Sens Or Canes?

ch_nl

Is it going to be the Ottawa Senators or the Carolina Hurricanes?

Senators

Oct 11 2005, Tue HOME Senators 4 - 2 Lost

Oct 27 2005, Thu AWAY Senators 3 - 4 Lost OT

Nov 29 2005, Tue AWAY Senators 0 - 4 Lost

Dec 20 2005, Tue HOME Senators 3 - 4 Won SO

Jan 7 2006, Sat HOME Senators 1 - 4 Won

Jan 26 2006, Thu AWAY Senators 0 - 3 Lost

Apr 6 2006, Thu AWAY Senators 5 - 3 Won

Apr 10 2006, Mon HOME Senators 2 - 3 Won

Total score this season: 17-23

Hurricanes

Dec 31 2005, Sat AWAY Hurricanes 3 - 5 Lost

Jan 23 2006, Mon AWAY Hurricanes 3 - 7 Lost

Jan 31 2006, Tue HOME Hurricanes 8 - 2 Lost

Mar 16 2006, Thu HOME Hurricanes 5 - 1 Lost

Total score this season: 9-25

I want the Habs to face Ottawa Senators and not the Canes. Anyone have a different opinion?

* Edited the post after I made a clumsy misstake...

Edited by ch_nl

Rangers will face the Senators in their last game. If the win they will have 112 points and Ottawa will have 111.

And if Montreal finnish 7th shouldn't they play the team finnish 2nd?

Or have I missed something?

Rangers will face the Senators in their last game. If the win they will have 112 points and Ottawa will have 111.

And if Montreal finnish 7th shouldn't they play the team finnish 2nd?

Or have I missed something?

If the Rangers win they will have 102 points not 112. Rangers are fighting for their own division title.

You are so right. My bad. ( I have been on vacation during the last weeks and with no Internet or teletext I haven't been able to follow.)

But now I see. Canes or Sens it is. Well that's an easy one too if you ask me.

Ottawa will be much easier than Carolina. Head to head we're much better vs them than vs Carolina and Ottawa is bruised. Getting healthy but bruised. Hasek is out, Emery is sore and Morrison hasn't impressed me much. All it takes is some toughness and big hits by guys like Bouillon and Begin and they'll be worn down by the time the series draws to an end. The Sens are also renowned chokers and the only player traded from that core was Hossa and in return they got someone who's never been to the playoffs (we'll see if he chokes but I doubt it). Our big guys also seems to step up against Ottawa but everyone falls asleep whenever we play Carolina.

Ottawa's the obvious choice, imo.

I want the 'Canes... Ottawa is getting healthy and they will win the Stanley Cup. The Hurricanes chemistry hasn't been as good since they acquired Weight and Recchi. I think they're the lesser of two evils.

Emery has been pretty shakey as of late. The sens arent as confident or cocky as they were at the start of the season. in my opinion they are ripe for the picking.

Neither one makes me feel cozy and warm - you know...... fuzzy all over!

If absolutely forced to choose then I'll take the Sens and Emery any day over the Canes.

Anything is possible, but they just seem to own the Habs this year, and I have the sinking feeling that that one will be four straight and say fore!

You lads are underestimating the Sens. We played very depleted Sens teams lately. No Redden or Chara in both, I think. Havlat is back now. Too many offensive magicians on that team and basically unbeatable in a 7 game series. And they're resting other key ingredients like Emery who is a superb young netminder.

Well which ever team the habs play lets hope they can step it up and play to win rather then not to lose. I think that has been the problem for several years. The style of play currently is much better. Also the D really need to step it up in there own zone, moving the puck quickly and making quick outlet passes. Plus Carolina doesn't have Cole, the habs killer. With the new additions Carolina made i think they are slower and there goaltending like the Habs will be a question mark until someone steps up.

Regardless of what happened during the regular season, I would prefer facing the Hurricanes. Ottawa is a far better team on the ice, but they have had problems all season long with injuries and other personal problems. However, with the exception of Hasek, they will have an almost full lineup to face us, including Martin Havlat to boost their secondary offense production. Hasek' injury will hurt them, but Emery is not much less effective than Martin Gerber anyway.

As for the Canes, they have a great success because most players have played at nearly 100% of their potential; Staal exploded with a huge sophomore season, Erik Cole never produced like he was before he went down (this huge habs killer won't be playing), Justin Williams is playing far above even the Flyers' expectations when they drafted him, Stillman is having a huge season, Gerber, Cullen, ... I really doubt the Canes can get any better in the playoffs, but they can however slow down considerably (not saying they will); if they don't, at least we know exactly what we're facing. Also, when Staal got into a little slump, the team was struggling, so a lot of their success comes from a single player.

As for the Sens, they have been great, and they CAN get even better now that some key guys are back. Also, they have great depth at all positions, and even though you might stop their huge first line, the Havlat line, or even the Vermette forth line can still hurt you.

Besides, that would give us a chance to get our revenge from last time we faced the Canes in the playoffs...

Edited by CerebusClone

Is it going to be the Ottawa Senators or the Carolina Hurricanes?

Senators

Oct 11 2005, Tue HOME Senators 4 - 2 Lost

Oct 27 2005, Thu AWAY Senators 3 - 4 Lost OT

Nov 29 2005, Tue AWAY Senators 0 - 4 Lost

Dec 20 2005, Tue HOME Senators 3 - 4 Won SO

Jan 7 2006, Sat HOME Senators 1 - 4 Won

Jan 26 2006, Thu AWAY Senators 0 - 3 Lost

Apr 6 2006, Thu AWAY Senators 5 - 3 Won

Apr 10 2006, Mon HOME Senators 2 - 3 Won

Total score this season: 17-23

Hurricanes

Dec 31 2005, Sat AWAY Hurricanes 3 - 5 Lost

Jan 23 2006, Mon AWAY Hurricanes 3 - 7 Lost

Jan 31 2006, Tue HOME Hurricanes 8 - 2 Lost

Mar 16 2006, Thu HOME Hurricanes 5 - 1 Lost

total score for senators is 24

as for montreal against ottawa is 20

so...but at the beginning of the season we had theodore...he did play one good game...but the canes have always whooped are arses...so the choice should be obviese ...

