2006 Nhl Entry Pre-draft Thread

ch_nl

The final rankings has arived.

Swedish Niclas Backström tops the european rankings. He was the rookie of the year in Sweden and will play in LG Hockey Games next weak where he will be battling for a spot on Swedens World Championship team.

I'd say he's the most promising rookie from Sweden since Henrik Zetterberg. Some people are allready comparing him with Peter Forsberg.

Erik Johnsson is the top name from North America and Kessel is fifth.

In my opinion a GM should try to get the best available player and if possible also picking a player that will fill a hole. Should Gainey use his first pick to get a defenceman? I think so.

Here's the top defenceman:

Erik Johnson, US National Team -18. Won't be available when it's time for the Habs.

Bobby Sanguinetti, Owen Sound, OHL. Ranked 12th. Could be available.

Nigel Williams, US National Team -18. 6'4.5''. Great size and ranked 13th.

Yuri Alexandrov, Cherepovets, Russia.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have depth up front...needless to say that we're ok in goals.

I wouldn't be suprised to see one of our prospect being traded for a better draft position our a D-men prospect.

still, I'm curious about Derrick brassard although he's not that big.

I love the fact that this year's draft will in the evening june 24th..no better way to celebrate st jean baptist for me!!

Unless Gainey trades up during the draft, Johnson, Sanguinetti, and Williams will all be gone. I would stay away from Alexandrov since he's not good enough to risk not being able to sign him because of the dispute between the Russian Federation and the NHL. You however forgot Ty Wishart, who's a huge defenseman, already very solid defensively, and who's constantly improving his offensive game. If we get a defenseman, it will be him, although he could also be gone by the time we get to pick.

Otherwise, I mentionned it before, but I would really like for Montreal to select Chris Stewart. He's a power forward with good speed who likes to crash the net, exactly the kind of player who could benefit from the "new" NHL. Some people believe that he could be a better player than his brother Anthony, drafted in 2003 by the Panthers. As a bonus, he shoots from the right, and besides Ryder, every other regular on the current roster shoots from the left.

With Chipchura, Latendresse, Lapierre, and Stewart in its ranks, Montreal would definitely fix its lack of size and grit, and that would make us one tough team to play against in the near future.

Edited by CerebusClone

Otherwise, I mentionned it before, but I would really like for Montreal to select Chris Stewart. He's a power forward with good speed who likes to crash the net, exactly the kind of player who could benefit from the "new" NHL. Some people believe that he could be a better player than his brother Anthony, drafted in 2003 by the Panthers. As a bonus, he shoots from the right, and besides Ryder, every other regular on the current roster shoots from the left.

and maybe he's a montreal born like anthony...he actually would be a great choice

and maybe he's a montreal born like anthony...he actually would be a great choice

I think Anthony was born in Montreal, but Chris somwhere in Ontario. But somebody else mentionned a little while ago that their father is a big Habs fan.

We finished 15th overall. The only playoff team behind us is Tampa Bay. This means we will probably pick 15th. The only other possibilities are we pick 16th (if Tampa Bay repeats) or we pick 30th (Oh happy day).

Thus I see no reason to think that Sanguinetti and others ranked around 12-13 among North American skaters will all be gone when we make our choice.

(edit: I can't spell Sanguinetti)

Edited by Peter Puck

We finished 15th overall. The only playoff team behind us is Tampa Bay. This means we will probably pick 15th. The only other possibilities are we pick 16th (if Tampa Bay repeats) or we pick 30th (Oh happy day).

Thus I see no reason to think that Sanguinetti and others ranked around 12-13 among North American skaters will all be gone when we make our choice.

(edit: I can't spell Sanguinetti)

We finished 16th, teams 1 through 14 are out of the playoffs. Teams 15-30 are the playoff teams. It goes in order of how you finished, minus the 30th spot for the cup winner, and then each divisional winner. So unless we win the cup or tampa wins the cup, we are picking 16th.

I think Anthony was born in Montreal, but Chris somwhere in Ontario. But somebody else mentionned a little while ago that their father is a big Habs fan.

I did he wears a Habs coat and hat all the time!

And I like Chris Stewart, but so do a lot of other NHL GM's they think of him as the prototypical power forward. But I have a feeling that he will fall in the draft and may not even be selected in the first round!

We finished 16th, teams 1 through 14 are out of the playoffs. Teams 15-30 are the playoff teams. It goes in order of how you finished, minus the 30th spot for the cup winner, and then each divisional winner. So unless we win the cup or tampa wins the cup, we are picking 16th.

I meant we finished 15th overall (from the top) with Detroit finishing 1st. But you are correct this means we will probably picking 16th and could pick 15th or 30th.

Jesse Joenssu and James Sheppard are too great power forwards I would like. Brassard will be a great playmaker and any d-men we can get would be nice. I say don't go for any Russians (specifically the aforementioned defenceman) because it's a big risk to use a 1st rounder on a Russian at the moment. With 16th oa we can get a great player, one who can finish off our great system. With a Bobby Sanguinetti I would consider our prospect group one of the Big Three in the league, I think.

Jesse Joenssu and James Sheppard are too great power forwards I would like. Brassard will be a great playmaker and any d-men we can get would be nice. I say don't go for any Russians (specifically the aforementioned defenceman) because it's a big risk to use a 1st rounder on a Russian at the moment. With 16th oa we can get a great player, one who can finish off our great system. With a Bobby Sanguinetti I would consider our prospect group one of the Big Three in the league, I think.

