Huet Is Slipping Off His Cloud

C-Love

I hate to state the obvious but Huet is not a number one goalie in the NHL. He never was and never will be. A lot of my friends kept asking what I thought of our new star, and my reply would always be, "I hope he can last until we clinch a playoff spot."

I also stated when we made the trade for Aebischer he would be the one who would take us down the stretch. He is a number one goalie and will get back on stride, I am hoping he gets the start against TO in the first game. I think he will surprise some people. This is crunch time, if we lose these two games it is over.

I know how unpopular these comments are for most people, but Huet is not that good, I remember watching him in the minors a couple of years ago and he was only okay there. If we go with him for the majority of the remainder of the season, I would guess we will finish 6 points out of 8th.

Oh yeah that's right....

Huet is in a real scoring slump these days if only he would've potted a couple of those great chances, we would've scored more than one goal and probably won the game......

Your conclusions are quite interesting.

Huet 2.23 GAA vs. Aebischer 3.07 GAA

Huet .927 sv% vs. Aebischer .897sv%

Huet has given up 5 goals in his last two games with 1 - 1 record

Aebischer has given up 10 goals in his last two games with an 0-2 record.

That's the statistical analysis, now for the observations. Huet is the only reason we are in a playoff spot. His rebound control is miles ahead of what I have seen from Aebischer in BOTH of his starts. Huet is better at handling the puck and the team trusts him and has confidence in him.

I think Huet has gotten us this far and should get the large majority of the games until he proves that he cannot handle it and to this point he has not only not shown that this isn't the case, but has shown that he can do the job.

THe problem is clearly not HUET....so PLEAAASE people stop trying to make it out that way. The team scored 1 goal do you expect a shutout every time he starts. C'MON.

Edited by gohabsgo252006

It's always nice to meet a true habs fan. It's habs fans like C-Love make me ignore half of the threads on this site. It's kinda funny though. From what I have read from different sites, this is how I see the difference between leafs and habs fans. If your a Toronto fan, your team can do no wrong in your mind. If your a habs fan, your team can't do anything right.

thats a good observation hab4life!

and thats why toronto hasnt won a cup in i dont remember how long!

because even though we havent won a cup in 13 years! we still strive for perfection!

go habs go!

canadiens arent out of this one... although i admit i am scared, but the way i think of it, better to be in a slump earlier than later because we dont want to be losing like this with 5 games remaining in the hunt.

First of all, no one knows what Huet is truly capable of. This is the only time he has been the #1 goalie for an NHL team. In LA, he was brought out from a European league (where he lit up the league) to serve as a backup and was never really tested.

I am a big fan of Huet because he shows true raw talent. He belongs in the SHOW. Are you aware he did not play hockey until 16? To even be playing competitive hockey at his age shows extreme natural talent. It's just a matter of Melanson tweaking his technique for the North American game.

Aebischer on the other hand has been a #1* goalie for his career in Colorado, never a #1. You never know who's gonna show up on night or another.

Hip Hip Huet!

Who ever has the power. please close this thread..........

This is complete bullshit.

Maybe but how about we just watch it for awhile and see where it goes?

It is a point that LA didn't consider Huet a #1 and wanted our backup Garon over him. But when you look at the stats this year you can't say Huet is bad, he's obviously good, maybe great, maybe just what we need. He has four shutouts in not a lot of games, a great save %, his puck handling is way better than Théo's, he costs like one-tenth as much.

He's not Brodeur, but even Marty has an off night now and then. Huet has not cost us a game and he has won us a few, so let's support the guy!

This thread is ridiculous. One or two bad games and we lose(well in this case C-love) all Faith! I see this all the time. One day someone is god, and the other day he's burned into the ground. Huet and Aeby are two good goaltenders, but can't do it alone. You think Huet would be redhot the whole end of the season.....

Ok i dont want to start a fight or anything cause Huet is the reason we are in the hunt for a playoff spot. He has played great. But i have to agree with c-love.

while he has kept us alive cause theo stank up the place alot this year. Nobody can seriously tell me that Huet is a better goaltender than Theodore. Just playing with more confidence.

Every game im thinking the same thing. Why dont they just shoot 5-hole? his legs are always open.

I just dont think he is capable of being a number one goalie for an entire season. he tires very quickly (IMO)

I mean brodeur and Luongo play pretty much the whole season and they dont seem to tire. Marty has been doing it his whole career pretty much.

A buddy of mine said Huet doesnt even look like a goaltender. (he was a leafs fan mind you) but i had to agree with him.

Now dont get me wrong i still think he has more confidence than aebi at this point and they should continue to ride him.

