Lightning vs. Canadiens - MARKOV OUT? - Dec. 2nd, 2003

jl.roberts

---------------------------

<B>Time :</B> 7:30 EST. 4:30 PST

<B>Location :</B> Le Centre Bell - Montréal, Québec

<B>TV :</B> RDS

<B>Radio :</B> CJAD, CKAC, Team 990 (postgame)

<B>RDS Line-Up News</B>

<B>Stat Comparison</B>

<B>NHL.com Score Sheets</B>

<B>Projected to be Between the Pipes:</B>

<i>Jose Theodore? versus Nik Khabibulin? </i>

<B>Projected CH Line-Up </B>

<I>20 Zednik – 11 Koivu – 73 Ryder

94 Perreault – 71 Ribeiro – 26 Dagenais

38/37/25 – 90 Juneau – 24 Dackell

15 Langdon – 22 Begin – 25/37

44 Souray – 43 Brisebois

08 Komisarek – 05 Quintal

51 Bouillon – 52 Rivet

</I>

<B>Lightning Line-Up</B>

<i>: Lecavalier, Boyle, Sarich, Richards, Modin, St. Louis</i>

<B>Probable CH Scratches</B>

<I>25 Kilger/37 Sundstrom (circle one), 17 Ward (ankle –damn Malakhov), 82 Audette (separated shoulder), 79 Markov (bruised foot), 38 Bulis (TBD – bruised foot)</I>

<B>Probable Lightning Scratches</B>

<I>No injuries to note. Coaches decisions to be made.</I>

<B>Key Match-Up</B>

1816.gif <b>vs.</b> 0154.gif

The centrepieces of their respective offences, Saku Koivu and Brad Richards.

<B>Habs Game Thoughts</B>

[*]With all signs pointing to Andrei Markov sitting out another game to injury, can the Habs motley crew of rearguards hold strong against the talented Lightning?

[*]Supposing that Jan Bulis is to miss his first game of the year due to a bruised foot, can Chad Kilger or Niklas Sundstrom show enough on the checking line to prove themselves worthy or regular ice time?

[*]Mike Komisarek should see his third game of the season on Tuesday night, but will he see an increase in his playing minutes?

[*]Vincent Lecavalier, struggling with no points in his past five games, is a good candidate to break out against his hometown team. Can the 6’4” centreman be shutdown by Joe Juneau and company?

[*]What must Saku Koivu, who has yet to find the back of the net, do to get the oft-moronic media off of his back?

<B>Who to Watch For</B>

29476_2.jpg

tam_lecavalier1005_76478.jpg

28735_2.jpg

Edit: Just fixing an error-Panthers to Lightning

[Edited on 2003/12/2 by dlbalr]

If Bulis doesnt play it will be a huge loss for the habs , he's always been the fuel to the Juneau-Dackell line , without him I'm afraid how those 2 will perform ... Though having kilger there would add size/physicality ...

I'm pleased that Komisarek is playing a 3rd straight game , even though its probably only because of Markov's injury....

Going to be a tough game , habs need to contain Tampa's many skilled forwards...

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Ribeiro's benched because of a few different reasons:

a.) He had a 100-second long shift in overtime (which is a third of the entire period). While he wasn't the only one, BG and CJ wouldn't want him to think that he can just do that every and any game

b.) He looked tired (as noted by the CJAD commentators and other members of the audience). A rest will do him good.

c.) Being benched gives players extra fuel/fire - just ask Perreault or Ryder. Maybe this will help too

Anyway, expect to see him playing in a few days

JL, good job for the game threads!!! Both here and at Hockeysfuture :o .

Good to see Saku get his legs back, he seemed slow lately. that first line sure is good right now, heck even Perreault has been working hard these past 5-6 games. I actually saw him forecheck :guru: .

It's nice to see the Habs fight back, even though it was a bit of a week goal by JB.

Sounds like Begin was good on the third line. His prescence there allows Julien to give Koivu and Zednik the first line minutes they deserve, 20+. Good game from the top line, they're quieting their doubters.

Unfortunately, Sportsnet East had to blackout the game in Ontario :-^, but I think we're lucky that Stillman, Richards were not able to break out.

It's nice to grab these three points against two of the league's best goalies.

Anyone who was in attendance, please don't boo Rivet.

Ribeiro? He'll be back next game, but I like Julien's descision to sit him. People complain that guys like Dackell & Sundstrom should be sitting in favour of Ribeiro. Julien has said that the main reason for the benching was due to Ribs' tendancey to take extra long shifts. I think, though, that this was similiar to the Perreault benching in that CJ is looking to really stress hard work and defence on lil' Mikey. Sundstrom and Dackell both play good defence, even though Sundstrom has the heart of a dead bullfrog. I'd assume Dagenais is the guy that sits next.

