Fifa World Cup

sakiqc

World Cup 2006  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you cheering for? (Poll choices sorted by current winning odds)

• Brazil
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Italy
    • France
    • Holland
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Czeck Republic
    • Sweden
    • Mexico
    • Ukraine
    • USA
    • Serbia
    • Ivory Coast
    • Poland
    • Switzerland
    • Australia
    • (Other)

I'm still in shock...

Well I'm going to come to the defence of Zidane. He's done bone headed penalties before because some player apparently would comment on his religion. (that's what happend in Soul I believe). And I have a feeling thats what happend here. If that was the case so much about this world cup being the anti-racism games.

Oh really? What religion does he belong to?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, shocking play by zidane! What a bad way to end an awesome career! it's like if Gretzky would slash someone on the face .. I don't understand! And there's no explanation to give.. you NEVER do things like that.

It was a great game overall. An injury to Henry after 45 seconds, 2 goals in the first 20 minutes.. lot of excitement

Nothing can clear such a behaviour. Whatever you say, you don't try to hurt someone or try to get him out of the game. Materazzi isn't the cleanest player. But you must be mental to do such a thing. The guy could break hist breastbone, or whatever its called. Just SICK!!

They always say he's a clean player, but he did it before. Got 3 games for kicking a Saudi-Arabian player.

Fratelli d'Italia

L'Italia s'è desta

wow, shocking play by zidane! What a bad way to end an awesome career! it's like if Gretzky would slash someone on the face .. I don't understand! And there's no explanation to give.. you NEVER do things like that.

It was a great game overall. An injury to Henry after 45 seconds, 2 goals in the first 20 minutes.. lot of excitement

Gee.... I've never made a mistake.... I wonder what's wrong with him?

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Gee.... I've never made a mistake.... I wonder what's wrong with him?

No excuse whatsoever to do what he did. Even if the guy said something about his religion, or whatever. Especially at what time he did it at and as he's one of the greatest penalty shooters of all time - it was juts a stupid choice.

Anyway, I'm happy he did as he pretty much lost France the World Cup... and I was routing for Italy.

Great game really, even if it didn't end the way I wanted it too. I suppose Zidane wanted to go out with a bang, hehe. Am I the only one who found it quite funny?

Sucks that I had to witness my mini-Italy suburb become party central today, meh.

Go Habs GO!

No excuse whatsoever to do what he did. Even if the guy said something about his religion, or whatever. Especially at what time he did it at and as he's one of the greatest penalty shooters of all time - it was juts a stupid choice.

Anyway, I'm happy he did as he pretty much lost France the World Cup... and I was routing for Italy.

That's a load of crud.

One play by one player doesn't, as a rule decide the outcome of the game. It's the same as saying that Steve Smith is responsible for losing Edmonton's Stanley cup in 1986. A game is won or lost after countless small plays, small decisions, small mistakes, and some bigger plays, decisions, mistakes, etc.

If the Italian goalie hadn't stopped one of all the direct shots on net, it would have finished 2-1 for France. France pretty well dominated the game. If Trezige (sp?) had've gotten the ball under the crossbar, France could have won it in the suddenp-death penalty shots. If Zidane's ball had gone the same route as Trezige's (hit the cross-bar but not deflected behind the goal line, Italy would have won 1-0.

All sorts of 'ifs', all sorts of little things and some bigger things decide the outcome of a game.

Get a dose or reality and a proper sense of proportion.

I'm glad for you that Italy won. I'd rather that France had won. I'd rather that Zidane hadn't had that brain fart but, hey... stuff happens, people make mistakes, whatever....

Edited by shortcat1

Of course, it takes abunch of small decisions and plays to get them there. But once they're there it took that one blow that made their chances take a big shot. They were already well on their way to penalties and he almost definitely would have scored. Not to mention that losing him has a big mental effect on the other players (and penalties is 95% mental). So yes, had he not done that (which is about the stupidest thing he possibly could have done) Frances chances of winning would have been far greater. He had absolutely nothing to gain from headbutting Materazzi and he just lost his reputation, morals, one of the most important soccer games of his life and part of his legend. You can't just excuse a cheapshot like that by saying "it's just a mistake."

Of course, it takes abunch of small decisions and plays to get them there. But once they're there it took that one blow that made their chances take a big shot. They were already well on their way to penalties and he almost definitely would have scored. Not to mention that losing him has a big mental effect on the other players (and penalties is 95% mental). So yes, had he not done that (which is about the stupidest thing he possibly could have done) Frances chances of winning would have been far greater. He had absolutely nothing to gain from headbutting Materazzi and he just lost his reputation, morals, one of the most important soccer games of his life and part of his legend. You can't just excuse a cheapshot like that by saying "it's just a mistake."

I trust you'll exercise the same personal consistency as you apply your standards for 'cheapshots' and 'stupidest thing's to your own decisions when the occasions arise.