I just hope he can keep playing well for the rest of the season.

Now remember this is just my opinion you dont have to agree with it. but even when Theo played well and won people would say he still gave up a bad goal or 2. but yet when huet does it everyone says "well he cant score for them too" and he has been giving up some bad goals lately. 1 tonight and both goals against the caps were weak. montrealk hasent been able to score for the past 12 years or more.

And dont say well theo made 4.5 million dollars/year so he shouldnt give up bad goals. it happens to all goalies salary makes no diferrence. a bad goal is a bad goal no matter what you make. Its just i think huet gets a free pass because Theodore was just run out of town. what about next year the first slump we go through and the backup whoever it is gets a start and wins are we going to send Huet packing then cause he is bound to get a big raise this year... will the bad goals suddenly be unacceptable then?

Brboo

While i can see your point about running a goalie out of town, I disagree with your assessment of Huet as a goalie. He does look slow on occasion but I'm starting to think it's because he's always in such good position he doesn't have to move so much. His rebound control is outstanding, and as someone who watched him a few times with the Kings, he is much much more composed now. About his 5 hole I haven't noticed that, but in the same idea....it didn't take an NHLer or an NHL coach to figure out what THEO's weakness was, even when he could stop a beach ball, the upstairs was always open.

I'm not saying he's the answer to all of our goaltending problems, but I will say that he is a solid tandem number 1A, for next year.....for now he is clearly imo the #1...He has the confidence of the team and has gotten them this far. Of late he has let in some goals that were more questionable...but he is still keeping the team in the games.

As for his raise...Don't expect it to be anything extravagant. I imagine he will sign a deal similar to what Tim Thomas of the Bruins just signed, as Thomas is 2 years older and just as unproven, but having a great year. Thomas signed a 3 year deal at 1.1 per year and I imagine Huet would comman about 1 per year.

For now I saw GO HUET GO Lead us to the playoffs, but if Aebischer does make a start I will support him too, because most importantly WE ALL WANT THE SAME THING AND THAT IS A HABS VICTORY.

But i think the criticism of Huet is a bit unfounded, let things play out, before you doubt him. Until now there is nothing ot complain about the way he has played.

Edited by gohabsgo252006

Come on guys Huet is the reason the Habs are in the hunt.

All goalies give up bad goals.

Huet and Aebischer are both good goalies.

Huet had a full week off I am sure he has been a little rusty I noticed it too but please do not get on his case to soon. Do not ride him out of town.

The Habs are still in control of their own destiny they need to start scoring with a little more frequency and continue to play tight checking defensively.

Without Markov this team really struggles, it seems as though the Habs can never win without him in the line-up so let us all hope Markov plays both games against the leafs.

C-love appears to be categorizing a goalie based on his past, i.e. he's never been a number one, so he can't be now. Players continue to develop and improve, and can make the jump to a higher level, and hopefully that is the case with Huet. It's still too early to tell, but his play this year is encouraging. BTW-many posters make the same mistake with Bouillon, IMO. Because of his past play as well as his stature, he's pigeon-holed as a 6th or 7th d-man, even though his play this year certainly puts him in our top 4 (and most other team's top 4, too). But that's for another thread, I suppose.

I am in a bad mood too, however, I am not going to make rash decisions on Huet's play. He is playing really well and that is what I want in a goalie. I have not heard any Devil fans jump on Marty's play after allowing 12 goals in two games. Why do we?

I am in a bad mood too, however, I am not going to make rash decisions on Huet's play. He is playing really well and that is what I want in a goalie. I have not heard any Devil fans jump on Marty's play after allowing 12 goals in two games. Why do we?

Because Marty Brodeur is a proven goalie. It's easy to forget a few bad games from Marty when you remember the Stanley Cups he's brought to your city.

I like Huet and all, but lets please not put him in the same category or context as Brodeur.

Edited by chief_balthor

For the last time people please, goaltending is NOT the problem with team. Unless you expect the goalie to clear the zone and score some goals. Goaltending has been the only reason this team wins over the past few years, first Theodore now Huet. Both have had poor games here and there but unless the goalie is the #1 star every night this team doesn't win. How about calling out the Captain, Rivet or other people not producing.

The problem with the Habs right now is not goaltending. Like everything else it could improve but for now it is really pretty good.

The big problem is the forwards are not scoring, nor are they helping out in the defensive zone enough.

Look at who has been scoring in the past few games.

Souray, Dandenault, Komasarik (#1), Streit.

While these players do not account for all the goals, Ryder, Perezhogin if you subtract the goals scored by defencemen lately this team would not be only one point back of Atlanta.

