Gold!

ch_nl

Tre Kronor did it.

Joy, joy, joy. I don't know what to write. So happy. Mats Sundin and Niklas Lidström finaly get's their olympic gold medals.

1. Tre Kronor

2. Finska Lejonen

3. Cezka

congrats ch_nl

great game by the swedes

tell me, what's the big rivalry between sweden and finland..why do you guys hate each other ??

Congrats to me? Well I didn't play in person but thanks anyway.

The rivalry between Sweden and Finland goes back long and there's a number of things that matters.

1. Once Finland was a part of Sweden and in some parts of Finland they speak swedish. Or Fino-swedish as we call it. (Finlandssvenska)

2. After the Finnish winter war there was a lot of finnish childs who was sent to Sweden as their families was killed. They are known as the finnish winter childs and was a generation who grew up in swedish fosterfamilies.

3. Finland has been the weaker of the two hockey nations for a very long time. It was not until late 90's when Finlands hockey team started to challenge Sweden for real. They later took their first and only gold medal in the world championships in 1995. That tournament was held in Sweden. Finland had a swedish coach and they stole the swedish song. They also celibrated their victory at Sergels Square in Stockholm - Something Tre Kronor does when they win a title...

Though I feel a great big Boooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in my heart, nevertheless, I say congrats to the Swedes.

It would have been GREAT to see the Finns win this. A 'fairy tale' of sorts with a totally happy ending. Koivu is my favourite Canadiens presently playing.

So, despite my congrats, I still have a Boooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to say.

This Sweden-hate that exist in Montreal... Why? The Leafs fan cheer for Sweden when Canada is out.

Is it just because of Saku Koivu? Or is it the underdog thing? And if, why are Finland more underdogs or dark horse than Sweden?

I mean, both Leafs and Canadiens have has great Swedes in their organization.

Leafs had Börje Salming and Mats Sundin. Mats Näslund is general manager in Sweden and he was a great player for the Habs.

I like both Sweden and Finland. Two of my fave players are Lundqvist and Ruutu (Tuomo). If Tuomo had been playing, I probably would have been rooting for Finland but I'm glad Sweden won. They definitely had better overall talent and were playing a more offensive style than Finland. Last thing hockey needs right now is a defensive team winning the Gold medal, but I'm sure lot of countries will try to imitate Finland's formula now. :(

Im still drowning in sorrows from canadas lack of medal in the event and I really would have liked to see Phaneuf on the team. I also thought it would be important to put Staal, Crosby, Tanguay and Spezza on the team to prepare for the 2010 games.

Im still drowning in sorrows from canadas lack of medal in the event and I really would have liked to see Phaneuf on the team. I also thought it would be important to put Staal, Crosby, Tanguay and Spezza on the team to prepare for the 2010 games.

Not only to prepare them, but to WIN!

Imagine Russia without Markov, Ovechkin and Malkin

well that was Canada without Staal, Phaneuf and Spezza/Crosby.

STUPID Gretzky STUPID :angry:

the only thing I regret is the choice of coaches..althought they won in 2002, they have won one cup all together. not impressive...I think that quinn's time has long passed.

I have never been a Quinn fan Hitch and Jacques I love.

Congrats to the Swedes and of course Canadiens fans will cheer for Finland. The Canadiens had zero Swedes representing their country while the captain of Finland was the Canadiens captain not to mention Alfie and Sundin two top Canadiens rival captains were on the Swedes.

I'm just the messenger but the new big thing is that Sweden tanked their final round robin game against Slovakia in order to play Switzerland in the quarterfinals. Jack Todd wrote about the story in today's Gazette and how the Swedish coach hinted to tanking that game for an easy QF game. Even if it's not true, I prefer Finland more and think they definitely deserved the gold medal more than any other team. Especially Canada. Speaking of Canada, it's time to revise the issue of Gretzky knowing what he's doing. He won gold with a loaded roster last time and this time is roster should have been much better but it was the same thing - and they didn't even make the semis. I'm sure guys like Staal, Shanahan, Tanguay, Spezza, Phaneuf et al would have been more useful than the junk Gretzky packed us. I didn't watch the games (since Switzerland) so I can't really judge but where was Joe Sakic? Wasn't he wearing a C on his shirt?

Oh - and in Salt Lake City, Gretzky gave us Maltby-Draper-Doan as a checking line to shutdown the other teams. In Turin, Quinn separated them and put them all on other offensive lines so that each line would have an offensive/defensive balance. NEWSFLASH: If you're not using your less talented checkers as checkers than you're better off with the very talented stars twirling their thumbs in their basements! :blink:

They definitely had better overall talent and were playing a more offensive style than Finland. Last thing hockey needs right now is a defensive team winning the Gold medal, but I'm sure lot of countries will try to imitate Finland's formula now. :(

Suomi had 19 goals in the pre-eliminary round and was 2nd (1st was Russia with 23 goals). And then again 10 goals in the 3 remaining games - I don't think that they're SO defencive. They've a great defence, a great team game but their 2 top offencive lines were also able to score regularly.

Suomi had 19 goals in the pre-eliminary round and was 2nd (1st was Russia with 23 goals). And then again 10 goals in the 3 remaining games - I don't think that they're SO defencive. They've a great defence, a great team game but their 2 top offencive lines were also able to score regularly.

True, but I think the majority of those goals came from the PP. They mostly played a patient, defensive system paired with good puck support. In this type of World class tournament, getting silver with only 2 lines that can score, is overchievment.

I said it will be imitated alot because its a very efficient system, almost unbeatable when your goalie is also very good. Nyytimaki got best goalie of the tournament, but put Kiprusoff in his place and I'm sure Finland has a gold medal today instead of silver.

I'm just the messenger but the new big thing is that Sweden tanked their final round robin game against Slovakia in order to play Switzerland in the quarterfinals. Jack Todd wrote about the story in today's Gazette and how the Swedish coach hinted to tanking that game for an easy QF game. Even if it's not true, I prefer Finland more and think they definitely deserved the gold medal more than any other team. Especially Canada. Speaking of Canada, it's time to revise the issue of Gretzky knowing what he's doing. He won gold with a loaded roster last time and this time is roster should have been much better but it was the same thing - and they didn't even make the semis. I'm sure guys like Staal, Shanahan, Tanguay, Spezza, Phaneuf et al would have been more useful than the junk Gretzky packed us. I didn't watch the games (since Switzerland) so I can't really judge but where was Joe Sakic? Wasn't he wearing a C on his shirt?

Oh - and in Salt Lake City, Gretzky gave us Maltby-Draper-Doan as a checking line to shutdown the other teams. In Turin, Quinn separated them and put them all on other offensive lines so that each line would have an offensive/defensive balance. NEWSFLASH: If you're not using your less talented checkers as checkers than you're better off with the very talented stars twirling their thumbs in their basements! :blink:

Hmm? You mean at the World Cup?

None of Maltby, Draper or Doan were at the 2002 Olympics.

I defended Joe in the other topic so I won't say much here but he really worked his ass off. Broken cheekbone and he's still out there playing for his country when he should be in the dressing room. Admirable stuff.