately were too much to overcome.

“We finally concluded that we couldn’t in good conscience make a recommendation to a company to spend the sort of money that is necessary,” Stapleton said. The team wanted a $15 million annual commitment for three years.

Armstrong agreed. “There are too many questions in the sport,” he said, citing, in addition to the doping scandals, the poor relationship that was evident last month between the company that organizes the Tour de France and the International Cycling Union, the sport’s governing body, which oversees competition but does not control most of the sport’s top events.

----------------------------

This only means Versus coverage will go with it into the grave. There is no need now for the american viewing public to watch the tour de france now. This was America's only team.

Rest in Peace

• 1 year later...