Any Raptors Fans Out There?

The-Habby2919

I wouldn't read a whole lot into that, Bargniani's still playing in the postseason, so he can't come work out for anyone, that's why Mitchell and Embry went over there. Morrison and Gay are having a head-to-head workout this week as well. I'm hoping they do take Aldridge though.

In other news...Bosh is set to sign a 6 year, $84 million extension[/b] on July 12th.

how can a man possibly be able to live on that? :?-

How can he keep up with rent increases and the 2.4% cost of living increases? :?- :?-

It must be hell on wheels. :puke: :puke:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan Colangelo has made his first risky move as GM, acquiring C Rasho Nesterovic and cash from San Antonio for PF Matt Bonner, SF Eric Williams, and a 2009 2nd round pick (not sure if it's the Raptors' one, or the one they got for Aaron Williams).

Big risk here is Rasho's contract, 3 years and $23.5 million left, but it does open up a roster spot, quite possibly for either Ukic or Garbajosa, should he choose to sign with the Raps.

The team, as expected, waived C Robert Whaley upon completion of this trade.

I do think I hear the firm footsteps of LaMarcus Aldridge coming up to the podium for the 1st pick overall.

Yesssssssssssssss................................. :):):)

With the trade of Nesterovic, I think that Raptors are not going to select Aldridge. I'm sure they're going to select Morrison(80%) or Bargnani(20%). Morrison is the SF they need.

Spanish league finish yesterday with Garbajosa's team, Unicaja Málaga, as the new champion. Jorge Garbajosa was the Finals MVP and Spanish press said that Garbajosa is near to agree a 12 mill $ contract for the next 3 season with Raptors.

Bye

With the trade of Nesterovic, I think that Raptors are not going to select Aldridge. I'm sure they're going to select Morrison(80%) or Bargnani(20%). Morrison is the SF they need.

Spanish league finish yesterday with Garbajosa's team, Unicaja Málaga, as the new champion. Jorge Garbajosa was the Finals MVP and Spanish press said that Garbajosa is near to agree a 12 mill $ contract for the next 3 season with Raptors.

Bye

Me thinks your players % is a little messed up. Colangelo is 80% for Bargnani as he is 7'1" and can shoot the lights out from the arc and inside. Also, Morrison is not needed as there is no upside as he is as good as it gets. (Not that he is bad as he is a fantastic SF)

I am convinced now that the Raptors will trade with Portland to get Jarrett Jack as the current scouts wanted him bad. They might also go after Speedy Claxton as a veteran Point Guard. Right now the only point guard on the roster that can run the team is Mike James and he thinks he is God??? With all the smoke screens going on Roy(SG) is NBA ready and the Raptors are being very coy about him.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Me thinks your players % is a little messed up. Colangelo is 80% for Bargnani as he is 7'1" and can shoot the lights out from the arc and inside. Also, Morrison is not needed as there is no upside as he is as good as it gets. (Not that he is bad as he is a fantastic SF)

I am convinced now that the Raptors will trade with Portland to get Jarrett Jack as the current scouts wanted him bad. They might also go after Speedy Claxxon as a veteran Point Guard. Right now the only point guard on the roster that can run the team is Mike James and he thinks he is God??? With all the smoke screens going on Roy(SG) is NBA ready and the Raptors are being very coy about him.

Yeah, I've been thinking about Roy lately and wouldn't be surprised if we either take him 1st or trade down a bit and take him. Mike James is being a douchebag so we could need a SG anyway.

Bye

BPA still rules the day and Aldridge is the BPA.

BPA still rules the day and Aldridge is the BPA.

I agree but Toronto still needs another Center and a point guard. Point guard first as it is important to feed the ball to CV31 and CB4. Moe Pete can drive and shoot the 3ball an now they have a true center. (I know overpaid salary big man)

BPA in this case could be trade down, get a PG and still pick the Big Italian Euro Star!

Ok, see that Phoenix team that has been crushing everyone the past couple seasons?

They haven't made the Finals once under Colangelo. They farthest they've gone is a 6 game elimination in the Conference Finals.

And Colangelo's been the GM of that team for an unusually long time (his Dad owns part of the team, right?).

He's good, but overrated.

Adam Morrison. The man is crazy. He'd be a good fit in Toronto.

First rule in basketball: Don't pick the white guy.

So I guess by now Aldridge is the consensus #1 pick that HW Raptors fans want to see?[/i[

Aldridge is the obvious choice, but unfortunately GMs don't usually make obvious choices (that's why most of them don't last very long). San Antonio makes obvious, predictable choices, and San Antonio has 3 Championships (the drafting of Duncan).

I hope Toronto takes Aldridge. He fills a big hole at Center that Toronto has had for years. And Aldridge has the size to start at Center against the 4/5 tweeners used a lot in today's faster NBA. Rasho can be used against bigger Centers like Yao and Shaq.

