Rds Commentators

chief_balthor

This is just something I need to get off my chest. Agree or disagree, I'd like to get the opinion of other regular RDS viewers who get to watch the game severy night.

I'm really getting sick and tired of the way they are constantly bringing down Ryder during games. I understand he's had an up and down season, but c'mon. If someone makes a bad pass to him, it's his fault cause he couldn't control it ("Une autre mauvaise réception de passe par Ryder"). If there's an offside, somehow he's always to blame (goes too slow, goes too fast, doesn't pass, should have passed...). He and Higgins are battling in the corner for the puck, it's always his fault when they lose it. I think they need to realize that it's only his second year in the league and he still is our top goal scorer this season. Sure he's to blame for some of the things I've mentioned, but it's just a relentless attack against him every night by Pierre et Yvon that I just can't take it anymore.

Sorry bout the rant. Like I said, i just needed to get this off my chest.

I agree with you Ryder is one of their whipping boys, that said Ryder does make plenty of mistakes on offside’s and I do wish he would share the puck more or at least take higher percentage shots. But his effort has skyrocketed over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I just want him to score a few even strength goals before the playoffs start.

To be more precise, if they need a whipping boy, it's a non-French person they point to. I can't watch the bullcrap broadcasts anymore because they look for any tiny little thing that Koivu does wrong and point it out, yet when Their Deity makes even the simplest play, they're praising him as the Next Coming. It's not just limited to the broadcasts either, if you go to the website they take every opportunity to praise Ribeiro and put down Koivu that is available. Sometimes it's very subtle, but the bigotry on RDS is becoming more and more apparent as each day passes. It's pretty sad too because there was a time when Pedneault could have been considered one of the most intelligent hockey men around. Now that he lets bigotry enter his commentary, though, it's become a joke. Now, perhaps my commentary is harsh, but it's time to call a spade a spade, or in this case, a group of bigots a group of bigots.

Consider that, during Koivu's slump, they took every opportunity to comment about how the captain wasn't scoring and how he wasn't pulling his weight. Contrast that with the slumps Ribsy has endured where they either praise him for the small things he does right, or just don't comment on the things he does in order to minimalize the criticism they have to put on their hero. It's farcial. Ryder, despite being the leading scorer on the team, gets absolutely no respect from the RDS crew, to the point that they even marginalize his goals indicating that any two-bit hack could have scored in that position. The only player, right now, who has managed to avoid any significant criticism is Higgins, and that's because he's either too new to the scene, or he hasn't challenged the place on the team of a French player. Once that happens, you can be pretty much guaranteed that the gloves will be off on RDS and everything he doesn't do perfectly will be exposed and highlighted by Bigotry Is Us (RDS).

And don't even get me started on Demers - a man I used to admire. He's well on his path to the Bergeron depths of bigotry and a place on 110% in my opinion. The only impartial commentator on the entire broadcast, in fact, is the other fellow (whose name escapes me at the moment) who used to give les plus cordiales des bienvenues to the viewing spectator for the last five years until someone told him that was getting old. Demers, guaranteed, is going to be bemoaning the trade of Theodore for the next year because he's such a solid goalie and because - and he won't hide it either - he's French, and the Canadiens need a superstar French presence.

I hate to boil down negative commentary to pathetic bigotry, but if you pay attention to the trends and have watched RDS for the last pile of years like I have, it's quite evident that the French issue is huge. It's a shame, it has no place in hockey, and it's the number one reason I barely watch games anymore and, in fact, have lost most of my interest in the game of hockey.

To be more precise, if they need a whipping boy, it's a non-French person they point to. I can't watch the bullcrap broadcasts anymore because they look for any tiny little thing that Koivu does wrong and point it out, yet when Their Deity makes even the simplest play, they're praising him as the Next Coming. It's not just limited to the broadcasts either, if you go to the website they take every opportunity to praise Ribeiro and put down Koivu that is available. Sometimes it's very subtle, but the bigotry on RDS is becoming more and more apparent as each day passes. It's pretty sad too because there was a time when Pedneault could have been considered one of the most intelligent hockey men around. Now that he lets bigotry enter his commentary, though, it's become a joke. Now, perhaps my commentary is harsh, but it's time to call a spade a spade, or in this case, a group of bigots a group of bigots.

