2006 Nhl Entry Pre-draft Thread

ch_nl

Here's a couple of sites you might find interesting. Nothing to do with this year's draft but just a reality check about the difficult road it is to walk to find a successful prospect.

1. NHL draft busts

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessi...20Draft%20Busts

2. NHL Draft steals

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessi...0Draft%20Steals

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great sites:

next on the steal list: yann danis, tomas plekanecs alexei emelin

:ghg:

• 2 weeks later...

reading the hockey news draft previews, I found a player who could fill our need fo bigger centermen:

patrick berglund

6-3 187 lbs

center shoots left

hockey news: « his hockey sense is sound and he has soft hands around the net. he combines that with size and a fearless willingness to drive to the net. he likes physical play and he doesn't shy away from making a good play if he's about to recieve a hit, either»

he's listed #19 and since that we have #16( so far)..he could be available when our turn comes

• 2 weeks later...
reading the hockey news draft previews, I found a player who could fill our need fo bigger centermen:

patrick berglund

6-3 187 lbs

center shoots left

hockey news: « his hockey sense is sound and he has soft hands around the net. he combines that with size and a fearless willingness to drive to the net. he likes physical play and he doesn't shy away from making a good play if he's about to recieve a hit, either»

he's listed #19 and since that we have #16( so far)..he could be available when our turn comes

I think the Canucks'll grab him. But if he's available at 16th then I would consider him. He's a bit notorious to get a little lazy sometimes and his heart is sometimes questioned. But his actual game is very good. Good both ways, good playmaker, pretty good shot, big center, soft hands. I'm not sure about his speed but I think I recall reading about him having a problem with it. I'll read u pabout him again.

After doing a mental mock draf tI think we can easily end up with Nigel Williams. I'll post my mock first round draft another time but I really think it's possible unlike what some people say. I don't want Ty Wishart with our 1st round pick. I don't think he's mobile enough for the New NHL.

A guy I'm hoping will drop to us in the 2nd round is Ben Maxwell. A fast and talented two-way guy who reminds some of John Madden. I'm also interested in Jesse Joenssu, a Finnish powerforward who Koivu can tutor in his final year. Could work well on a line with Latendresse and a nifty playmaker (Plekanec?) at center.

I think the Canucks'll grab him. But if he's available at 16th then I would consider him. He's a bit notorious to get a little lazy sometimes and his heart is sometimes questioned. But his actual game is very good. Good both ways, good playmaker, pretty good shot, big center, soft hands. I'm not sure about his speed but I think I recall reading about him having a problem with it. I'll read u pabout him again.

I can live with a lazier player as long as he delivers when needed(read kovalev)

A guy I'm hoping will drop to us in the 2nd round is Ben Maxwell. A fast and talented two-way guy who reminds some of John Madden. I'm also interested in Jesse Joenssu, a Finnish powerforward who Koivu can tutor in his final year. Could work well on a line with Latendresse and a nifty playmaker (Plekanec?) at center.

I would love having joenssu on my team, even though his stock has fall considerably since last year. he as the size and weight to play with men.

some scouts feel(according to the hockey news) that he could become a finn tomas holmstrom...I say: where do I sign !!

another guy I'd just love to have is bobby hughes: energy foward, 5-10, 181lbs

blocks shots, hits...good for me

Edited by marky_and_komi

I'm not sure I would use one of our high picks on a small grinder.

About Joenssu - I was talking about our 2nd rounder you know. The 1st would be better off on Nigel Williams or one of the high-potential forwards that fall to us. I assume that Tampa chooses Riku Helenius with the pick right before us. If not, then Jonathan Bernier.

I think we should use a 4th or 5th rounder on a Russian. These guys' stock will fall do to the lack of an agreement between the Russian Federation and the NHL. Ivan Vishnevsky will be the only picked high because he's already moved to North America and made the transition. I think we can get a real Russian steal in the 4th or 5th round.

In the 3rd round I would go for maybe Ahlenov, a talented Swedish defenceman. Maybe ch_nl knows more about him.

EDIT: "Patrik Berglund is a tall forward at 6'4 who had a good year and has been among the top players on the Swedish U18 team. During the past season, Berglund spent half the time with Västerås’ juniors, while playing men’s hockey with Västerås in the second tier league for the remaining part. He was excellent at the end of the season, playing extremely well in the exhibition games prior to the U18 WJC held in Sweden. As the tournament started, Berglund continued his strong play, but during the later games his play faded.

Berglund combines his size and great reach with good technical skills and decent scoring ability. He is tough to steal the puck from when he reaches full speed and protects the puck well. Berglund likes to drive the net and when he does not get a good shot opportunity, he is a good passer as well. He should play more physically and work on his speed. Earlier considered a bit one-dimensional and not very hardworking, Berglund has improved significantly in both areas during the last season. He is somewhat inconsistent in his play and a bit streaky though."