But Colangelo has a thing for Italians. He hired an Italian management staff, D'Antoni is Italian, and most mock drafts have Bargnani going #1.

First rule in basketball: Don't pick the white guy.

So I guess if a top hockey prospect was black, you wouldn't want to draft him because he is black.

What an asinine thing to say. Of course, the majority of players in the NBA are black. But to not draft a kid because he isn't black? Come on now. Who has won the last 2 MVP awards in the NBA? Oh yeah, white boy Steve Nash. Who has more assists than any other player in history? White boy John Stockton. Who has more triple-doubles than anyone in NBA history? Larry Bird.

Anyways, Morrison shouldn't be draft 1st because he is overrated, not becuase he is white.

What an asinine thing to say. Of course, the majority of players in the NBA are black. But to not draft a kid because he isn't black?

Do you know who the last caucasion American drafted in the lottery to make the All-star team was?

Wallly Szczerbiak. That was in 2002. Since then, there have been 0 white Americans to make the cut on each of the two 12 man teams that were chosen in the lottery. Last season, Brad Miller was the only white American to make the team (he went undrafted).

So I guess if a top hockey prospect was black, you wouldn't want to draft him because he is black.

There are good to great black hockey players.

How many great white Americans All-stars this season? 0. The higher they're picked, the bigger busts they are. The taller they get, the more they get dunked on:

Here is a list of the last 10 tall white guys taken in the 1st round: Chris Kaman, Nick Collison, Curtis Borchardt, Troy Murphy, Michael Bradley, Chris Mihm, Joel Pryzbilla, Mark Madsen, Scott Padgett, and Raef LaFrentz.

None have been All-stars.

Who has won the last 2 MVP awards in the NBA? Oh yeah, white boy Steve Nash. Who has more assists than any other player in history? White boy John Stockton.

Steve Nash was born in South-Africa. Besides, I was referring to American caucasian players, when I said "white." They didn't get a big Russian guy to play Billy in White Men Can't Jump, so I'm not using a South-African born white guy when referring to "white" either. Nash winning the MVP is just a publicity stunt anyways. How does a player win MVP when he plays absolutely no defense? Shaq should have won the year before, and LeBron this year. Both are vastly more talented (they bring it on both ends).

As for Stockton - he doesn't even play anymore. If you want to talk about retired players, we can kick back into the 50's and talk about Ariza, or stars way back when African-Americans weren't even allowed to play.

However, any person that's not an idiot has realized the game has changed drastically since the last decade.

By the way, if you insist on talking about Nash (since he is Canadian, and that's close to being American as commonly believed), how many Championships has he won?

How many Championships have Stockton won, for that matter? Combined, how many Championships have Nash and Stockton won? Look it up, then get back to me.

Who has more triple-doubles than anyone in NBA history? Larry Bird.

Again, if you want to go back a decade or so in order to find the last white American superstar, then go do so. It only proves how fatuous your argument is.

Anyone who isn't an idiot realizes the game has changed. You not knowing that 20 foot jump shots and short-shorts don't rule the NBA anymore only shows that you don't watch the NBA.

New era, grow-up, face reality, and get wit' it.

Anyone who isn't an idiot realizes the game has changed. You not knowing that 20 foot jump shots and short-shorts don't rule the NBA anymore only shows that you don't watch the NBA.

New era, grow-up, face reality, and get wit' it.

Come on, black players were already dominating the NBA during Bird's time. Heck, Bird often laughed at opposing teams when they tried to have white guys defend him. He knew that already back then black players were at the top of the game.

The players are not what has changed the NBA, it is the mentality. There is only one team in the NBA that is actually a team, and that is the Pistons, who play dirty. The game is full of indiviuals on the same court as 4 other guys who happen to wear the same jersey. Steve Nash is one of the few players who still plays the game the way it was meant to be played. Jason Kidd is another. This is precisely why I watch so little of the NBA. The game is no longer about the team.

Just look at the finals, had Dwayne Wade not been able to average almost 40 points in their 4 wins, the team would have been swept. They had nobody else step up and he had to win the series by himself. An amazing feat from my favorite player, but it just shows that his team was not that great.

The NBA is full of selfish players who are more concerned with putting up numbers than playing team basketball. That mentality has sure worked out for AI and Kobe the last two seasons without Shaq.

Here is a list of the last 10 tall white guys taken in the 1st round: Chris Kaman, Nick Collison, Curtis Borchardt, Troy Murphy, Michael Bradley, Chris Mihm, Joel Pryzbilla, Mark Madsen, Scott Padgett, and Raef LaFrentz.

