Game Thread | Penguins Vs. Canadiens | 03/18/06

Spider-Man NL

Bob made a mistake; Aebi had two bad back-to-back games. The fans got on him early and he crumbled. It is tough for a goalie to go long periods of time without facing a shot, usually when Huet stands on his head he his making save after save rarely going any long duration of time without having to make a save.

Next week will be crazy, 4 games in 6 nights the Habs must win all of these games especially the back to back games against the leafs.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Abby is the backup? OK, works for me.

He has to find his roots again. Just ask Oiler fans about Roloson.

Abby :puke: Mr. OVERCOMMITTAL tonight :angry:

I'm goin' to bed and taking some freakin' bayer.

At least our opponents failed too.

:wacko:

Should have won by a mile.

Yeah I know, and maybe the game would have been different if Frankie could have finished the game.

Update on his injury Gainey said that Bouillon only has a bruise no break but tons of swelling.

Ok well.

Here is the magic numbers.

Thrashers 14.5 games

Leafs and Iles 13.5 games.

What these numbers mean is that any combination of the Habs gaining or the opposing team losing said games would ensure the Habs would be in the playoffs and the opposition out.

Example. If the habs win 8 of their next 16 games and the Thrashers lose 7 of their next 15 then the Thrashers would be out of the of the playoff race.

Okay everybody but me was right, on this one. It was a bad idea to start Aebischer tonight, however we now know with absolute certainty that Huet is our man for the rest of the year and more importantly so does Huet. If we can take anything at all out of this loss it is the fact that Christobal is going to bed tonight knowing he is our man for the stretch drive. Go Huet Go.

Okay everybody but me was right, on this one. It was a bad idea to start Aebischer tonight, however we now know with absolute certainty that Huet is our man for the rest of the year and more importantly so does Huet. If we can take anything at all out of this loss it is the fact that Christobal is going to bed tonight knowing he is our man for the stretch drive. Go Huet Go.

So much for competition between them, and them pushing each other to be better.

HUET is the MAN.

HUET HUET HUET

was the hit that took out Bouillon dirtier than we thought???

I was reading the game recap on tsn.ca and it says the player that Bouillon laid out before setting up Bulis' goal in the first was Nordigren the same guy who hit him causing him ot fall feet first into the boards. and as was mentioned earlier, Nordigren didn't even look for the puck

Okay, Bob Gainey is clearly an incompetent coach. He kept running Koivu and Ryder out there shift after shift when they were clearly having YET ANOTHER night where the two of them were pretty much useless. Abby should have been on the bench to start the second period, after letting in two creampuff goals and flopping around on the ice like a bass in the bottom of a boat more times than I could count. That game was painful to watch. If this keeps up, they'll have to scrap the 'Three Stars' selections and replace it with the 'Three Bums' selection. For tonight's game:

La troisieme derriere, the third bum....Michael Ryder.

La deuxieme derriere, the second bum...Saku Koivu.

Et la premiere derriere, the first bum...David Aebischer!!!

We're very fortunate that Atlanta lost tonight as well. Bob Gainey has to grow a pair of balls and get the courage to leave guys that aren't effective on the bench, no matter how well-paid/popular they may be. Give the extra ice time to a guy like Begin, who works hard every shift...not to guys who are coasting on past accomplishments.

I have never seen a goalie with so many technical faults and to be considered a starter! At first I thought Theo was back, then I realized, Theo has a better technical game. OUCH!!! Just a couple of the things I noticed:

1) Stance was way too wide, can't move that way!

2) Balance, nuff said

3) Positioning, shot goes off the end boards you kinda think the first step is to get set up for where the puck is going.... that is if you want to stop it

4) Following the puck into the body and around the rink!!

5) Recovery

Just a few, there are many more that we noticed, but I don't want to write an essay.

In short, Aebi has some work to do, I do hope it was nerves though. I mean following the Huet show on a new team is really tough. We have found that we do not have a platoon system, we have a #1 and a backup: Huet and Aebi respectively at least not for now. So on the plus, MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY, MMMMOOOONNNNNEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!! (Think of the apprentice!!)