About Joenssu - I was talking about our 2nd rounder you know. The 1st would be better off on Nigel Williams or one of the high-potential forwards that fall to us. I assume that Tampa chooses Riku Helenius with the pick right before us. If not, then Jonathan Bernier.

I think we should use a 4th or 5th rounder on a Russian. These guys' stock will fall do to the lack of an agreement between the Russian Federation and the NHL. Ivan Vishnevsky will be the only picked high because he's already moved to North America and made the transition. I think we can get a real Russian steal in the 4th or 5th round.

In the 3rd round I would go for maybe Ahlenov, a talented Swedish defenceman. Maybe ch_nl knows more about him.

EDIT: "Patrik Berglund is a tall forward at 6'4 who had a good year and has been among the top players on the Swedish U18 team. During the past season, Berglund spent half the time with Västerås’ juniors, while playing men’s hockey with Västerås in the second tier league for the remaining part. He was excellent at the end of the season, playing extremely well in the exhibition games prior to the U18 WJC held in Sweden. As the tournament started, Berglund continued his strong play, but during the later games his play faded.

Berglund combines his size and great reach with good technical skills and decent scoring ability. He is tough to steal the puck from when he reaches full speed and protects the puck well. Berglund likes to drive the net and when he does not get a good shot opportunity, he is a good passer as well. He should play more physically and work on his speed. Earlier considered a bit one-dimensional and not very hardworking, Berglund has improved significantly in both areas during the last season. He is somewhat inconsistent in his play and a bit streaky though."

About Joenssu - I was talking about our 2nd rounder you know.

so was I.

begin was actually a 2nd rounder. joenssu would be a great 2nd rounder

I'd rather have a guy like bobby hughes even if he's small than all the big centermen à la urqu'hart.

anyways, I trust timmins and savard..these have a great draft history

But we're already loaded with grinders and many of them are small. There's no need to use a high pick on another one. We should spend it on something the organization lacks like a good defenceman or a hihg-potential center. I wouldn't mind getting Berglund one bit.

Haven't said anything on this topic yet as I have an idea Gainey will once again surprize everyone with his pick - can we all say Carey Price.....

No one saw that one coming, and there's a good chance again that it won't be anyone of the names that most are expecting?

(Price = hasn't that become great choice given what has since transpired with Theodore. Anyone remember the skeptics who railed at that choice?)

Edited by beliveau1

While reading my copy of THE HOCKEY NEWS 2006 DRAFT PREVIEW edition, I just noticed that both Edmonton & Carolina don't have a 1st round draft pick. Minnesota got Edmonton's 17th pick for Roloson & St. Louis got Carolina for Doug Weight.

The question is: What happens to the draft pick that either Minnesota or St. Louis got? :?-

Does it mean that Minnesota's pick goes from 17th to 30st if Edmonton wins the Cup or St. Louis' pick goes from 27st to 30th? :?-

For Minnesota, that would bite the most. :puke:

While reading my copy of THE HOCKEY NEWS 2006 DRAFT PREVIEW edition, I just noticed that both Edmonton & Carolina don't have a 1st round draft pick. Minnesota got Edmonton's 17th pick for Roloson & St. Louis got Carolina for Doug Weight.

The question is: What happens to the draft pick that either Minnesota or St. Louis got? :?-

Does it mean that Minnesota's pick goes from 17th to 30st if Edmonton wins the Cup or St. Louis' pick goes from 27st to 30th? :?-

For Minnesota, that would bite the most. :puke:

Yeah, it would suck but when you make a deal to acquire a good teamès 1st, you know you're taking a risk at a drop.

More and more I think we're going to end up with Sanguinetti and if not then hopefully one of Williams or Berglund.

Draft Order for the 1st round

1. St. Louis:

2. Pittsburgh:

3. Chicago:

4. Washington:

5. Boston:

6. Columbus:

7. Islanders:

8. Phoenix:

9. Minnesota:

10. Florida:

11. Los Angeles:

12. Atlanta:

13. Toronto:

14. Vancouver:

15. Tampa Bay:

16. Montreal:

17. Minnesota (from Edmonton in the Dwayne Roloson trade):

18. Colorado: Mike Forney.

19. Anaheim:

20. San Jose:

21. Rangers:

22. Philadelphia:

23. Washington (from Nashville in the Brendan Witt trade):

24. Buffalo:

25. New Jersey:

26. Calgary:

27. Dallas:

28. Ottawa:

29. Detroit:

30. St. Louis (from Carolina in the Doug Weight trade):

Links:

NHL.com's Entry Draft

Forecaster's Draft Center

TSN's Mock draft

RedLine Report's Mock Draft

Internation Scouting Service

BTH's Mock Draft

I also wished Gainey would trade up for Brassard. It makes sense on more than one level:

1- No young high-offense potential #1/#2 center in the system beside perhaps Plekanec.

