Fifa World Cup

sakiqc

World Cup 2006  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you cheering for? (Poll choices sorted by current winning odds)

• Brazil
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Italy
    • France
    • Holland
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Czeck Republic
    • Sweden
    • Mexico
    • Ukraine
    • USA
    • Serbia
    • Ivory Coast
    • Poland
    • Switzerland
    • Australia
    • (Other)

there has been a soccer backlash by the conservative media here. They've called it un-american.

Unbelievable.

Anyway heard a report that hooligans have been on good behaviour.

Maybe they have finally grown up.

What? Do you have a link?

How the heck is soccer un-american?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because America's national pastime is so much better. A bunch of fat men dress in their pajamas to see how far they can hit a little ball.

I love both sports, don't get me wrong. But I'll take the finesse and strategy of soccer over baseball any day of the week.

I hate the Rams stadium, it just looks boring. Actually I just hate the Rams.

I'd absolutely love to go to a Jets game though. Not only to see my team but to be with other Jets fans. They're insane.

I'll only watch baseball if the Red Sox are playing, otherwise I have no interest in the game. Same with golf, I'll only watch if Tiger is making a run. Actually it's the same with basketball too, I'll only watch the Pistons or Raptors. I love to watch college basketball though, doesn't matter who plays.

Basically hockey, football, soccer and tennis are sports I'll watch no matter who is playing. (Tennis is Women's only though ;))

Italy scores an own goal and then a couple minutes later get red-carded.

De Rossi should receive a suspension for that elbow. Disgusting.

What a RIDICULOUS red card on Matreoni. There have have been tackles like that throughout the tournament then were either yellow cards or no cards at all. Heck, he even got a piece of the ball! I can't believe they made that call.

Anouncers called it a makeup call, but that's silly. There was nothing to makeup for! The Italian red card was certainly warranted.

What a RIDICULOUS red card on Matreoni. There have have been tackles like that throughout the tournament then were either yellow cards or no cards at all. Heck, he even got a piece of the ball! I can't believe they made that call.

Anouncers called it a makeup call, but that's silly. There was nothing to makeup for! The Italian red card was certainly warranted.

Agreed. The ref is whistle happy..........

Then again, these are two very physical sides. :lol:

No he didn't, he was nowhere near the ball. It was a ridiculous tackle that shouldn't of happened. Red card was warranted.

No he didn't, he was nowhere near the ball. It was a ridiculous tackle that shouldn't of happened. Red card was warranted.

Bad luck. Sucks for him because his world cup is over if Italy wins.

I have the game on tape and I went back and watched both the Mastroeni red card and Pope red card fouls. In both cases, the tackle was dangerous, coming from the side. HOWEVER, in both cases, they got the ball. Both were fouls because they were a bit dangerous, and I can understand Pope's yellow card, and obviously the mandatory red card. Mastroeni, on the other hand, was completely screwed over. He clearly got a small touch on the ball as he came in for the tackle. At most it should have been a yellow for being dangerous, but a red card for that tackle is an AWFUL call. Not even close to being warranted.

I've never seen a game so poorly officiated. The ref couldn't keep his hand out of his pocket. He went straight to the cards without as much as a warning, even early on. The linesmen were poor too. At least a few times the Italians were called for offsides when they clearly were onside. The refs absolutely ruined this game.

In the post game show, they mentioned that in 2002, Jorge Larrionda (the head official) had been suspended from reffing the World Cup for "irregularities" in his officiating. Clearly, he should never have been allowed back into World Cup competition.

I don't understand why Arena didn't subsitute Johnson for McBride. Brian was clearly tired, and with only 9 men, they needed the extra speed. Perhaps if Johnson had come in, the 2nd goal might have counted. A tired McBride wouldn't have been caught behind the defence.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Well if it were dangerous plays, does it matter that the got the ball too? I'm not sure it does, and I don't think it should. Is it OK to take someone's leg off if you hit the ball first? Not in my opinion.

Red cards are for fouls when there is an obvious attempt to injure a player or take away a good scoring chance. Yellow cards are for plays which are dangerous, but no obvious scoring chance is taken away and there is no intent to injure. Both Pope and Mastroeni committed fouls that at most were yellow cards. They weren't trying to hurt anyone, they weren't taking away a scoring chance, and the tackles were only mildly dangerous.

Sure, they were not clean, but they certainly were not dirty tackles.

And yes, it does matter whether or not they got the ball. You can take a player down if you're making a play on the ball. In both cases, they got to the ball and the player at the same time. Half a second late. It's not like they were late tackles and nowhere near the ball. Cards like these are ridiculous. Soccer is a rough and aggressive sport, and those plays were aggressive, but in no way dirty. When you are that close to making a play on the ball, a yellow can be tolerated, but a red card is silly.

VAMOS DECO!!! 199026.jpg

VAMOS RONALDO!!! 201200.jpg

VAMOS PORTUGAL!!!

3834863199.jpg289442135.jpg4281614277.jpg3469732440.jpg3310555928.jpg

Shortcat, if you like Portugal, then you should make a trek down to civilization (!), specifically my neck of the woods - Cambridge, Ont. There's a huge Portuguese population here, so you'll be among friends! After their first win, I thought they had been awarded the World Cup the way they were celebrating - horns a honkin', flags a flying, etc. Crazy.

I can't wait for the Holland - Argentina game.

Go Dutchmen!!! (Interesting to see they're leading the poll, by the way)

I can't wait for the Holland - Argentina game.

There will be a totally different dutch team. All the players that have already a yellow card wont play, cuz it's to dangerous they get another one and cant play in the 1/8 finals.

we play with:

Jaliens - Bouhlarouz - Ooijer - De Cler

Sneijder - Vd Vaart - Cocu

Kuijt - VantheMan - V Persie

Yes i know Bouhlarouz already has a yellow card, be we have to take that risk cuz otherwise we dont have any defenders on that place. If we lose him,we got Matthijssen to take his place. But i prefer Boula, the guy is great. His nickname in Germany (he plays for HSV) is Cannibal!