1st Round: Canes Vs Habs (preview Thread)

puck7x

(Not a game thread... spidey can start one at a later date)

Round #1: Montreal Canadiens vs Carolina Hurricanes

Record vs the Canes this year: 0-4-0

Goals for / Goals againsts: 25-9 for Canes

So... looks we got spanked this year by Carolina in the regular season. So that means we're screwed in round-1 right? Well, I'm not so sure about that. Lets take a look at some facts...

Fact: Theodore started 3/4 of those games for the habs (Abby started the last one), including a 7-3 loss, and an 8-2 loss (Huet replaced him in both games). Theodore was playing his worst hockey of the year at this point (the 2nd and 3rd games vs the Canes) and put the habs out of the game before they even had a chance to get in it.

Fact: We played without Markov and/or Kovalev for at least 2 of those games... I think we all know just how important these players are to the team. We're basically 100% healthy now (Begin will definitely be ready for game #1 in my opinion)

Fact: habs killer Eric Cole is injured, and will not start the playoffs (unknown when he returns)

Fact: The Canes have had a very average finish to the season, while the habs (aside from the last 2 games) have been on fire.

So what does this all mean? Nothing. The playoffs are a whole new season, thats the point I'm trying to make... I'm just saying, that anyone who thinks we dont have a shot of beating the Canes is crazy... Anything can happen in the playoffs.

So... predictions anyone?

Edited by puck7x

Well that makes me feel better about things!

The only prediction I will make is that Koivu will have an olympic performance. Which will spill over onto Higgins and Ryder.

Watch out for Koivu.

Who is starting in net?

Huet seems the obvious choice but Gainey has done some odd things regarding our goalies lately. Will Abby get the start?

Habs in 6! :D

We'll steal one of the first 2 games in Carolina... then win both our home games to make the series 3-1... Carolina will come up big in front of their home crowd in game 5, but Montreal will put the final nail in in game 6 to send krazed fans to the streets of downtown Montreal... :D.

We'll play Ottawa in the 2nd Round.

You know, IF we someone manage to get by the Canes and into the 2nd round (I'm not taking anything for granted, its going to be really really tough) , the Sens would be the best opponent possible for the Habs to face in my opinion. Cause the way things are shaping up it looks like NJ should have no trouble with NYR (The Devils are on fire, Brodeur is the most clutch goalie in the world, the Devils have more playoff experience then pretty much any team) and I'm guessing the Sabres squeak by the Flyers... which means the Sens/Sabres/Flyers advance to round #2. Of those teams if your the habs who would you rather face? We've had tons of trouble with the Devils and Sabres, those teams are incredibly frustrating to face, I'll take the Sens thanks.

... though, I am really really getting ahead of myself. Tampa could beat the Sens, the Rangers could beat the Devils and we might get swept in 4, stranger things have happened.

Edited by puck7x

Habs in 6! :D

We'll steal one of the first 2 games in Carolina... then win both our home games to make the series 3-1... Carolina will come up big in front of their home crowd in game 5, but Montreal will put the final nail in in game 6 to send krazed fans to the streets of downtown Montreal... :D.

Ottawa is going to loose to Tampa. Hasek is a mental case and he won't be able to play.

Bye bye Sens

My only prediction is that Aebischer will probably start... hes got the playoff experience. However, Huet may be ready to make up for tonight.

:hlogo:

Canes Depth

LEFT WING

Cory Stillman

Ray Whitney

Andrew Ladd

Erik Cole *IR

CENTER

Eric Staal

Rod Brind'Amour

Doug Weight

Josef Vasicek

Kevyn Adams

RIGHT WING

Justin Williams

Mark Recchi

Craig Adams

Matt Cullen

Chad LaRose

DEFENSE

Bret Hedican

Niclas Wallin

Aaron Ward

Frantisek Kaberle

Mike Commodore

Oleg Tverdovsky

Glen Wesley

Anton Babchuk

GOALTENDING

Martin Gerber

Cam Ward

(The chart is from yahoo, with some names added by me... so its a bit off most likely... I put it together quickly)

Well, the offense is definitely Carolina's strenght, its downright scary. The D on paper looks very weak, and when you look at their total goals against I guess it is true, they've got no stars on D, but they are strong as a unit of 6. The Canes dont win alot of 2-1 games, they win 6-4 games.

Edited by puck7x

Fact: Theodore started 3/4 of those games for the habs (Huet started the last one)

Im pretty sure that Aebischer started the last game against the Canes, meaning that Huet has yet to start against them this season.

My biggest fear about Carolina is their depth at forward, i think we have the better defense and definitely the better goaltending, but they are ridiculously deep up front. Thats nothing new for us though, the Bruins have been pretty stacked up front the past couple years and we had no problems with them.

BTW i really hope this doesnt end up like our series back in 02 did, that was probably one of the most depressing times of my Habs life.