2- Obvious connection to Latendresse. That could be our Oates/Neely duo.

3- Draft is very poor on good d-men, none appears to be available at our rank.

4- Need to clear some salary cap/roster spot for Arnott and RFAs/UFAs

5- Brassard is a Franco! :P

I'd like to see Montreal take a shot at Francois Bouchard. He's rated as the best goal scorer, power play performer and the quickest hands according to Sportsnet.ca's skills rating page. He's inconsistent and something of an underachiever. Still worth a shot... maybe in the 4th or 5th round.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/06NHL_draf...can_skaters.php

Edited by shortcat1

I'd like to see Montreal take a shot at Francois Bouchar. He's rated as the best goal scorer, power play performer and the quickest hands according to Sportsnet.ca's skills rating page. He's inconsistent and something of an underachiever. Still worth a shot... maybe in the 4th or 5th round.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/06NHL_draf...can_skaters.php

Wow, thanks for the link.

Brassard is:

2nd Goal scorer

1st Playmaker

2nd PP performer

2nd best hands

2nd dedicated

3rd hardest worker

2nd team leader

1st hockey sense

1st big goals

1st faceoffs

1st penalty killer

GET THIS KID!!!

I don't understand. Was he charged with something or are you referring to the official hiring announcement?

wish list.

#4 is done. accomplished. fullfilled. cleared. etc

Wow, thanks for the link.

Brassard is:

2nd Goal scorer

1st Playmaker

2nd PP performer

2nd best hands

2nd dedicated

3rd hardest worker

2nd team leader

1st hockey sense

1st big goals

1st faceoffs

1st penalty killer

GET THIS KID!!!

In the silly proposals category, I'd like to propose mine:

-Ribeiro (only to get rid of him, even if we have to pay to give him! :P)

-Zednik

-Perezhoghin (it has to hurt a bit, no?)

-1st rounder

-one of these two many goalie prospect (michaud, heino-lindberg, etc)

but actually, if a team has a hard on Perez, I think 1st + Perez would be enough to get that pick.

--------------

on another note, I wouldn't mind Yuri Alexandrov as a participation prize :D

but actually, if a team has a hard on Perez, I think 1st + Perez would be enough to get that pick.

We need a drooling smiley! If Perezhogin is needed to draft a guy like Brassard, I'm all for it. I like Kosty better than Zhog, so I'd be happy if Kosty takes Zhog's spot in the lineup.

In the silly proposals category, I'd like to propose mine:

-Ribeiro (only to get rid of him, even if we have to pay to give him! :P )

-Zednik

-Perezhoghin (it has to hurt a bit, no?)

-1st rounder

-one of these two many goalie prospect (michaud, heino-lindberg, etc)

I was thinking about Aebischer, but all teams picking early have a good goalie. The only exception is St-Loo but we can forget about that. There's still the possibility that Columbus gives up on Denis and think Aebischer would be a better #1 goalie.

We could give our own pick (16th) to move up about 10 ranks, but we'd have to throw something else in there. Zednik + 16th could do it, depend who you trade with.

I wouldn't mind trading Perezhogin. He was a later 1st rounder, so him + a 16th for a Brassard pick could be an upgrade. Besides, we have plenty of wingers, especially since Higgins looks better on the wing than at center.

I'm thinking to get Brassard, Habs would have to trade with one of these teams:

5. Boston:

Montreal trade with Boston? Hard to imagine.

6. Columbus:

This is somewhere the Habs could move. Columbus already has Nash, Zherdev and Brulé. I assume they'd be looking for a D to pick; or trade down if they can find a good deal. Is Aebischer + 16th worth Denis + 6th?

7. Islanders:

New GM in NY. I'm scared here that Ted Nolan who was coaching in the QMJHL last season convinces his boss to pick Brassard. Or maybe the new GM will try to make a splash and trade his pick for an established name so as to make the playoffs asap.

8. Phoenix:

Another place the Habs could move in. Phoenix could actually use a guy like Brassard. I wonder if Gainey could pawn off Ribeiro to Phoenix along with something else worth the pick.

9. Minnesota:

Another team with whom the Habs could swap picks. Though everyone sees Minny pick local product Okposo.

10. Florida:

This is one of the most likely teams with whom to trade, since Keenan isnt the patient type. However Brassard might be off the board at this time.