First of all......Huet is the ONLY reason for the following:

1. We are in the playoff hunt

2. Gainey having enough confidence to trade Theo and his fat lump sum of a contract

3. The team brandishing a new level of confidence which stems from huet

4. He has won us at least 5 or 7 close games

5. Not getting bombed anymore in games

6. Players being less frantic to create offense because they are ALWAYS, and i mean ALWAYS in games because of huet keeping it close

The list goes on as huet has carried this team on his shoulders since theo left us in the gutters!

So, abischer looses 2 games, one in which we should have won, huet comes in and we win against washington, and when he loses one game, someone decides to make a negative thread about him?

I am completely and utterly LOST as to why C-love cant stop hating and start lovin :D

One game...even a game in which they were in until the final buzzer because of who esle.....HUET.... can stem this type of negative speculation. Why cant we just accept whats goin on and ride the HUET-MOBILE while its got gas left in the tank

Huet has the potential to be our number 1 goalie for a while, as long as he keeps his mind on track, realises that he is playing good, and blocks out the negative criticism like "hes never gonna be a number one goalie" or "his five hole is his weakness" or "he slow and allows weak goals".

I am the first to admit i have seen huet let in a weak goal or 2, but no goalie is perfect and when he lets in one of those weaklings, (like the one against Toronto where he passed it right to the leaf player and they scored) he comes right back and playes with twice as much determination and heart, as he then slid across the crease to litterally ROBB ponikarovsky of a Freebie!

HIP HIP HUET!!!!!!

also GO SUDBURY WOLVES!!!! PLAYOFF TIME BABY BEAT THOSE FRONTENACS!!!!!

Edited by umpalumpa55

It seems that the team and fans get on Huet when we lose or he doesn't get a shutout. The team in front of him is the problem. I think Huet is a good goalie, but the team has to score more than one goal a game in order to win in this league.

Last nights game was pathetic, one goal against the lowly Islanders, a team thats missing there number one defenceman in Zhitnik. It seems that the only players that score on this team anymore are the defence.

I liked the lines when we were on that winning streak after the olympic break.

The line that seemed to be playing really well together was the Bulis, Plekanec, and the Zednik line, I dont understand why they were split up.

Anyways, now we play Toronto, a team that we always struggle against in back to back games. Huet may not be a Number One goalie but he isn't falling off the cloud, he just needs some offensive help from players like Koivu, Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, etc....

This thread made me laugh! Take huet's name out, insert Theodore, same thing 5 months ago. Unfortunately for Theo, and Huet they can't score goals themselves to help their cause! The bottom line is that if we don't get some offence going we will be on the outside looking in. The goaltending with Huet and Aebischer will be more than enoughn if some of our so called snipers could hit the net. We need more out of Koivu, kovalev, ribeiro, ryder etc if we have any hope of appearing in the post season.

This thread made me laugh! Take huet's name out, insert Theodore, same thing 5 months ago. Unfortunately for Theo, and Huet they can't score goals themselves to help their cause! The bottom line is that if we don't get some offence going we will be on the outside looking in. The goaltending with Huet and Aebischer will be more than enoughn if some of our so called snipers could hit the net. We need more out of Koivu, kovalev, ribeiro, ryder etc if we have any hope of appearing in the post season.

That's exactly what I thought too.

We need some goals in order to compete, because you can't win alot of games 1-0 in this league.

I officially don't really care for Montreal anymore this year. They don't deserve to make it. I'm getting the same resignation attitude from my habs friends around the office where I work. So what if we make the playoffs? We can visit the Canes - Yippee-yi-yo Cow Patty! Might as well put the Tampa Bay 2004 series tape in my VCR and watch that instead. It'll be about as enjoyable.

:(

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

The Habs are struggling somewhat for one simple reason: Markhov is hurt. That's the beginning and the end of the story. This team simply cannot win without its number one D-man.

Huet is clearly a legitimate goalie, the question is his ceiling. Can he carry a team for a whole season? Or is he a 1A guy? Now's when we find out, it seems to me. Either way, though, unless Abeischer suddenly loses his grip, Gainey's got it covered.

The Habs are struggling somewhat for one simple reason: Markhov is hurt. That's the beginning and the end of the story. This team simply cannot win without its number one D-man.

Too true and it really seems like it's the only reason right now. We need a 2nd d-man like Markov, hopefully Gainey will get one this off-season. If not, then we'll keep fighting for an 8th PO spot for the upcoming seasons.

The only other hope would be if Komi will become the d-man everyone hoped he can be. Markov - Komisarek really is a good pairing but Komi still has to prove something.