Shocking to see Zizou go out like that, a beautiful career capped by a lapse that will dog him into history. He hasn't said anything to the media, but it is being reported in France that other players said Materazzi made a racial slur to provoke Zidane.

Italy takes the trophy, honor and respect are the losers.

Great game really, even if it didn't end the way I wanted it too. I suppose Zidane wanted to go out with a bang, hehe. Am I the only one who found it quite funny?

Well, I a couple of seniors on senior day a while back got ejected on there final game. Now was that cool or what. Got ejected from a basketball game once. A guy was being a total jackass to my team, name calling, slurs and such so I threw him against a brick wall on the baseline, didn't get ejected for that but for saying "shut up" to the idiot who continued to run his mouth. I looked like Zidane today just walked home in the snow in my basketball uni, took about an hour to get home. Suprised I didn't get hypothermia.

I've been racially taunted before so and have reacted the same way in the past like Zidane did but only worse. I kicked an injured player once in baseball, if that doesn't get lower then that I don't know what does.

This may sound like a dumb question, but why does Italy play in blue? They're is no blue in their flag...

This may sound like a dumb question, but why does Italy play in blue? They're is no blue in their flag...

The color of the sea, azure being a national color of Italy.

What was with the head butt?

A particularly dumb play by a great player. He definitely dealt his team's chances a big blow with that singularly selfish move. It's not like anyone can chalk it up to being young and inexperienced - the guy is now retired! I'm sure there's all kinds of trash talk in soccer (as with any other sport), but part of being a champion is to rise above it.

"Italy takes the trophy, honor and respect are the losers."

You should be referring to Zidane's act with the last comment, but you're probably referring to the alleged racial slur. Firstly, we don't know what was said. Secondly, we don't know if French players said something similar or worse, but perhaps it was handled better by the campione del mondo!

I trust you'll exercise the same personal consistency as you apply your standards for 'cheapshots' and 'stupidest thing's to your own decisions when the occasions arise.

No, I have never headbutted someone viciously in the chest and I never will even if he makes a racial slur.

Well I'm going to come to the defence of Zidane. He's done bone headed penalties before because some player apparently would comment on his religion. (that's what happend in Soul I believe). And I have a feeling thats what happend here. If that was the case so much about this world cup being the anti-racism games.

Sorry PTG, but I had many friends over watching and there was no one there who disagreed that Zidane made a BONEHEAD MOVE! They could have used him in the penalty session. I guess it's moot since Italy scored on all shots.

At least your France made it further than England. Sheesh, alot of talent but no penetration in the scoring area (called slot in hockey). The attackers couldn't one time the strikers. England never found that game. France did but not enough when it counted - last night.

GOOD GAME THOUGH. :D

blablabla... :king:

Oh Zizou... what did you do. A stupid reaction from a GREAT player.The italian TV said that Materazzi have called him a terrorist cause Zidane is an original Algerian and the Al-Quaida and so on and so on... But whatever Materazzi said to him, about his sister, him being a terrorist or whatever else I don't care, Zidane shouldn't have reacted the way he did. He isn't 3 years old.

Well, sure Zidane overreacted according to what our common sense tells us. Whatever Materazzi said should have been ignored. But you know, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me" is not a universal truth -- it's a rhyme for children. Sure, in the West it's considered acceptable to make hamburger out of sacred cows -- but Zidane is Muslim, and are we to expect that people from other faiths should share our ever loosening standards of decorum? It's a thorny question. I'm inclined to believe that once you put on the sweater, accept the money, and play for a professional sports team -- or agree to represent your country in international tournaments -- that your primary allegiance is to the fans and your team and/or country. So, I do believe Zidane overreacted.

But, I won't overlook the fact that it's very possible he was provoked. FIFA and France in particular have advanced an aggressive anti-racism campaign for sometime now, and that was meant to be a theme of this World Cup, and it is a worthwhile theme in this day and age, in Europe. If Materazzi did resort to ethnic or religious slurs to provoke Zidane, then he is a bum. It is worth noting that his team, Internazionale, is known for having possibly the most racist fans in Europe. They have hung swastika banners, thrown things and shouted monkey noises at African players and so on -- a bunch of neanderthal creeps in other words.

The Italian team are notorious for their diving, everyone knows that -- and Italian football in general is now in a complete state of chaos due to doping, match fixing, and other scandals. If in their attempts to get the edge on Sunday the nationals resorted to racist taunts on the pitch, then I'm afraid that the cavalier attitude of victory at any cost may have sunk to a level where I just can't stomach it.

Can't wait for hockey to start :D

Yeah thats right. The player was Paolo di Canio from Lazio Rom. His 1st roman/nazi salute was vs AS Roma on January the 6th 2005. The italian football federation fined him with €10.000

But he didn't accept that and did this twice again. On december 11th 2005 vs AS Livorno and vs Juventus 6 days later. So the federation fined him with €10.000 again and suspended him from the league.

120105a.jpg