Game Thread | Canadiens Vs. Hurricanes | 04/24/06

Spider-Man NL

Is Ray Whitney back??

you probably have this already, but from TSN:

Hurricanes forward Ray Whitney practiced with the team for the first time in two weeks at the morning skate. He's been out since April 5 with a lower-body injury and remains day-to-day. It is unclear if Whitney will be able to make an appearance in this series. - Durham Herald Sun

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All! I really ragged on Frankie B. all year, but his shot blocking is pretty good and that asset will get more important as the series rolls on. I'm interested to see how the Canes come back, I haven't seen choke goal tending like that in a while. Anyway, I can't wait for tomorrow, lets see the Habs stick to the game plan. I wouldn't write Gerber off, he's put up huge games since being in Anaheim, the capability is obviously there. Go Habs Go! Just play your game!

Edited by mclusky

I also read somewhere about Ray Withney getting back in action for the next game.

Hurricane will be a better team with him specially in power plays.

But if the CH keep playing with the cohesion, the skating, the gritt and the confidence like they did on the first

game while keeping themselves away from the penalty box a little better than they did.....they well

could resist the all out assault awaiting them on what would essentially be Carolina's most important game

of their whole year.

EXCITING TIME !

My pre-Auditing Final Exam prediction:

Canadiens 4 Ryder, Rivet, Ribeiro and Murray in empty net

Canes 2 Brind'Amour, Adams

Huet will come up big, but he won't have as many shots as last game and the Canadiens score 2 in the first, Canes score 1 quick in the 2nd and the Habs late in the 2nd. Score remains the same until with less than 1 minute left, Murray puts it in an empty net.

Go HAbs Go.

I read that Whitney will be back but he won't make a difference. He's good but not that good and besides, he's forcing a return from a groin injury...how well can he play?

Most players that come back early from a groin injury are not productive at their return.

Go Habs Go !!!

Carolina is 14-0-1 this season when Whitney scores a goal.

I beleive those stats are half coincidental/half based on actual fact so take it for what its worth.

An excellent opportunity to get a strangle hold on this series. A good solid effort, keep shooting those pucks at Gerberm he looks shaky, and this could very easily be 2-0 after tonight. If not. Were still in awesome shape heading back to Montreal.

Habbers need to be ready for Carolina coming out flying.

I know we won 6-1 in the last game... but we were outshot and outplayed. I wouldn't expect a similar game from Gerber. The Hurricanes are a good team, but obviously not as good as the one from the earlier part of the season. The Weight/Recchi deals messed with the chemistry and Erik Cole getting hurt was tough. But if we keep giving up 40+ shots we will lose more than we win. Then again, a win by Montreal tonight and we're gonna be tough to hold down when we head home. I'll be cheering mightily for my Habs tonight but I'll be surprised if we pull out back-to-back wins. I see a 4-2 Canes wins. Here's hoping I'm wrong. :)

An excellent opportunity to get a strangle hold on this series. A good solid effort, keep shooting those pucks at Gerberm he looks shaky, and this could very easily be 2-0 after tonight. If not. Were still in awesome shape heading back to Montreal.

Habbers need to be ready for Carolina coming out flying.

The problem though is that Montreal has never shown that killing instinct this season, whether to win a single game, or to ensure their place in the playoffs. Tonight, they have a chance to come back home with a huge 2-0 advantage in the series, however I get the feeling they will fail... but I really hope I'm wrong!!

4-1 or more, at least a 3 goal margin, a loss of course.

I love my Habs, but really, no-one spanks a team like that and is allowed to live and fight another day.

I expect a ruthless forechecking, with a revamped BBC line that tears apart Sheldon "Pylon" Souray and Craig "the Divet" Rivet.

Go Habs Go?

The problem though is that Montreal has never shown that killing instinct this season, whether to win a single game, or to ensure their place in the playoffs. Tonight, they have a chance to come back home with a huge 2-0 advantage in the series, however I get the feeling they will fail... but I really hope I'm wrong!!

No killer instinct? What about when we blitzed Toronto in back-to-back games, hmm?

Anyways, the only reason Whitney MIGHT create a difference is that he has a right-handed shot, unlike any other Cane forward. Thus, their powerplay MIGHT be more potent than on Saturday.

Also, I feel that Gerber's confidence is low right now, despite what he's been telling the media. If we can get a few quick goals on him, or even just score first, he'll be toast à la Lalime-style.

Another thing will be the officiating. Hopefully it will be similar to the previous game, with about no more than four or five powerplays per side, instead of a combined 18 powerplays like there have been in some of the other games... :puke:

Edited by dark_faerie87

A few points:

We did give up a ton of shots 1st game, we have to stop that, but they were not quality chances. Even the biased 'Canes announcers said the play was not reflected in shot total.