I mentionned Jesse Joenssu a few times before, and I believe he would make a great 2nd round pick for us. However, he would be too much of a reach for the 15th pick, and will most likely be gone by our second pick. If we could trade perhaps our 2nd and 3rd/4th to get an early 2nd round pick, that would be possible.

As for Sheppard, I've heard a few reports of inconsistency in his game, but I doubt it will be enough for him to drop to 15th. But we'll see. For Brassard, I know francophones in Quebec would love to see a Brassard-Latendresse duo in Montreal, but I'm not sure he's the kind of player we need. But if he's the best available player when we pick, then yes, we should go for it.

Completely agree about the Russians, especially since none of them are Ovechkin-like talents. However, I'm sure GMs have much more information about all this than we do, so if Gainey picks a Russian, I'm sure he will be able to sign him.

As long as we don't pick Jonathan Bernier in the first round (goalie), we'll be fine... :P

As long as we don't pick Jonathan Bernier in the first round (goalie), we'll be fine... :P

hahaha

or that 6' 185 european right winger that we have already too many of.

I want to see some D men...other than o'byrne and emelin..we have nothing

oh God to have that no 9 pick in 2003 :rolleyes:

I'd have to say Montreals wish list includes a defensman first, but Gainey will probably take the player rated highest on their list when Montreals turn comes around. Similar to when they drafted Carey Price.

Simple philosphy. Take the best player available.

what if the best player available was a goalie ??

of course i'm kiddin but I have to disagree a little. we can't always draft the same type of player simply because he's there. this team needs to adress certain issues wich are D men of all sorts. we also need size up front especially at center.

with kids like latendresse, kostitsyn, perezhogin, chipchura, higgins...our future up front will be fine.

I'll be happy with whoever they pick as long as it's not a perezhogin/kostitsyn type of player.

in trevor and andré we trust

what if the best player available was a goalie ??

of course i'm kiddin but I have to disagree a little. we can't always draft the same type of player simply because he's there. this team needs to adress certain issues wich are D men of all sorts. we also need size up front especially at center.

with kids like latendresse, kostitsyn, perezhogin, chipchura, higgins...our future up front will be fine.

I'll be happy with whoever they pick as long as it's not a perezhogin/kostitsyn type of player.

in trevor and andré we trust

You pick the best player plain and simple. Most of these kids are 18, so most will be 4-5 years away, and who knows what the team will look like then. As for Lats, Kosty, etc.. you can always trade one or two for help on defense if need be. We are thin on D prospects for sure and unless Gainey signs a couple guys like Emelin, Korpikari, O'Byrne, Gleed, then Hamilton will be really thin (unless we get another teams prospects again.

best player available. like stated above, rare are the prospects who will step in immediately and make an impact.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

You pick the best player plain and simple. Most of these kids are 18, so most will be 4-5 years away, and who knows what the team will look like then. As for Lats, Kosty, etc.. you can always trade one or two for help on defense if need be. We are thin on D prospects for sure and unless Gainey signs a couple guys like Emelin, Korpikari, O'Byrne, Gleed, then Hamilton will be really thin (unless we get another teams prospects again.

Exactly....thank you

I agree about always picking the best player available with perhaps the exception of goalies, unless of course he's a blue-chip, Kari Lehtonen-type goalie. It would be stupid to pass up a Kyle Okposo or a James Sheppard - if somehow they were still available - to draft an avarage defenseman. Besdies, it's not like Montreal has too many top end forwards; I would be just fine with 3 great lines.

Also, when you have several good prospects in your organization, it makes it far easier to make a trade to fill a void in your lineup; you can always trade a good prospect if he doesn't fit in your plans, or trade a veteran and replace him with a prospect.

Best player available. There probably won't be any good defenceman around when we pick (15th overall I think) but you never know. At 15th, we can definitely expect a great player. One of Joenssuu, Sheppard, Brassard, Wishart, Williams will very likely be available then. And if not - it'll be because another great player was left behind.

Well lets hope the Koivu injury isn't serious, but I imagine if it happens to be career ending, Montreal may have to look at a aquiring a #1 center. This first round pick could be packaged with some prospects and players to Tampa for Richards (who Tampa may have a hard time resigning) or maybe someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really hoping the habs are able to draft Chris Stewart. He's a gritty kid who has always been a Habs supporter. Look at how well kids like Higgins and Komisarek play for thier favourite team. When you are surrounded by fans of other teams you really have to be mentally strong to continue to cheer for your teams. Stewart being from Toronto would have been mercilessly ridden by his pals and schoolmates over his habs love. The habs might need to trade up a few spots to get him. The Leafs would surely take him at 14 if he were available.

Reading http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...ne-report_x.htm , there's a nice few comments on a defenceman called Mike Ratchuk " Ratchuk is simply the best skating defenseman — and possibly the best pure skater, period — in this year's draft crop."

The only thing is that he may be, at 5-11 171, just too small to make a positive impact at the position. (Then again, Brian Rafalski is 5-10 190 & Ratchuk could grow that extra bulk in the next couple of years.)

(maybe 3rd or 4th round?)

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Edited by shortcat1

there's a guy who could be available come our turn in 2nd round(46th)

bobby hughes: centre shoots left 5,10 181 lbs...plays for kingston

they guy's all about grinding...he seems to be molded like steve begin

we never have enough of those guys in our system