Ryder In Ot

Nilan25

I too agree about Beliveau1's comments. This wasn't a Cup winning team, and they got in the first round by a team that finished well above them in the standings. Pretty much played as they should have been expected too (I had very low expectations for Ribeiro), and unfortunately none of our key players really stepped up, so we got what we derserved.

The encouraging points are that all the young guys played quite well. Plekanec and Perezhogin both displayed some great things on that third line even though their efforts didn't translate into many goals, Higgins played some very good overall hockey, and Komisarek played some great defense. All these guys could become part of the teams' core next season, and deserve to get more responsibilities.

Hopefully, we'll see another wave of good quality youngsters begin their career in Montreal, including Kostsitsyn, Lapierre, Danis, perhaps Chipchura later during the season. With some luck, maybe a forgotten prospect like Locke, Milroy, or Archer will impress everyone at training camp to provide us with some good quality depth.

Edited by CerebusClone

I too agree about Beliveau1's comments. This wasn't a Cup winning team, and they got in the first round by a team that finished well above them in the standings. Pretty much played as they should have been expected too (I had very low expectations for Ribeiro), and unfortunately none of our key players really stepped up, so we got what we derserved.

The encouraging points are that all the young guys played quite well. Plekanec and Perezhogin both displayed some great things on that third line even though their efforts didn't translate into many goals, Higgins played some very good overall hockey, and Komisarek played some great defense. All these guys could become part of the teams' core next season, and deserve to get more responsibilities.

Hopefully, we'll see another wave of good quality youngsters begin their career in Montreal, including Kostsitsyn, Lapierre, Danis, perhaps Chipchura later during the season. With some luck, maybe a forgotten prospect like Locke, Milroy, or Archer will impress everyone at training camp to provide us with some good quality depth.

Yeah I've been kinding thinking about this and after reading comments by Gainey saying that he thought the team played as well as they are capable of playing, I'm kinda upset. This team needs an upgrade if the best it can do is 4 straight 1 goal losses, where they never managed to score more than 2 goals. Thats kinda upsetting.

But yes, the young kids played well and things looking promising for the future in Montreal.

Since when is Locke a forgotten prospect? It was only his second year in Hamilton. Nobody has forgotten about him. Kostitsyn has played two years in Hamilton, and he hasn't been forgotten.

And I doubt you'll see Chipchura in Montreal next year. Montreal will play him a full year in Hamilton, and then some before he ever makes the step to the big club. Won't see him in Montreal till '07/08 MINIMUM....maybe the year after even

Gainey always takes the high road. Look at his actions, he signed numerous players to 1 year deals, all but Ryder will be gone i think. Murray isn't going anywhere. He let Julian coach as long as possible before firing him, Carbo was always his top guy. They will need to sign 2 good D and a quality defensive coach. I think next years team will look alot alot different then the current one. Out with the old in with the new. Gainey is very calm and calculating, he doesn't make huge waves and plays things close to the best. Gainey and Carbo will sit down in a few weeks and discuss the team and it's players to see who stays and who goes. I'm glad he is running the show.

I hate to play the blame game but I will. Ryder was directly responsible for that goal in overtime. He failed to clear the puck in his own zone on the wing (as usual) and then compounded the error by not getting the puck deep in to the offensive zone when he had full control of it. Guys that have to go Bulis, Zednik, Dadenault, Sundstrom. Also, deeply disappointed by Perezhogin's play in the playoffs. Just awful. Markov not exactly the star he should be during these last 4 gamed either.

Give it up. The season's over... time to move on.

Everyone makes mistakes. One mistake doesn't lead directly to a goal unless its a goalie who's absent from the net or a player shoots the puck into his own net. It takes a sequence of events that allows for a goal to be scored.

Give it up... move on.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Since when is Locke a forgotten prospect? It was only his second year in Hamilton. Nobody has forgotten about him. Kostitsyn has played two years in Hamilton, and he hasn't been forgotten.

I might have used the wrong word, but I doubt anyone sees Locke on the Montreal roster anytime soon, unless we get a lot of injuries. He's small, not a great skater, and unlike Ribeiro, he's not from Quebec so the organization probably won't be anywhere as patient in his case.

Andrei Markov really disappointed me this series. The Souray haters picked on Souray, but at least he led all defensemen in the league in scoring during the first round. Markov played like the defenseman version of Mike Ribiero. Komisarek looked far superior.

I think the habs were great!!!!!!!

Played great and kept games close right to the end. We have a strong foundation with great kids coming up to support our habfan future for at least a few years. A couple of changes and we'll be a stronger more competitive team. If it wasn't for Theo I think we would have been challenging Carolina for first the whole entire season.

Great things are coming our way as fans. Gainey will make sure of that.

As for All you negative freaks who are worse then the Montreal media, only because every time someone farts, you make a thread here. Only to find out it was bullshit

anyway.