I dont know why, but I'm expecting the Habs to go far in the playoffs. Just some gut feeling. There's something about the team this year that just reeks of "Cinderella".

I'm especially feeling confident having Gainey & Carbo behind the bench. I think our biggest edge is there.

We also owe one to the Canes for 2002. Karma's a bitch.

Matinee Well I will say Habs in 5, anything less and the 2nd round will be HELL.

The Habs can beat the Canes I am confident in that.

Huet is yet to start against them!

Erik Cole is out (hopefully for the first round). I do wish him a full and healthy recovery (never like to see anyone get hurt)

Gainey and Crabo will hopefully be able to out coach Laviolette.

Im pretty sure that Aebischer started the last game against the Canes, meaning that Huet has yet to start against them this season.

1st game- 5-3 Canes -Theo

2nd game- 7-3 Canes- Theo 5 goals, Huet 2 goals

"Once Ladd scored after Theodore fell during a scramble in the crease for the 5-1 lead, Gainey pulled the netminder in favor of Cristobal Huet about 9 minutes into the period."

3rd Game 8-2 Canes-Theo 5 goals on 10 shots, Huet 3 goals

"Theodore, who was pulled for the third time in four starts, allowed five goals on 10 shots. He was replaced by backup Cristobal Huet, whose last name was chanted by some in the sellout crowd after Theodore was beaten by Cole on Carolina's first shot just 5:24 in."

4th Game 5-1 Canes, Abby 5 goals.

"David Aebischer, Gerber's teammate with Switzerland's Olympic team, made 36 saves as he lost his Montreal debut. Acquired from Colorado in the March 8 trade that sent Jose Theodore to the Avalanche, Aebischer backed up Cristobal Huet - who ended a streak of 14 straight starts Thursday - for his first two games with the Canadiens.

"It doesn't really matter who you're facing," Aebischer said. "It's great to have an opportunity to play against a team like that and unfortunately we came up short tonight but that's one game. We have to put it behind us and look forward because there are a lot of tough games coming up."

So needless to say. Start HUET!!!!!!!!!!

He can handle the Canes. And please Begin get well real soon.

Call me crazy but if the Habs start Huet. SWEEP

If they start Abby Habs in 5. Huet comes in on the 2nd game after Abby loses the first one.

.........The Canes are suckin pretty bad right now...............hope they keep it up.......

Oops, your right. My mistake, I'll edit.

Schedules are out!

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/04/269288.html

Game 1: Saturday, April 22nd 7:00 PM Montreal at Carolina CBC, RDS

Game 2: Monday, April 24th 7:00 PM Montreal at Carolina CBC, RDS

Game 3: Wednesday, April 26th 7:00 PM Carolina at Montreal CBC, RDS

Game 4: Friday, April 28th 7:00 PM Carolina at Montreal CBC, RDS

Game 5: Sunday, April 30th 7:30 PM Montreal at Carolina CBC, RDS

(If necessary)

Game 6: Tuesday, May 2nd 7:00 PM Carolina at Montreal CBC, RDS

(If necessary)

Game 7: Thursday, May 4th 7:00 PM Montreal at Carolina CBC, RDS

(If necessary)

Some Quotes about the Buf-Canes game recap.

The Hurricanes are headed the other way, losing for the fourth time in the final five games to settle for second in the East. Goaltender Martin Gerber hardly has been sharp down the stretch and gave up at least three goals for the seventh straight.

So that about the goaltending comparison.

Hurricanes LW Erik Cole, who missed his 22nd game with a fractured vertebra, will have a CT scan on Wednesday to see how he's healing.

And thats the latest news on Cole, hope he won't make it against the Habs

I have Faith in the Habs. It will be a hard fought win, and a close one.

Thanks puck!

Thats awesome, I'll only miss two games due to work!

Habs win in 6!

Higgins will led the way scoring like crazy, while Komi will play some tight heavy D.

Perezhogin reunites with Kovalev and the second line and first line score like nothing we've seen before.

Bonk and Begin score 3 short-handed goals, 1 of which is the game winner.

Montreal takes the first 2 games against the canes

Game 1: 6-5 Habs in OT

Game 2: 3-0 Habs (Huet plays amazing)

Then the canes come back and win one

Game 3: 4-1 Canes

Montreal wins the next

Game 4: 7-1 Habs (Kovalev 2g, 3a, Perezhogin 3g, 1a)

Carolina stricks back

Game 5: 5-3 Canes

Montreal finsihed it out at home! :)

Game 6: 2-0 Habs (With the crowd chanting HU-ET! all night long) ;)

Montreal plays Ottawa which will be the best series in the East.

Montreal beats Ottawa

Montreal beats Rangers

Montreal plays and beats Calgary in the best playoffs of the century.

:hlogo:

That was fun :D

Canes in 5.

Because unless Gainey inserts a firecracker into the collective arse of the Habs, we're going to watch Carolina skate past us and to the SC Finals.

Although good work picking up the weak points, hope we can use 'em.