Okay, Bob Gainey is clearly an incompetent coach. He kept running Koivu and Ryder out there shift after shift when they were clearly having YET ANOTHER night where the two of them were pretty much useless. Abby should have been on the bench to start the second period, after letting in two creampuff goals and flopping around on the ice like a bass in the bottom of a boat more times than I could count. That game was painful to watch. If this keeps up, they'll have to scrap the 'Three Stars' selections and replace it with the 'Three Bums' selection. For tonight's game:

We're very fortunate that Atlanta lost tonight as well. Bob Gainey has to grow a pair of balls and get the courage to leave guys that aren't effective on the bench, no matter how well-paid/popular they may be. Give the extra ice time to a guy like Begin, who works hard every shift...not to guys who are coasting on past accomplishments.

True true, there was more than just goaltending issues tonight. The bum system is actually catchy!! But where does Kovy fit?? Another misfit for sure, lots of stick skill, but not enough brains to pull it off!!

I must disagree with #2. Saku actually played a decent game even though he did not end up with any points. Definitely his best game since the Islander game right after the Olympics. This was the first time that he wasn't constantly fighting the puck and was setting up everyone, who just couldn't cash.

He hit bulis with a beauty centering feed, but bulis couldn't bury it. He hit Higgins with a nice flip pass that gave him a great chance and drew a penalty. He fed Zed in the slot for a shot but Fleury made the save.

I diasgree, Saku played a good but not great game tonight. He's definitely on the road back to being his old self. I thing that the olympic experience really took alot out of him mentally.

Ryder played much better than he has lately....but probably still deserves a bum award and Aebischer was just attrocious. He deserves some splinters in the ass.

I have been looking around this board for a while and I finally decided to post. I really hope that Gainey is not Houle over again (I know...I don't think that is possible). His track record as gm for the Canadiens has not been good up to this point and Aebischer is looking like another bad trade to add to the his questionable additions. I know its early for Aebischer but he did not play well at all tonight and I don't think he is the goalie that can take us to the next level. Anyway just my two cents I hope things turn around quickly before its too late.

Go Habs Go!

...and Aebischer was just attrocious. He deserves some splinters in the ass.

In defense of Aebischer, he is under a lot of pressure, just being traded to a city like Montreal, plus it has only been 2 games. Though if Huet was playing we probably would have won just because of that really bad goal that Huet let in where the guy didn't even really shoot. Another thing is that we ended up having four defense men for part of the game when Rivet hurt himself, and Boullion getting injured. We need to worry about our defense with Markov, and now Boullion (who did make that nice play in the 1st period) gone.

I have been looking around this board for a while and I finally decided to post. I really hope that Gainey is not Houle over again (I know...I don't think that is possible). His track record as gm for the Canadiens has not been good up to this point and Aebischer is looking like another bad trade to add to the his questionable additions. I know its early for Aebischer but he did not play well at all tonight and I don't think he is the goalie that can take us to the next level. Anyway just my two cents I hope things turn around quickly before its too late.

Go Habs Go!

Welcome to the board Red Light..

I have to disagree however, whether or not Aebischer does anything and i don't think he will be back with this club next season, in my eyes this deal is still a good one (provided BG forgets about playing Aebischer and rides Huet) simply because we saved so much money under the cap. This will allow us lots of room to go search for help up front or on D through free agency. As well, I believe this move was short term, because Danis will be ready to form a solid tandem with a newly re-signed Huet next year.

Of course all my opinion but cap space is that valuable and it's tough to get rid of a contract of that size (especially for a player currently injured). And lastly, whether or not Theo turns it aournd in Col. is irrelevant because he wasn't going to do it here.

Go home Aebischer!!! It's crunch time, the HABS need those points and no experiments in goal. The Suisse Cheese should ride the bench for the rest of the season and then he can search for a new team.

I don't care if he had some good games for the AVS - Huet didn't do anything wrong in his games, he deserves to play. We need a solid man between the pipes and no fluky goaltending with lots of spectacular saves. :puke:

I'm sorry guys but I looked at the goals and only the the last one did he actually look bad!... the second one was ugly but his stick got stuck in the side of the net after a collision!. all the other goals were bad luck and Pens all alone and with all the time in the world to shoot! (Abs fault? or the D's Fault?)

Abs had to play tonight! Gainey had no choice you dont put your newly acquired player vs the Canes and then sit him out for the rest!... Abs got work to do and Huet is our goalie for the rest of the season until and read well UNTIL Abs gets used to the new equipment and the team! Nothing can be deduced from this last game other than MORE practice and MORE time for Abs! NOTHING else! now if Abs had sucked in The Canes game too then this humiliating lose vs the Pens would be another issue!