Good Win! .500!

:hlogo:

Well the habs pulled their typical sit-back-on-the-lead-get-burned-in-the-last-couple-of-minutes-style.

At least Bulis managed to squeak in a soft goal at the end to win it and i think the Habs played pretty good for the most part, however we sat back on the lead and it almost killed us again...

Originally posted by Quebecois

Well the habs pulled their typical sit-back-on-the-lead-get-burned-in-the-last-couple-of-minutes-style.

At least Bulis managed to squeak in a soft goal at the end to win it and i think the Habs played pretty good for the most part, however we sat back on the lead and it almost killed us again...

I disagree... the Habs had a few great chances before blowing the lead, Zednik hit the crossbar & Dackell missed the net from 2 feet away on another sure goal... all this just a minute before the Habs blew the lead.

I don't call that sitting back.

Here's the game recap:

http://www.habsworld.net/show_big_news.php?id=186

They had a couple of quick chances, but not sustained pressure. When we had a 2 minute powerplay towards the end of the game with the lead we had next to no offensive chances, except for a brief 5 second stint when Zed hit the post.

We should have been trying to put the game away in this situation, but if i remember correctly we had little to no offense on that PP. I think that's what got me most pissed off. Then Zednik takes a dumb penalty and it burns us. Like i said, Bulis covered up for the mistake on a soft goal.

But yeah, i agree it was a good effort tonight by the Habs, top line was getting great chances. Im not sure how we can give Bulis a more offensive role, but id love to see him on a scoring line, there just isnt any room. This is where i think we need a trade...

I agrree Begin was a good fit to the Checking line.

I'd much rather see him on the ice as our Checking forwards then Juneau, it's time for Joe to call it off.

He's just being a waste of money and taking ice from our other players.

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

Perreault-Ribeiro-Ward

Bulis-Begin-Dackell

Langdon-Kilger-Sundstrom/Audette

These would be my lines when everyones healthy.

hopefully Gainey can get rid of juneau and Audette, even if its just for another effective role player like Begin.

:ghg:

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

I agrree Begin was a good fit to the Checking line.

I'd much rather see him on the ice as our Checking forwards then Juneau, it's time for Joe to call it off.

He's just being a waste of money and taking ice from our other players.

:ghg:

:clap::clap::/)

I agree 100% with you B11

Begin has soo much more energy than Juneau. That's easy to see that Juneau play with recurrent back problem since a long time. Maybe it's arthritis, some inflammation.. look how he skates. That affects his play.. and also his attitude. Look at him during interview.. never looks happy, but stressed, crisped.

Originally posted by Quebecois

They had a couple of quick chances, but not sustained pressure. When we had a 2 minute powerplay towards the end of the game with the lead we had next to no offensive chances, except for a brief 5 second stint when Zed hit the post.  

We should have been trying to put the game away in this situation, but if i remember correctly we had little to no offense on that PP. I think that's what got me most pissed off.

I get that, but most teams do take less chances on a PP with 5 minutes left when they're ahead by one.

The team killing the penalty has nothing to lose and will cheat a little, anticipating passes and if the guess right just once it's a breakaway.

I might be frustrating for fans, but it's the right way to play it.

What bothers me more is when they continually dump it when playing 5-on-5... since they could kill the clock more effectively by controlling the puck in their zone without taking any chances.

They ddin't do that as much tonight, then again that might be because the PP they had almost forced to play a little offense.

But yeah, i agree it was a good effort tonight by the Habs, top line was getting great chances. Im not sure how we can give Bulis a more offensive role, but id love to see him on a scoring line, there just isnt any room. This is where i think we need a trade...

Bulis needs to play 2nd line LW... that's where Hossa, then Perreault was. Hossa is out of the way... now it's Perreault's turn.

Then you could either have Hossa take his 3rd line spot since he's very good defensively, big and fast just like Bulis... even has offensive skill too just like Bulis.

Or Kilger could take that spot, big and fast... although less offense.

Sheesh JL, how many boards do I have to try and keep up with you on! ;)

As for the Habs sitting back, I was a little annoyed as well. When a power play turns into an exercise in just keeping the puck safely out of your own end rather than a concerted attempt to score, I feel the team is playing at an intensity less than what it takes to be successful. There's nothing worse than changing your intensity during a game.

In fact, I think it was a good thing in this game that LeCavalier scored, because they all went back to working hard again - and I hope they look at the game tapes, remember the feelings, and then go out and duplicate that effort again.

I don't mind playing concervatively, but it has to be with the same intensity, and I felt for a few minutes there we looked scared, rather than eager to win.

Just my thoughts...

ACF