Why? after such a great series, do you all want to trade the whole ######ing team.

Crazy......................

Or maby you clowns want to be like the Boston Bruins. Would that make you happy?

Thank-you Habs

For salvaging what looked to be one of our worst seasons ever, a few months ago!!!

That's definitely true. The Habs looked absolutely terrible at that point and I'm glad the team at least made it to the playoffs. Hopefully we can become a true challenger for the cup asap, the clock is ticking on the drive to win a cup for each decade.

Everyone makes mistakes. One mistake doesn't lead directly to a goal unless its a goalie who's absent from the net or a player shoots the puck into his own net. It takes a sequence of events that allows for a goal to be scored.

Love ya for that brilliant deduction Shortcat1......

I've been saying for years that most hockey fans for some reason or another fail to see just what the real cause of a goal is?

Most see the last player to touch it and automatically blame that individual. When in fact the majority of goals scored are in reality a chain of events resulting from a breakdown much earlier in the sequence.

A winger fails to cover his man, which then causes a teammate to move out of position to compensate, and that draws a defenceman off his man, and so on and so on until the puck ends up in your net. There are a million variations of that sequence, and the last guy to make the wrong move is the one that pretty much everyone blames? There are exceptions where one mistake ends up in disaster, but more often than not it's 2, 3, even 4 mistakes removed from the final shot on goal.

Shortcat1 - you're a fellow in the union of mistake spotters! B)

Edited by beliveau1

Looking back, we were severely outgunned at the forward position.

We lost Koivu, they were without Cole....so call that a wash.

Then, after that:

They've got Eric Staal, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Rod Brind'Amour

We've got: Kovalev (and, stretching a bit based on past performance, Zednik)

That's it, that's all, in terms of big-name forwards. One damn guy, possibly two if you stretch a bit.

That put it into perspective for me.

Give it up. The season's over... time to move on.

Give it up... move on.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Absolutely agree!

:hlogo:

Andrei Markov really disappointed me this series. The Souray haters picked on Souray, but at least he led all defensemen in the league in scoring during the first round. Markov played like the defenseman version of Mike Ribiero. Komisarek looked far superior.

Yeah, I was disappointed in Markov's play as well. I really thought he'd step it up, but he was quite ordinary, except for the last game where he played quite well. (Saying he was Ribeiro-bad is a bit too much, though). I agree with your comments on Souray as well - I thought he played some inspired hockey.

Markov may not have been all that great offensively, but defensively he was excellent. There were a number of times he was one on one with a Carolina guy and shut him down. The guy can't do it all.

Then, after that:

Not to mention that in games 3 and 4 they had the refs with them as well.

Did you see how in the last two games the refs started calling the goalie interference penalty? Where was that call when BrindAmour scored in game 3 or 4. The guy was all over Huet, who couldn't get back into position, because the guys stick was between his legs. He wasn't there becuase a Montreal guy pushed him there either.

That was just as bad as the non call on Koivu.

I remember watching the play live and when Ryder was going across the blueline I was saying "dump it in, dump it in" and then as he gave it up i yelled "Ryder had to dump that puck in".

I was impressed with what Ryder showed the last half of the 5th game and most, if not all, of the 6th game, but I don't know why he was trying that play on a line change in OT facing elimination...safe to say it was a maturity mistake..I doubt he'll do that again.

Then, after that:

We've got: Kovalev (and, stretching a bit based on past performance, Zednik)

That's it, that's all, in terms of big-name forwards. One damn guy, possibly two if you stretch a bit.

That put it into perspective for me.

I disagree with being severely outgunned. You didn't mention Ryder 30 goals, Higgins 23 goals, Bulis 20 goals. Doug Weight had 6 goals, he didn't outgun anyone. By the way, we outscored them in the series and if you take away the first game they scored 3 more goals. Severely outgunned I think not.

I disagree with being severely outgunned. You didn't mention Ryder 30 goals, Higgins 23 goals, Bulis 20 goals. Doug Weight had 6 goals, he didn't outgun anyone. By the way, we outscored them in the series and if you take away the first game they scored 3 more goals. Severely outgunned I think not.

Take away the first 3 goals of game two as well, they were Gerbers.

So actually they scored 6 more goals.

La Presse is a bit unreliable mind you (what with their false claims of Koivu returning from the eye injury).

I'll admit calling Markov a Ribiero-esque player is a stretch. But Montreal needed him to step up and play as the best defenseman on the club. He didn't seem to have any competitive fire in him this series, sort of went through the motions defensively but didn't play as well as he can. Didn't look anywhere near the once upon a time mentioned for Norris player.

I thought Markov played well defensively. Offensively, he could have stepped up. But so could have Ribeiro, Bulis, Zednik, Bonk, Begin, Higgins, Ryder, Murray, Rivet, Perezhogin, Plekanec and probably a few others.