Consider that, during Koivu's slump, they took every opportunity to comment about how the captain wasn't scoring and how he wasn't pulling his weight. Contrast that with the slumps Ribsy has endured where they either praise him for the small things he does right, or just don't comment on the things he does in order to minimalize the criticism they have to put on their hero. It's farcial. Ryder, despite being the leading scorer on the team, gets absolutely no respect from the RDS crew, to the point that they even marginalize his goals indicating that any two-bit hack could have scored in that position. The only player, right now, who has managed to avoid any significant criticism is Higgins, and that's because he's either too new to the scene, or he hasn't challenged the place on the team of a French player. Once that happens, you can be pretty much guaranteed that the gloves will be off on RDS and everything he doesn't do perfectly will be exposed and highlighted by Bigotry Is Us (RDS).

And don't even get me started on Demers - a man I used to admire. He's well on his path to the Bergeron depths of bigotry and a place on 110% in my opinion. The only impartial commentator on the entire broadcast, in fact, is the other fellow (whose name escapes me at the moment) who used to give les plus cordiales des bienvenues to the viewing spectator for the last five years until someone told him that was getting old. Demers, guaranteed, is going to be bemoaning the trade of Theodore for the next year because he's such a solid goalie and because - and he won't hide it either - he's French, and the Canadiens need a superstar French presence.

I hate to boil down negative commentary to pathetic bigotry, but if you pay attention to the trends and have watched RDS for the last pile of years like I have, it's quite evident that the French issue is huge. It's a shame, it has no place in hockey, and it's the number one reason I barely watch games anymore and, in fact, have lost most of my interest in the game of hockey.

I watch all the games on RDS because thats the only way I get to see the team unless they play the Leafs. After reading this, I'm glad I don't understand French. Sounds pretty pathetic.

Makes me glad I can't speak French. I watch the games on RDs and ignore the chatter. They tend to keep the crowd loud in their audio mix so it is fine by me. Don't care for most announcers opinions as they all tend to be biased. Unlike me.

I heartily endorse Colin's assessment. That they've ragged relentlessly on Koivu is ridiculous, and their inclination to forgive Ribeiro in particular is grotesque. I like Mitch Melnyk's argument...this is the first time in a decade that the French media have exactly ZERO influence over Habs management, and they don't like it one bit.

At least Demers refrains from ATTACKING English players; his failing lies in the tendency to romanticize French guys. That's easier to swallow than, say, the unforgiveable attacks delivered on Koivu by much of the french media for his supposed 'manque de leadership' for much of this season. If it were up to these guys, we'd be a team of 100% francophones, and last overall.

The worst of the group is Norman Flynn, get your head our of Bouillon, Begin, Dandenault and Ribeiro's ass already.

I'm not that familiar with Norman Flynn since I rarely listen to pre/post game analyses, especially not in French, but he can't be worse than Michel bergeron. When I'm on the road, I sometimes put CKAC on just to see what kind of idiotic comments this guy will make. His blind and biased love for Ribeiro and Dagenais is just weird at times, and a couple weeks ago, I heard him use the exact same comments he used to to support Dagenais to bash on another player (can't remember who it was).

There's one guy on CKAC that's not so bad, and who seems to at least try to be objective, and it's Dany Dube.

Well as koivu being my favorite player i agree that the ugly french media is like that, if your not french you dont belong to the team.its discusting i hate all the people from the rds crew, maybe not demers as much because he was the last coach to win us a cup.

But i dont understand french :) so when i watch the games on rds the only thing i like is how they yell and the noise of the crowd, and i dont listen or even try to pay attention to the frenchmen because they never have anything good to day. But ryder i have to say is too much one dimentional and i really wouldnt mind if he was traded for something reasonable, for all the good prospects coming up like, latendress,kostystin,maybe chipchura dont really need him; he has no dekeing skills doesnt use his frame as much as he can but he has a lil more recently and is too much of a hog.

Now the Ribiero hmmm do i like him....answer is no i really dont like him mainly because all these french habs lovers that know hardly nothing about the game say hes an all star even tho mid way through out the season he was terrible and wasnt even worth a bag of pucks, many also dont realize that kovalev is who he is playing with how many people that play with kovalev will have a bad game...not many with all the skills that guy has..its incredible.

Also if ribeiro would have been traded at the dead line i wouldnt have cared much, for i think plek can take the role of second line center ( good offensive skills and good defensivly) unlike ribiero, but if ribs keeps up what he is doing now with out kovalev on his line then maybe he wont be so usless, but then again i would have to here the french praise his name " OHHHH RIBIEROOOOOO" wheather he screws up or does something good.

All i have to say at the moment after my ranting :) is GO HABS :hlogo: , AND GAINEY GET SELANNE IN OFF SEASON :king:

Edited by koivu-11

I sympathised with you CHIEF_BALTOR,..with COLIN,..with you all.