Chris Kaman: Showed a lot of improvement this year, almost averaging a double-double. This was only his 3rd NBA season. It took Jermaine O'Neal 4 seasons before anyone even knew who he was.

Troy Murphy: One of only three NBA players to average a double-double each of the past two seasons.

Joel Przybilla: If given starters minutes, he could put up Ben Wallace numbers. (10+ rebounds and 2+ blocks a game)

Mark Madsen: Barely a 1st rounder

Raef Lafretnz: Was starting to put up good numbers before injuries started.

Wally Wonder: One of the better sharpshooters at SF. And if you are going to get technical about Steve Nash, Wally was born in Spain.

And if you want to talk about busts, all of these black player were not only 1st rounders, but top 10 picks:

Darius Miles: only now showing promise

Stromile Swift

DerMarr Johnson

Kwame Brown

Tyson Chandler

Eddy Curry (injuries have hurt him)

Eddie Griffin

Rodney White

I'm not trying to be racist, I am simply showing that black athletes drafted in the first round bust just like white Americans.

Come on, black players were already dominating the NBA during Bird's time.

Not near as much as they do now.

The players are not what has changed the NBA, it is the mentality.

No, it's the game. It's become more street.

It's all inside-out. You either score in the paint, or you take a 3. The mid-range game is almost non-existant, which was rarer before the 90's.

Guys like AI, Marbury, Alston, McGrady, Kobe and Artest have dramatically changed the game. They've made it tougher, faster, and more athletic. Too athletic for the Nick Collison's or Adam Morrison's that were stars in the NCAA.

There is only one team in the NBA that is actually a team, and that is the Pistons, who play dirty.

The Spurs play "as a team" too. But this has nothing to do with players being black/white.

Steve Nash is one of the few players who still plays the game the way it was meant to be played.

You mean basketball is supposed to be played with absolutely no defense, and only skills evident on 1 side of the court?

The game is no longer about the team.

Exactly, and it's not because of mentality - it's because of players. Streetball players, many who learnt their game at ruckers instead of at the YMCA.

It ain't the short-short wearing, pass 3 times before you shoot, knee-bend follow through on your jumpshot NBA it was 2, 3 decades ago. It's about isolation, cross-overs, and dunks.

Chris Kaman: Showed a lot of improvement this year, almost averaging a double-double. This was only his 3rd NBA season. It took Jermaine O'Neal 4 seasons before anyone even knew who he was.

My point was that none of the last 10 tall white guys have been All-stars, and there are currently 0 white Americans on either team.

Jermaine came right out of High School and was one of the youngest players to play in the NBA during that time. Comparing him to Kaman is unfair.

Darius Miles: only now showing promise

Stromile Swift

DerMarr Johnson

Kwame Brown

Tyson Chandler

Eddy Curry (injuries have hurt him)

Eddie Griffin

Rodney White

I'm not trying to be racist, I am simply showing that black athletes drafted in the first round bust just like white Americans.

Give a list of the last 10 black players 6'9 or taller to be drafted in the first round. None of them are as bad as the list of white players I found. None of which are going to be All-stars except for Kaman (who's destined to be Yao's back-up on the West).

And I would hardly call Chandler a bust when he's one of the biggest shot blocking threats in the NBA, and has become a strong rebounder. If he was white, you wouldn't be saying he was a bust.

Raef Lafretnz: Was starting to put up good numbers before injuries started.

Bottom line was that they did, and he sucks.

Edited by Ribeiro

So close to draft day. Not much interest in the Raptors here, but in all fairness this is mainly a Hockey board.

I expect a trade to be announced tomorrow late and the Raptors to get a point guard plus a later pick. Morison and Aldridge will be gone and the Raptors will take Andrea Bargnani. Realistically, this guy is 7"1" tall and can shoot the Three ball. An incredible perimeter shooter. 62571420.VyrQQ7pb.raps.jpg

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Jorge Garbajosa will join the Raptors. A PF with inside strength and will play a bit at Center. Now Toronto has Two centers.

Source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nb...rticleID=169381

European star Garbajosa to join Raptors

Malaga, Spain (Sports Network) - One day before the Toronto Raptors could possibly select one European star with the first selection in the NBA Draft, Spain international Jorge Garbajosa announced his intentions to join the club.

"I believe that the moment has arrived for undertaking a new adventure, new challenges and I want to try to play next year in the NBA," said Garbajosa.

Garbajosa didn't encounter many challenges last season, averaging 19.3 points and 6.9 rebounds in 18 Euroleague games for the Liga ACB, the club he is under contract with for two more seasons. However, Garbajosa said he will pay his buyout clause of approximately $2.25 million.

The Spanish international star will now head to Canada to negotiate his contract. He can not sign a deal before July 1st.

"In the next days I will move to Toronto to know the club, to know the city, to speak with them and to try to undertake my adventure there," Garbajosa said.