Abs had to play tonight! Gainey had no choice you dont put your newly acquired player vs the Canes and then sit him out for the rest!... Abs got work to do and Huet is our goalie for the rest of the season until and read well UNTIL Abs gets used to the new equipment and the team! Nothing can be deduced from this last game other than MORE practice and MORE time for Abs! NOTHING else! now if Abs had sucked in The Canes game too then this humiliating lose vs the Pens would be another issue!

We don't need Aebi, we've Huet!!! What did Huet wrong to sit on the bench? He was clearly our Nr.1 since Théo went down, he carried the team to the wins ... Aebi can prove that he's good goalie next season but not with the HABS and not at this important time of the year! We've to catch the PO's and not give Aebi confidence.

We don't need Aebi, we've Huet!!! What did Huet wrong to sit on the bench? He was clearly our Nr.1 since Théo went down, he carried the team to the wins ... Aebi can prove that he's good goalie next season but not with the HABS and not at this important time of the year! We've to catch the PO's and not give Aebi confidence.

Youre mistaken to think Huet can handle that many games! He arguably can't ! he was burned a couple of games before. Unless we have a goalie that can at least play 1/3 of the games before playoffs ( I'm not saying we do or dont have right now) then we might have a chance with Huet in the first round of playoffs. But if he plays them all I could bet ya he wont have a full tank for the first round! Gainey made it crystal clear were playing with a tandem of Goalies not A One goalie show!

We should atleast play Huet while he's hot, why is Aebi starting 2 games when we've back-to-back games next week? Will Gainey play Huet 2 times or would it have been better to give Huet one and Aebi one?

I'd give Huet every chance in the so called "easy games" in the next couple of weeks. We'll surely win more than with Aebi in goal, who's still searching his stick from the 2nd goal.

I'm sorry guys but I looked at the goals and only the the last one did he actually look bad!... the second one was ugly but his stick got stuck in the side of the net after a collision!. all the other goals were bad luck and Pens all alone and with all the time in the world to shoot! (Abs fault? or the D's Fault?)

I think Abby will be a lot better, but please, no excuses.....don't defend him.....put Huet in, these games are too important.

I'm sorry but at the end of the day Abby was pure shit tonight..............

Youre mistaken to think Huet can handle that many games! He arguably can't ! he was burned a couple of games before. Unless we have a goalie that can at least play 1/3 of the games before playoffs ( I'm not saying we do or dont have right now) then we might have a chance with Huet in the first round of playoffs. But if he plays them all I could bet ya he wont have a full tank for the first round! Gainey made it crystal clear were playing with a tandem of Goalies not A One goalie show!

Well, if that's the case then there won't be a first round to have a full tank for.......... We are not in a situation to wait for Abby to get used to things.......I agree with you, but man Abby is stinkin. I hope he gets it together sooner then later.......

Watch Abby be the one to get hot, and take us to the finals after a burnt Huet gets pulled in the first 2 games of the opening round.

For the first time this season, and I've seen every game this year, I completely tuned out the third period. Miserable team to watch... they should be a lot better then they are.....this sucks.

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

No matter how bad Aebischer is, the Theodore trade was still a great one:

Even if Aebischer never does play well: we got rid of a very expensive bum and got a much cheaper bum in return, allowing us to free up the cap room to operate.

The thing about the Theo/Aebischer trade is Gainey made a mistake in signing Theodore to the contract in the first place. Yes the Habs wouldn't have gotten a goalie back if they hadn't signed Theo but right now I would rather have Garon in net. Hindsight is 50/50 but I am very disappointed in how Gainey is running this team at the moment. Things need to happen in the offseason or this team will continue to barely squeak into the playoffs year after year.

No matter how bad Aebischer is, the Theodore trade was still a great one:

Even if Aebischer never does play well: we got rid of a very expensive bum and got a much cheaper bum in return, allowing us to free up the cap room to operate.

Yea but then please ride the bench and not destroy the PO hopes.

The trade is only completed when Gainey is getting some real help on offence or defence during the off-season.

The thing about the Theo/Aebischer trade is Gainey made a mistake in signing Theodore to the contract in the first place. Yes the Habs wouldn't have gotten a goalie back if they hadn't signed Theo but right now I would rather have Garon in net. Hindsight is 50/50 but I am very disappointed in how Gainey is running this team at the moment. Things need to happen in the offseason or this team will continue to barely squeak into the playoffs year after year.

Garon instead of Huet? Thanks but no thanks ...

The trade looks pretty good in my eyes - Huet is performing and we should do everything to keep him.