We did finally show some killer instict. We didn't just sit back on a 2 goal lead.

We need good team defense to support our D (3rd guy high). This also gives our D the opportunity to step up early on the 'Cane rush, preventing opportunities to get beat by their speed.

Gonna be tough game to win but we can do it. 'Canes will come out flying again, as last time first 5-10 minutes will be key. No panic if they score early.

Go Habs Go

A few good points there. The habs did play hard for the last 50 minutes or so in that game. Shots on goal will have to be reduced. The habs will also need to fire more at Gerber, i hope he stinks like in game 1 but i doubt that will happen. I would put Downey in instead of Sundstrom, toughen up the team. Even though Sundstrom had a few points he took 2 stupid penalties. Downey doesn't make those mistakes, and is just as relaible defensively. If Rivet and Souray don't figure out how to play D, take the body and move the puck the habs are in trouble. They were schooled all night, i don't care if Souray had a meaningless goal at the end, he was horrible. It's not going to happen but i would bench him for Simpson 1 game. Even though they didn't score i liked the pleks line as well, they played very hard. The habs will have to bring a better game tonight. Carolina will be ready.

I think that the canes are going to give alot more attention to Kovalev now, probably double cover him, so this should be Ribiero's chance to shine. He should have alot more room out there, especially on the power play. This is his chance to have a big game.

Also, with the canes still having last change, it will be interesting to see who they match up against Koivu's line compared to Kovalev's line.

????

"I think we've taken a step up. We're cats now." - Kovalev on the habs losing their status as underdogs...

cat-fly.gif

thats a funny pic man

Invaluable Huet opens up - a little

JACK TODD, The Gazette

Monday, April 24, 2006

Asked yesterday if there was a strong rivalry between the two Swiss League clubs for which he and Gerber once played, Huet shook his head. "No," he said. Then his eyes flashed as fiery a glance as you will ever see from him. "But Switzerland and France, yes."

Tonight at the RBC Centre: Switzerland vs. France, deuxieme ronde

Bonne Chance Cristo!

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4997

Canadiens - Hurricanes: Game 2 Preview

playoffsprevheader600EN.jpg

Canadiens lead best-of-seven series 1-0

RALEIGH – Despite their opponent’s best attempts, the Canadiens braved the Hurricanes’ storm in the opening game of the best-of-seven series Saturday night, exploding for six goals in a 6-1 win. The club will look to return home with a 2-0 series lead when they face off for game two tonight at the RBC Center.

Making his first NHL playoff start Saturday, Cristobal Huet outdueled Swiss counterpart Martin Gerber, kicking aside 42 of the 43 shots he faced, including 19 in the second period. Held to 21 shots, the Canadiens took advantage of their opportunities, going 2-for-3 on the power play. Alex Kovalev led the way with two goals and an assist, while 12 of his teammates also found their way on to the scoresheet. Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec and Francis Bouillon each collected their first NHL career playoff point.

Montreal is 56-8 lifetime when winning the first game in a series, while the Hurricanes, since moving from Hartford, have taken a series only once in three tries when dropping the opener.

Going back for seconds: This year marks the seventh playoff series between the Canadiens and Hurricanes/Whalers since Hartford joined the NHL in 1979-80. Over their six previous postseason showdowns, the Canadiens are a perfect 6-0 in Game 2, outgunning their long time Adams Division rivals 30-13.

Nordiques Nostalgia: Prior to their 6-1 victory over Carolina Saturday night, the last time the Canadiens exploded for six goals in a playoff game was back on April 28, 1993, when Montreal downed Pierre Pagé and the Nordiques 6-2 at the Forum to eliminate Quebec in six games. The five-goal margin of victory over the ‘Canes was also Montreal’s most lopsided playoff win since Jean Perron’s Canadiens crushed Michel Bergeron’s Nordiques 7-2 at the Colisée on April 24, 1987.

4997_1.jpg

RALEIGH - The Canadiens will be looking to bring home a 2-0 series lead when Game 2 of their opening round matchup with the Hurricanes gets underway, tonight at the RBC Center.

Invaluable Huet opens up - a little

JACK TODD, The Gazette

Monday, April 24, 2006

Asked yesterday if there was a strong rivalry between the two Swiss League clubs for which he and Gerber once played, Huet shook his head. "No," he said. Then his eyes flashed as fiery a glance as you will ever see from him. "But Switzerland and France, yes."

Tonight at the RBC Centre: Switzerland vs. France, deuxieme ronde

Bonne Chance Cristo!

Mr. Jack Todd is dramaturgically correct on that one, as always.

There is nothing quite like having our Habs in the playoffs and reading Todd's collumns

during the fabulous adventure.