I'd rather face Carolina even if we didnt do well vs them this season. The Senators scare me...with Phillips, Chara, Redden, ALffredsson, Spezza, Heatly...yeah Carolina plz.

Also, Gerber seems to have lost some of his momentum at the moment AND they dont have Eric Cole, whom is a huge habs killer!

You lads are underestimating the Sens. We played very depleted Sens teams lately. No Redden or Chara in both, I think. Havlat is back now. Too many offensive magicians on that team and basically unbeatable in a 7 game series. And they're resting other key ingredients like Emery who is a superb young netminder.

Against Carolina: Their speed, their forwards and their apparent-"can't nobody beat us attitude" scares me.

Against Ottawa: Their defensemen and their "let's show everyone we can play in the playoffs" mentality scares me.

I really believe if we can shut down Alfredson and one of Spezza and Heatly we can control their offense. We've shown many times if take one line and concentrate them on a single line of the opposition (Begin/Downey on Ovechkin, Bonk/Begin on Sundin, any line vs. Thornton/Murray/Knuble in '04) we can limit the opponent's "reknowned offense". Ottawa's shown that if Alfie isn't leading them, they aren't as powerful offensively.

Carolina it seems we can't stop them. We haven't played them, I don't think, with Cole out of the lineup, but the whipping they've given the Habs, it isn't good mentally to face them.

The only thing about Ottawa is their verson of the "Big Three": Chara, Redden, Phillips. Let's include Volchenkov, and their new one that starts with an M. and you have the best top 5 in the league.

The fans at the Bell can get on Emery without a doubt so he's not a worry.

So, Carolina vs. Ottawa:

Goalie: Without Hasek, it's a toss-up

Defense: Ottawa hands down the biggest challenge

Forwards/Offense: Easier to shut down Ottawa's Big three than Carolina speedy "5 or 6"

Mental Edge: Easier to play Ottawa with our recent success (regardless of the circumstance) than to play the 'Canes who have beat us down all game, every game this season.

Emotion: Habs always play big when emotion is a critical factor. The weekend series versus the Leafs was huge for both teams and both fan bases. The players felt it and they delivered. The Bruins series in 02 and 04, the players delivered again. IN the second round both times, there wasn't that much emotion and there was a let down. There would be huge intensity in the OTtawa games over the Carolina games come Friday.

My vote: Ottawa

Where are the Bruins when we need 'em?

LOL

IMO, it doesn't matter... We're gonna have to play and beat both anyway! :D

GO HABS GO!!!

GO HABS GO!!!

:hlogo:

Some more stats...

Since my girlfriend asked me what the odds were of my Habs playing her Sens in the first round, I was compelled to figure out what they were.

I calculated each possibilty (i.e., MTL, OTT, TB, & CAR either winning, losing, or losing in OT). In the event of a tie in the standings, I figured that OTT wins the tiebreaker (bigger GF/GA differential) and TB wins (due to more wins) I hope that is all correct.

So after a good 20 mins of number crunching, we are left with less than impressive results. In 13 of the 24 scenarios, MTL will face off against OTT.

So... It is 54.17% likely.

CAR 112 112 112 112 112 112 112 112 113 113 113 113 113 113 113 113 114 114 114 114 114 114 114 114

OTT 111 111 111 111 112 112 112 112 113 113 113 113 111 111 111 111 112 112 112 112 113 113 113 113

MTL 93 93 94 94 95 95 93 93 94 94 95 95 93 93 94 94 95 95 93 93 94 94 95 95

TB 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94

OTT-MTL? Y N N Y N N N Y Y N N N N Y Y Y Y Y Y N N Y Y Y

Wish I could get that time back.... :D

Edited by lazy26

Some more stats...

Since my girlfriend asked me what the odds were of my Habs playing her Sens in the first round, I was compelled to figure out what they were.

I calculated each possibilty (i.e., MTL, OTT, TB, & CAR either winning, losing, or losing in OT). In the event of a tie in the standings, I figured that OTT wins the tiebreaker (bigger GF/GA differential) and TB wins (due to more wins) I hope that is all correct.

So after a good 20 mins of number crunching, we are left with less than impressive results. In 13 of the 24 scenarios, MTL will face off against OTT.

So... It is 54.17% likely.

CAR 112 112 112 112 112 112 112 112 113 113 113 113 113 113 113 113 114 114 114 114 114 114 114 114

OTT 111 111 111 111 112 112 112 112 113 113 113 113 111 111 111 111 112 112 112 112 113 113 113 113

MTL 93 93 94 94 95 95 93 93 94 94 95 95 93 93 94 94 95 95 93 93 94 94 95 95

TB 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94 92 93 94

OTT-MTL? Y N N Y N N N Y Y N N N N Y Y Y Y Y Y N N Y Y Y

Wish I could get that time back.... :D

HEY...As long as you spent that time working on your calculations for the HABS then thats fine by me, and probably the rest of Habsworld. Its posts like these that are a joy to read.

HEY...As long as you spent that time working on your calculations for the HABS then thats fine by me, and probably the rest of Habsworld. Its posts like these that are a joy to read.

Thanks habsfan88!