You most likely all have good points,..its easy with RDS cause they are Bad Across the Fuc-- Board.

RDS overall presentation of our CH games is of an excruciatingly low standard and chief among the endless list of irritants for me is having to put up with in-house'' analyst '' Yvon Pedneault.

RDS overall presentation of our games is overblowned, inflated of insubstantialitys and

skewed all at once,.....while Pedneault is nothing else for me than pure distortion.......an un-happy mix of

excess, self-importance and self-indulgence.

They have hightjacked our games and they are deprived of any sens of self-critism,...........how to bypass them...........how to get rid of them......those are for me the only questions I would be conscerned about

finding answers.

Excuse the virulent nature of my critic, its unusual,... but I feel kidnapped and like Colin I sometime feel like letting go of my flame cause of RDS.

Edited by PB

first of all "letting go of the flamme" cause of idiots like pednault and the other guy im fed up as much as you guys...i wish there was a mute button and only here the ice noice and the slapshots...and another point about The commentators is there uncunditionnal love for the other teams when ours isint playing well....look in the first period of the last game (5 - 3) against the sens how they were always commenting how the habs sucked and the sens were magicale and all over them...Fu..Ck i see all the other sports channel always dissing the canadiens and when i watch are " channel of the habs " they diss them as much...just fed up of that too

and as for Ryder...he isint playing his best hockey...im a fan of the Knight Ryder....even got is McFarlane figurine...but hes just not playing his best hockey

n e ways

Go habs GO

I noticed that once they get frustrated they start bashing every little thing. Like if someone takes a stupid penalty for the Habs then they get mad and for the next couple of minutes a missed past becomes a pass "complètement rater" and stuff like that. I noticed they also tend to bash Bulis a lot for being a Euro who takes too many penalties. I think the only Euro on the team that they like is Kovalev and probably only because he's learning French. Ryder is their ultimate whipping boy though.

they can say bad stuff agains french players...maybe you just don't want to see it.

perhaps you should listen to a more objective guy: cherry

I HATE Pedneault.

Besides that, I disagree that the french media tries to protect the french players, They do say that we should have more francophones in the team, but when one of them comes in and he makes mistakes, he's all over the paper. The french crap goes both ways, they praise a french canadian that performs well twice as much as anyone else, but they also get twice the load of crap when they do something wrong. During the Canadiens' slope, I remember french medias all over Ribeiro's back, Theodore has been bashed quite a bit too. Dandenault was one of the worst players of all time in their opinion. I watch french T.V. all the time and understand everything they say, believe me it's not always pretty for french canadians!

They I tell you that I HATE Pedneault, I think he needs thicker glasses.

RDS commentators are just like most bad fans. When a player produce they are like :"Ma parole, qu'Il est bon!!!". But as soon as they make a mistake they (most of the time Yvon Pednault who is there to 'analyse') start is usual bashing. He was very tough on aebischer performance even when goals were not his fault. Sometimes its just better to put mute on

I have made obvious my disdain towards the CH's coverage by RDS and the Duo from

Hell. Yvon Pedneault (commentator) is an over the top tactless pedant of the loudess

variety while Pierre Houde (descriptor) is out of focus most time prefering petty side talks

over adequately describing the drama on the ice.

The plaisure of watching a game trought their innaprropriate interferences is a challenge,...just read about

some minute exemples as provided by BULISTHEABBYS and PHABULEUS earlier and than extend the experience throught a 2 hour period,...it can be an exhausting situation.

Despite the often pompous tone and negativity of those two, I will not accused them of being selective

in their targets,......they are clumsy dont forget....so it could at anytime sound that way to someone.

As for Jacque Demers between periods.....unlike those two bozos,...he is a real experience hockey man....

and of the most respectuous variety I might add......no silly game here at annyone expenses.....but he

might get a little more affectionnate towards Quebecois,.....specially the one playing away in the NHL.

i second the disdain for the RDS guys - Yvon Pedneault in particular.

i didn't notice the non-french tangent but i've been tired of their Habs bashing in general for a couple of years now. a guy gets the puck in front of the net and he "missed another goal!!!" even though there were four guys on him and the goalie made a spectacular stop.

i'm only watching them because they're the only ones i get [ for now ]. would switch the audio to AM if i got the feed on my home system.

crappy monday morning quarterbacks who shit on our team when the going gets tough but are proud, flag-waving fans when the Habs are winning. they make me sick.

Edited by lull

RDS guys are just ignorant, period. They know shit about the League. They're suck-ups.