OK, DRAFT DAY! Toronto is going to keep the pick because other teams were offering garbage. Do they actually think Babcock is still the GM of the Raptors?

I say Colangelo takes the big Italian Stud as the number 1 overall pick. He will love Toronto and is 7'1" not 6'11" like all the American media is spinning out there. Aldridge is probably going to drop like a rock as some teams are now questioning him. (I don't know why) He may even be available at the 7th pick.

Again this is all rumours except for Toronto keeping the first pick and trying to acquire at least 10th pick also. Charlie Vilinoeva is the player Colangelo is shopping for a first round pick.

http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=169858&hubname=

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Garbajosa is a 3/4 and it is not very likely he will see time at the 5.

IMHO this clouds the situation even further...with Graham, C-Vil, Garbajosa able to see decent minutes at the 3; Bosh and C-Vil able to see time at the 4; Nesterovic, Bosh and Sow at the 5 the Raps really don't need EITHER of what is widely speculated as their top 2 choices in Bargnani and Aldridge. There really aren't enough minutes to go around the 3/4/5 spot with 3 starters and 2-3 decent back-ups already in place for those positions.

I will be the first to say draft the best player available but the Raps really need a guard...too bad none of them are really 1st pick material.

I believe the Raps will draft Bargnani(7'1" and 245lbs according to their Gherardini and he should know). He has the skill set, size and talent to learn a post game. He's very athletic for a 7 footer and I do buy into the notion that he's played more quality basketball then NCAA guys in an 82 game season.

Then I hope the Raps make another deal. Maybe Graham(hate to lose him but we need to clear a F spot) and a 2nd to get a good PG in the 1st round.

I hope also hope Colangelo finds a way to move Mike James for some value and finds a way to dump Alvin Williams contract.

Okay, I would like to say that I don't follow the NBA at all, save for occasionally checking to see if Steve Nash's team won their playoff game. However, Ribeiro seems to be claiming that being born black gives you a biologically inherent advantage in basketball over white people. To me, that statement seems ridiculous, but I know nothing about basketball or the NBA, so it could be that it is true.

Okay, I would like to say that I don't follow the NBA at all, save for occasionally checking to see if Steve Nash's team won their playoff game. However, Ribeiro seems to be claiming that being born black gives you a biologically inherent advantage in basketball over white people. To me, that statement seems ridiculous, but I know nothing about basketball or the NBA, so it could be that it is true.

It does, actually. And not just for basketball, in certain other sports too. Things like Track and Soccer and such. I forget how to explain it but we learned about it in science in Grade 9. Black people have better endurance than white people and white people have better stamina. Or is it the other way around.

That was 4 years ago, you'll have to forgive my apparently weak memory. :P

It does, actually. And not just for basketball, in certain other sports too. Things like Track and Soccer and such. I forget how to explain it but we learned about it in science in Grade 9. Black people have better endurance than white people and white people have better stamina. Or is it the other way around.

That is funny and largely a myth...we are all products of our environment. That's not to say that there aren't some differences in muscular structure across people from different regions but again, that's more an environment issue then anything.

There are more black players in the NBA because of the style of game, how it's glorified in their culture, etc.

Same as baseball and hispanics.

Same as hockey and Canadians.

Same as soccer and Brazilians, Italians, etc.

And so on.

It's pretty obvious that socio-economics and regional evolution play probably a bigger part in this then any specific skin colour or other dumb arse generalization about an overall race.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't stamina the same thing as endurance? :king:

OMG, that is the biggest myth on the planet. Goofy white people down here sometimes say that because black people where slaves they are stronger.

Strength has nothing to do with race. Everything is heredity. For example I'm 6'8 would be a killer basketball player but I have weak knees and no jump. Basketball is not my sport.

I have really no upper body strength do to the fact that people never would let me use weights until high school because they said it would effect my growth. Football was a challenge, I'm not the quickest.

Sports I'm good at:

Baseball: Could always throw the ball a mile (literally not joking) and was deceptive quick (Played Centre field could caught everything)

Hockey: Never played it but I always was a pretty fast skater when I'd race people at the local rink, long stride.

Golf: I don't have to lift weights to hit the ball far. Always have been able to hit the ball 300+

Tennis: Always had a really fast serve do to my height.

Rowing: I've got stamina like you'd never believe do to my height

See its what your body is best for, for me anyway. Some sports I'm not the greatest at and some I rule at. If its not running based where you run constantly then those sports I wouldn't be the greatest at because I'd break down really easily, knees wouldn't be able to take it.

I assume black people are better sprinters because of all the running they have to do to get away from the police... :blink:

I'm kidding, of course.

It is interesting, though, that there are more black sprinters than there are white, and more white marathon runners than there are black.