Say what you want about Pedneault, but he's in the freakin' Hall of Fame, no kidding. How did that happen?

Gimme good old Pierre Bouchard and the guy with a mustache (dont remember who) that used to do the Habs game on TQS. Bouchard had seen it all and wouldnt kiss any player's ass (and was funny as Hell); and the other guy used to describe Nordiques game so he was sort of an outsider. The production quality was weak, but those two guys were great, unbiased and actually fun to listen.

Funniest quote I can remember is Habs-Sabres playoffs series, the Habs were shooting from everywhere and after getting bombarded, Darren Puppa was very slow to get up and Bouchard quipped "Puppa en peut pu!" Hilarious.

they can say bad stuff agains french players...maybe you just don't want to see it.

perhaps you should listen to a more objective guy: cherry

Cheap shot. I despise Cherry as much as I despise their nativism; I hate anyone who allows ethnicity and raw bias to distort their assessment of performance. True, they do say bad things about French players, and they say do nice things about non-French players. But the general pattern is to inflate French talent and be, in an almost cyclical way, abusive of specific non-francophones (e.g., Koivu. Yes, he deserves criticism when in a slump. But to go from there to systematically questioning his leadership? Come ON). Does anyone remember the way they all went berserk when we traded our best defensive defenceman, Lyle Odelein, for Stephane Richer? 'BIEVENUE STEPHANE!!!' Meanwhile, no mention that we had just gutted our D of its toughest, steadiest performer and leader. Then they expressed surprise on-air that Odelein went on to become a key cog on the vaunted Jersey defence, doing EXACTLY what he did for the Habs. Or, they used to crap all over Turner Stephenson - same deal, get rid of him, he's nothing...just a Cup winner with the Devils and blood-and-guts contributor. How about Mike Keane? ENEMY OF THE QUEBECOIS NATION, run him out of town. And all he did afterwards was win Cups. F**king idiots.

i second the disdain for the RDS guys - Yvon Pedneault in particular.

i didn't notice the non-french tangent but i've been tired of their Habs bashing in general for a couple of years now. a guy gets the puck in front of the net and he "missed another goal!!!" even though there were four guys on him and the goalie made a spectacular stop.

i'm only watching them because they're the only ones i get [ for now ]. would switch the audio to AM if i got the feed on my home system.

crappy monday morning quarterbacks who shit on our team when the going gets tough but are proud, flag-waving fans when the Habs are winning. they make me sick.

When turning the Reseau Des Sport (RDS) in derision french speaking people like to call it

le '' Reseau Des Sots '',....that might translated like.....'' the idiots network''.

I knew we where in trouble when the Reseau Des Sots had aquired exclusive rights to all the Ch's games,...

big troubles.

I knew they would super charged the screen with screaming colors and stupid statistics and give the

microphone to the shouting and screaming voice of Pedneault.

Despite all the insanitys, I agree with LULL that the bashing Pedneault like to indulged himsel in is

basically '' color free ''.

I would recommend strongly by-passing the audio by the radio,...and CKAC, AM, is a great choice.

Danny Dube is a top noch commentateur,....you actually learn from him....just as it should be.

I guess its probably a good thing more people don't speak french outside of Quebec. Or there'd probably be more uproar about the bashing of Non francophone players by the RDS announcers.

Doesn't matter, they'll all be kissing Ryders ass, when he scores 3 game winning goals against Ottawa or Carolina....

Being originally from Montreal, I have had the pleasure of listening to announcers like Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin on CBC or Rene Lecavalier on RC. Those were the days that where a game was an unbiased view of two teams to get a broad range of information on the teams and their players which made it fun to watch and listen too.

Now, as I live in Toronto (Mississauga), we see the pendulum has swung to the far right where CBC/TSN is nothing more then LeafsTV (never mind there are 5 other Canadian teams :huh: ) while RDS is trying to ensure that French Quebec is THE province when it comes to broadcasting a match (take what you will of that) :blush: .

All I can say now is I do like the rest of you and ignore the diatribes that the annoucers offer and just watch the game itself as best as I can by focusing on the game itself! At least it still a great game to WATCH! :D

Ok... I can get off my soapbox now! :wacko:

Edited by riker

I guess its probably a good thing more people don't speak french outside of Quebec. Or there'd probably be more uproar about the bashing of Non francophone players by the RDS announcers.

Doesn't matter, they'll all be kissing Ryders ass, when he scores 3 game winning goals against Ottawa or Carolina....

If Ryder scores 3 game winners someone else better get the 4th for us or we are doomed. Not to state the obvious but...